G1W Mount

Mount issue on G1W I mentioned many month ago. Overall dash camera ofr 52 usd is bargain what you get. Only mount part is weak, but as I proposed in g1w thread, you can add small peace of electrical tape to the camera part of bracket socket and it stiffens connection between wind-shield bracket mount and dash camera. Other than that it is a great buy for money.

I agree with niko. The camera is really good for what you pay. My mount is a little rough and sometimes the camera sits a little lopsided, but it is not horrible.
I think the LS300W mount will fit, but i am not %100 sure and have not pulled the trigger yet, but I have been looking at this 3M mount and this suction mount to solve that problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked mine. I don't find any movement in the mount, but I don't know how long it will last in desert heat. This thing may end up with a 1/4-20 nut and some JB Weld to construct a threaded mount.

The mount looks similar to the one for my X6, which was loose. I tried tightening the nut and it split apart.
I put a 1.5" cable clamp around the nut and tightened it, carefully, until there was no movement and it's been fine.
I also thought of applying a thin coating of Elmer's "No Wrinkle" Rubber Cement to the ball, which, like the electrical tape, would make a tighter connection possible, the advantage of the rubber glue being that it would be sticky and thus increase friction without excessive tightening of the nut. But the clamp has been all that I needed.

I think the LS300W mount will fit, but i am not %100 sure and have not pulled the trigger yet, but I have been looking at this 3M mount and this suction mount to solve that problem.
I think the stock suction mount is just fine as far as suction mounts go. unfortunately all suction mounts are unreliable in the summer,
so I bought that 3M mount.
it doesnt fit perfect, i had to trim part of it to fit into the slot on the g1w, and the plastic catch doesnt seat properly BUT there is still a lot of friction in the mounting so it is very solid.
and since there are no other options on the market anyway (that i can find), i think it works just fine.

IMHO, the mount which I received with my G1W from Baiklov is superior to the 'ball & socket' mounts because, as long as you attach the sucker to the windscreen so that the 'X axis' of the camera is horizontal:

1) it's tilt feature for the 'Z axis' (up/down) uses 36 interlocking teeth (like gears), giving 10 degrees of precision adjustment per tooth. Loosen the knob, adjust, tighten the knob to lock the teeth and it can't move up/down, period.

2) it's flat swivel feature for the 'Z axis' (left to right), is lubricated and twists easily and smoothly without the 'jerking' found in ball & sockets. It's spring loaded, with 'indents' that restrict it to 5 exact positions: 20 degrees left, 10 degrees left, straight ahead, 10 degrees right or 20 degrees right.

This makes an excellent mount regardless of the slope of the windscreen if you can mount it in the exact centre, but if you have to mount it left to right of centre, you do have to take the 'indent' angles into account.

3) it doesn't have a 'catch' to lock the camera to the mount, it uses a progressive friction fit, so it's easy to slide the camera to the left and pull it away from the mount. In comparison, my X6 mount has a 'catch' which can't be operated easily while mounted to the windscreen, I have to remove the mount and then squeeze the 'catch' to separate the camera from the mount, it's a pain. Of course only time will tell if repeated mounts/dismounts will wear down the friction fit leading to a 'too loose' fit that would result in the camera falling off the mount.

I've just discovered that the gps module for the f70g fits into the g1w perfectly. When I receive my non modded module I'll be removing the back panel with the ratcheting mount and using that to mount my g1w. Looks to be the smallest mount by far.

Had the camera a month now and so far very pleased with its overall performance. The suction cup sticks securely even to the screen-printed upper part of my windscreen and it's also secure where the mount slots into the top of the camera.

However, the swivel part that allows left to right movement is very sloppy and it's easy to accidentally knock it out of alignment. Have thought about applying something like silicone sealant to reduce the slop but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Murray

I had a similar problem with one of these swivel mounts I unscrewed it and used some plumbers silicon tape when tightened now it is tight.

dpick1947

Been using my G1W for a week & the mount has been rock solid - even sticks really well to the black, dimpled sunshade bit in the middle of the screen.
I've adapted it slightly - moved the boltholes nearer to the suction cup so the swivel mount piece is almost touching the suction cup. It's lifted the camera about 3/4".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P G1WX 3
jfsoto1988 G1WX 3
Talbas G1WX 5
T G1WX 3
winter4w G1WX 15
Back