Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Bit deep..

Aaaa yes, normal summer weather.

Last weeks during some severe rain some mother filmed her kids running around in the 1 M or so deep water on the road, calling for then to do a belly flop.
Apparently she do not know that much of that water have been thru a sewer, and actually due to the overflow in sewers many of the beaches around Aarhus was closed due to Coli bacteria in the water.

The ignorance of some / many people never ceases to amaze me.

We don't often see roads flooding over here but just recently the rains have caused havoc, in some places moreso than others.

Hope you have plenty of tread depth, I would have slowed down a bit, not worth taking risks when you can't see the depth!

I remember in the early 90 ties in my Opel kadett, going fishing and as always back then in a hurry, i came down a hill and at the bottom was a slight right turn before it went up hill again.
But as it was after rain i dident expect the 10 - 20 CM of water on the road there,,,,,, good thing there was no oncoming traffic cuz you cant aquaplane and turn, so when i got out of the water and had visibility again i was in the wrong lane.

BTW some like me might not know what a ford can also be.

A shallow place in a river or stream allowing one to walk or drive across.

In Danish we call it a "vadested", that translate to a place where you can walk across a river in fairly low water. ( i assume in old Danish vade mean walk, it is a old word still in use some places )

we call them vaders English call them Waders
"high waterproof boots, or a waterproof garment for the legs and body, used especially by anglers when fishing"

Probably one of the 500 or so Danish words that made it into the English language when we had a presence over there in the old days.
OR ! vice versa.

Hope you have plenty of tread depth, I would have slowed down a bit, not worth taking risks when you can't see the depth!

I know the road very well, seen it do this and driven through it a dozen times. Tyres are good too.

In Danish we call it a "vadested", that translate to a place where you can walk across a river in fairly low water. ( i assume in old Danish vade mean walk, it is a old word still in use some places )
Ford actually comes from your/Norwegian word fjord, but seems to have changed its meaning in its travels from a piece of flat smooth water to a piece of shallow flat smooth water. If it rains then we have to wade through our fords, but wade is only used for walking through water, and only when it is deep enough to not be able to walk normally.

I'd heard it was bad over your way in the NW, I've seen some of the Whaley Bridge stuff on the news too (I can't believe they built a new housing estate at the bottom of a dam!)

Hopefully that's in hand now - the drains here are struggling with the amount we're getting here too, just a mile away some of the sewers burst up so people were seeing turds and used johnnies floating past their front windows ( that's poo and condoms for our non-UK friends) :sick:

I had some new tyres fitted last week and even with a couple of hundred miles on the car twitched on the M1 during one of the recent storms, then saw a few cars lined up against the embankment smashed up so hopefully those new tyres saved us from a worse fate!

Back