ford taurus tries to run me into the barrier

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
here's a copy of the youtube description, to save you a click:

this just happened to me this morning. i saw the taurus coming up behind me and begin to tailgate me. i was already doing the speed limit in the slow lane with a safe following distance to the jeep ahead of me. about the time i passed the little white van, the taurus was so close that i couldn't see his front grille or headlights in my rearview - keep in mind that the rear cam is mounted at the top of my nearly vertical rear window. i let off the gas to give him a hint to back off, and hopefully prevent him from cutting off the van to make an unsafe pass. he didn't seem to like that and floored it to make the gap. i sped up because i thought he was about to clip me in the rear. as he passes me, he hit his brakes and began moving into my lane while still alongside me. i thought for sure he was about to hit my front corner, so i hit the brakes and swerved to compensate for the crash i thought was about to happen - i didn't want him pushing me into the wall; i'd rather PIT him instead. there was no contact but i don't think it could have possibly been any closer. and then he lazily drifted over to the left and cut off an altima, though nowhere near as bad as he did to me.

i think if i had been driving a beater pickup or something, i wouldn't have hit the brakes, and would have let him hit me and spin himself out into the wall.

morons like this need their license revoked and some hefty fines so that maybe they'll realize that what they're doing is deadly.

good advert for the @viofo a119!

Last edited:
I think if it had been me, i'd have let him connect with my bumper then PIT manoeuvred him into the barrier. The problem with idiots like this is they do that, knowing that the majority of people will take evasive action to avoid a collision, so they basically get away with it.... if they end up shiny side down with the arms detached at the elbows as a result of their stupidity, they might think twice before doing it again

this just happened to me this morning. i saw the taurus coming up behind me and begin to tailgate me. i was already doing the speed limit in the slow lane with a safe following distance to the jeep ahead of me. about the time i passed the little white van, the taurus was so close that i couldn't see his front grille or headlights in my rearview - keep in mind that the rear cam is mounted at the top of my nearly vertical rear window. i let off the gas to give him a hint to back off, and hopefully prevent him from cutting off the van to make an unsafe pass. he didn't seem to like that and floored it to make the gap. i sped up because i thought he was about to clip me in the rear. as he passes me, he begins moving into my lane. i thought for sure he was about to hit my front corner, so i hit the brakes and swerved to compensate for the crash i thought was about to happen - i didn't want him pushing me into the wall; i'd rather PIT him instead. there was no contact but i don't think it could have possibly been any closer. and then he lazily drifted over to the left and cut off an altima, though nowhere near as bad as he did to me.

i think if i had been driving a beater pickup or something, i wouldn't have hit the brakes, and would have let him hit me and spin himself out into the wall.

morons like this need their license revoked and some hefty fines so that maybe they'll realize that what they're doing is deadly.

Hi Gibson, you know how I am always talking about the drivers in Frederick, Maryland and surrounding area, that is the exact stunt they pull (and others), that happens to me at least every two weeks are so!! I went to the police station once and gave them the license number and told them the story, their answer, we didn't see it, and I must have did something to provoke him. Next time call us (their standard answer). Like they are going to come to where ever I happen to be and do something, yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!
They just flat out don't give a damn.

I think if it had been me, i'd have let him connect with my bumper then PIT manoeuvred him into the barrier. The problem with idiots like this is they do that, knowing that the majority of people will take evasive action to avoid a collision, so they basically get away with it.... if they end up shiny side down with the arms detached at the elbows as a result of their stupidity, they might think twice before doing it again

i honest to God expected there to be bent metal. i thought there WAS going to be contact and that he was about to pit himself across the front of my car. that's why i swerved left - to compensate for the hit i thought was about to happen. i didn't want him to force me into the wall, where my right tires would catch and almost certainly flip me over. yes, i used to race cars, but it wasn't wheel-to-wheel racing (it was autocross), so i'm not used to having a vehicle THAT close to the front of my car at 65-70 mph. if i was that comfy with it, i probably WOULD have let him hit me, but the instinct to brake was too strong. at least my racing experience kicked in so that when i cut the wheel at 70 mph and there was no contact and i began to skid, i knew how to correct and save it. not trying to brag, just stating fact. besides - in wheel-to-wheel racing, if you brake check someone or deliberately cause a crash (note that i did not use the word "accident"), you get black-flagged and lose all chance of earning points for that race, so there's a lot of disincentive there. you'd think the chance of dying (or getting shot at - this IS texas after all!) would be enough disincentive for this kind of thing on public highways, too.

Hi Gibson, you know how I am always talking about the drivers in Frederick, Maryland and surrounding area, that is the exact stunt they pull (and others), that happens to me at least every two weeks are so!! I went to the police station once and gave them the license number and told them the story, their answer, we didn't see it, and I must have did something to provoke him. Next time call us (their standard answer). Like they are going to come to where ever I happen to be and do something, yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!
They just flat out don't give a damn.

that's why i didn't bother reporting it, but it's also why i included a good 30 seconds leading up to the event - to show that there was no provocation or prior interaction.

watching it again and looking at the rearview, it looks like he almost caused a second accident as well. there was a black dodge tailgating the little white work van (which was apparently tailing the taurus since you never see him till after the taurus passes me), and when the van slowed down because of what happened between me and the taurus (he probably thought there would be contact too), the black dodge almost rear-ended the van.

i really do hope this guy learns his lesson the hard way. i just hope he doesn't take anyone else out when he finally does it. no, that's not the Christian thing to say, but some people only seem to be able to learn things the hard way. like backing up their important data - they never do it till their hard drive crashes, and they actually lose their data. doesn't matter how many times you tell them. they just go on, acting like a child, till it finally bites them in the ass and then they scream and holler... like a child. because mentally, that's what they are.

Last edited:
Possible insurance scam & on a construction zone (double fines). It looks like it was on purpose.

Love your video! Especially when you zoomed in on the license plate. That idiot driver must have been mentally impaired, or maybe texting (same thing).

That dude got to make a smart choice and get a bicycle or use public transport, cuz that right there was a stunning display of clueless ness, and that's about as mildly as i can put it in words.

I just started using zooming too, only fair i think to give the deserved exposure to some people.

I live in hope that somebody who sees the vid will recognize the plate and 'customize' the car for him while it's parked ;) As the mountain-dwelling Baptists say around here "It's time someone had a word of prayer with him", and that kind of praying gets done with fists :eek:

Phil

Nice captures, both of them. What was going the mind of the junk tosser ???? Must be a Mercedes thing.

I wouldn't have applied any brakes :cool: :whistle:

That dude got to make a smart choice and get a bicycle or use public transport, cuz that right there was a stunning display of clueless ness, and that's about as mildly as i can put it in words.

I just started using zooming too, only fair i think to give the deserved exposure to some people.

public transport isn't really an option this far away from the city. the only thing out here is what we call the "park n ride" system, which is kinda like a hub n spoke system (with no wheel/rim at the end of the spokes). basically a few large bus stations at the outskirts/suburbs that only go to downtown houston and back.

in fact, that wreck i was in where the truck drove into the side of me... i was on my way home from one of those park n ride stations.

The first video looks like insurance scam to me, the tosser with the rubbish is twat who needs nicking

Not sure why you'd need to justify anything you did. You were staying in lane. You were in front of him. He was entitled to nothing from you. Period.

He's one of those aholes who thinks it's his road/racetrack and everyone else is an annoyance getting in his way. So he weaves in and out of lanes recklessly to increase his speed by 1%. Then gets angry when not everyone bows down to serve his needs, and pulls a dangerous stunt to punish them.

How I wish we could have separate roads just for people like that. Put them all together and enjoy the predictable results.

P.S. I'm starting to seriously question what is the safest response when that kind of thing is done to you. I've seen videos where someone in that situation instinctively brakes/steers, ends up fishtailing from side to side, then crashes.

I'm seriously starting to think that the safest response is to maintain speed and direction, i.e. to consciously avoid braking or steering. Let the collision happen, but stay in control of your own vehicle.
I think it would be safer for the person behind, and worse for the person in front carrying out the 'attack'. And I'm fine with that. And I'd be happy to explain my behaviour to the police afterwards. I'm not going to put myself in danger when someone does that to me.

this just happened to me this morning. i saw the taurus coming up behind me and begin to tailgate me. i was already doing the speed limit in the slow lane with a safe following distance to the jeep ahead of me. about the time i passed the little white van, the taurus was so close that i couldn't see his front grille or headlights in my rearview - keep in mind that the rear cam is mounted at the top of my nearly vertical rear window. i let off the gas to give him a hint to back off, and hopefully prevent him from cutting off the van to make an unsafe pass. he didn't seem to like that and floored it to make the gap. i sped up because i thought he was about to clip me in the rear. as he passes me, he hit his brakes and began moving into my lane while still alongside me. i thought for sure he was about to hit my front corner, so i hit the brakes and swerved to compensate for the crash i thought was about to happen - i didn't want him pushing me into the wall; i'd rather PIT him instead. there was no contact but i don't think it could have possibly been any closer. and then he lazily drifted over to the left and cut off an altima, though nowhere near as bad as he did to me.

Gibson99, if you take that video down to the police station they might look up his picture and show it to you, are even do something themselves (Maybe). I had a guy sideswipe me one time, then he took off running, I caught up to him and took picture of rear of his truck. The police showed me his picture, address, everything about him. Now this was in Maryland and you are in Texas, but you never know unless you try it, good luck.

Rajagra, I don't agree, for me the ultimate no matter about right or wrong should be to do all you can to avoid being involved in any accident, things don't always work out as expected and if he did crash in front of you, you could easily get tangled up in it, if you braked a bit to avoid this and he still crashed you could take the piss and laugh as you passed him, and be safe

The police showed me his picture, address, everything about him.
What were they expecting you to do with that information, or hoping you would do with that information?

I'm seriously starting to think that the safest response is to maintain speed and direction, i.e. to consciously avoid braking or steering.

And that is all which the law requires of you here. There is no law requiring you to avoid a crash, only laws regulating your own vehicle's operation ;) I'll try to avoid crashing, but if it is inevitable then I'm not going to try to avoid the person who caused it, though I will try to keep other innocent persons from becoming involved :cool:

Phil

What were they expecting you to do with that information, or hoping you would do with that information?
They went to his home and gave him a ticket, I appeared in court and swore to the happening. Judge did the rest.
This was the first and only time that I wasn't told " we weren't there so we didn't see it, nothing we can do"!

I had a girl drive by my house and through a paper bag into my front yard, (this wasn't the first time either). I called police, they came , told me "they didn't see it nothing they could do". Inside the bag, eating trash and her job receipt with name and address!! He did say he would drive to her house and scare the daylights out of her though, don't know if he did or not!
However, a few days later someone drove into their yard at night and did a few spin outs on their lawn and left a bag with her work receipt in it with eating trash, but the cops didn't see it so "their is nothing they could do":cool::D
It has never happened again.:)

Back