G90 is Popular + Plus New Function (Sept. 13, 2014)

G90 vs G1W, which will you buy if price difference is only $10?

• G90 if price $55

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • G1W if price $45

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Judging by the choice of words it is possible but they choose not to, i don't know am i right or not but that's how i got it.
There is already many many not so happy crappy sounding A7LA30 owners so i think there is no reason to make them (us) even more unhappy.

the core architecture is the same, how much RAM they have, what other hardware it is being used with etc all has an impact, it may well be a common sense limitation because even though the chipset itself may be able to do it, it might struggle to do so if the rest of the hardware of the entry level version isn't capable, they all want to have as many features as possible/practical but if it causes stability issues then better off without it, reliability is by far much more important than features

Last edited:
Since i'm unlucky guinea pig for crappy sounding dvr i decided to make some more experimental stuff, but first i have to warn you.
Firmware mentioned here is made to a7la50 camera and it really can make your camera dead, not working, and impossible to recover, so
DO THIS ONLY TO YOUR A7LA30 IF YOU ARE WILLING TO BREAK IT
I did it at my own risk and i did not break anything yet, but i cannot give any guarantee that this will work for you.

I downloaded that timelapse firmware for "a7la50 no gps" model and i loaded that, camera start working with no problem, new timelapse and resolution is added to menu, and after 30 minutes test they both work just fine. Sometimes after long period hi res recording when i press stop button camera hangs and stop answering buttons, and reset button is only way to recover, if i let car power controll camera start and stop there has been no problem yet. Every video file is closed correctly even if camera hangs.

ONCE MORE, THIS MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR CAMERA PERMANENTLY
What i did?
I have first batch G90 A7LA30 dvr with crappy sound.
I downloaded this timelapse firmware packet, and inside there is FW for a7la50 no gps, i loaded that in to my camera (even if it's wrong one).

What did i get?
New higher resolution, i don't know how long time it keeps working or is it overheating in some point and destroy camera, but you can use original resolution if you like.
Timelapse, i don't know is it important, time will tell.
Sound is much better, maybe overall sound level is lower but high noises do not break sound anymore
LWDS in on menu, i did not try it, i don't care that option.
Download resolution sample images and small video at original quality HERE
Youtube sample is here, it shows only high and low sound levels and how camera deals with them now.

Edit- updated information to above test

After serious test cycle it turns out that a7la30 can work with this firmware no more than about 10 minutes, probably due to some memory issues.
- In every video mode camera hangs in some point, or do not recycle video files.
The most important information that i got from this test is that i do want a7la70 camera because of hi resolution.

Last edited:
That's absolutely brilliant thank-you mate - everything I'd ever read said that the higher resolutions weren't available on the a7la30 but this is working fine here at that 2560x1080 like you said!

Do all the a7 chips have the same base clock speed then and memory?

I tried loading the r553 A7la70 nogps version on and it generates video in all modes, but when you pick the 1080p 60fps option it creates a 60fps file but just does frame doubling so the 1080p 60fps does appear to not be supported on the a7la30 for definite.

2304x1296p and 2560x1080p are working here as well though on a confirmed a7la30!

That's very random indeed :)

In the name of science and all that good stuff I've just done a custom 24Mbps r551MP firmware and done a quick test.

1920x1080 and 2560x1080 footage are both running at 24Mbps now.

upload_2014-9-25_13-34-3.pngupload_2014-9-25_13-33-29.png

I'll give it a test to the shops and back for stability :)

g90-2560.jpg
g90-1980.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-25_13-33-17.png
    upload_2014-9-25_13-33-17.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes this is funny, in fastest time lapse mode every fifth frame was longer than others, like skipping 3 frames.
Anyway, this makes wonder how and why higher resolution works in this model, is it only marketing limit or is it maybe unstable or whatever.
But for now i think i let it be on high res and let's gather experiences.

Exactly - worst case it will be unstable and we flash back to older firmware or go up in a puff of smoke :D

Here's the 24Mbps firmware if you would like to have a play also:

(Deleted for instability issues)

Last edited:
Here's the 24Mbps firmware if you would like to have a play also:
Thanks i will try that, first i have to make some reference videos with this 18 Mbps firmware.

Wou, now it is what should have been in the first place, but better late than never!
I tried to be very careful because i wasn't sure is this safe update or not, but now 2 of 2 cameras are working perfectly.
It's a shame it is rainy day here, not the best weather to make tests.

Don't speak too early - the one I've tried hangs and doesn't loop any more - just done two hours and the screen kept freezing after ten! Not checked the card yet though

Don't speak too early - the one I've tried hangs and doesn't loop any more - just done two hours and the screen kept freezing after ten! Not checked the card yet though
Was it 18 or 24 Mbps?

The 24 mate, has yours been ok with the standard 18 then? Things like loop recording stopped working so it was one big file and the screen shutdown didn't work either?

I do know I want an a7la70 version now though :)

The 24 mate, has yours been ok with the standard 18 then? Things like loop recording stopped working so it was one big file and the screen shutdown didn't work either?
So far everything is working just fine, earlier today it did build many files and SOS button worked like it should.
This is that standard 18 Mbps and new high res, i filled TF card with random files and now i will try does it recycle files in real life.
I'll get back to this later.

I do know I want an a7la70 version now though :)
That is true, higher resolution was really good.
One thing i noticed,
camera do not shut down like it should, my camera shuts down but only because battery runs out in 15 sec:)

After serious test cycle it turns out that a7la30 can not take the heat of hi res video.
Here's facts:
- Camera do not shut down automatically.
- In hi res mode camera overheats and do not recycle video files and probably hangs in some point.
- Camera works and it does recycle videos normally if you use only 1920x1080 resolution.
- Probably - not tested - if you need timelapse it will work in basic HD resolution mode.
- It is possible to go back original firmware after testing.
The most important information that i got from this test is that i do want a7la70 camera because of hi resolution.

Do all the a7 chips have the same base clock speed then and memory?
that is the question. I don't understand why the manufacturers don't give more details about these chipsets.

@Sabe I don't know if it's because of Youtube, but you should check your originals because in your clip some frames are corrupted:
4QfpJnsSs49t2MyR

O8KRgCMDsOgk0eZV

U4bvjueBpeViRk0w

CroPTVIMoon4jKue

Last edited:
@Sabe I don't know if it's because of Youtube, but you should check your originals because in your clip some frames are corrupted:
No that's normal to me because i use that long extension cable to lense, sometimes cable takes spikes like that, maybe i should wrap cable in tin foil or something.
I tried to find differences between processors also but i didn't find any, funny secrets.

Last edited by a moderator:

It will happen in 1080p/30 fps as well. I think the firmware (50?/70) is utilizing 2GB of DDR ram ( not necessary ;)). The 30s have 1GB of DDR ram?

In terms of what they can do basically the A7LA70 is dual channel 1080p or single channel 1080p/60fps, the A7LA50 supports 2560x1080 and 2304x1296 both at 30fps and the A7LA30 just does 1920x1080.

Have to admit I am tempted to pick up an A7LA70. Going to sleep on it and decide but I really like what I saw!

Back