Garmin Dash Cam 55

I am keen to hear more on these units - looking at getting the Garmin Dash Cam 55 - quite like the time lapse function. I drive off-road a lot and wondering how stable the mount would be in such an environment?

Also the temperature issue concerns me as summers in Aus are pretty hot....

I have a dual battery system in the car and would probably wire the dash cam up to the auxiliary battery.

Thoughts?
I haven't had any problems with high temp. shutdowns (with software 2.90) Don't know about off-road driving.

Where are the reviews for this dashcam. I would have thought someone would have reviewed it by now on this site.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dash Cam 55 firmware version 3.10:

- Improved power up when the parking mode cable is connected
- Improved low battery handling
- Improved software stability when the device enters mass storage mode
- Improved video time stamp display when the device doesn't have GPS reception

Watched first 2 Videos on page 1 - Day/Night on 1440p/30fps

Not impressed with either Day or Night tbh. Not a patch on the Vico MF3 ... and it's in a similar price bracket.
Given ... it is only the first Video watched and may not display the Cam at its best.

Visually - It's a bit of a brick ... and could use some Styling.

Is it normal for a dashcam to treat parking mode video as saved video? I have 55GB of rain and moving shadows while parked. I think the camera has been constantly writing to the same 1GB all week, which seems like a bad thing.
I just experienced the same. I've had 55GB of parking mode video...
I wonder how do other cameras do this? One way I was thinking would be to dedicate max size for parking mode - it would do its own rotation when max size is reached.
Have you tried contacting Garmin about this?

Some other cams handle this by having specific card locations allocated for the different file types. This too can be a problem when that allocated space gets filled with the locked files and the expected function no longer works :eek: Yet if you allow those files to be over-written (even if only by their own kind) you could lose an incident you need which happened early in the recording :(

It's something of a paradox and the only solution is to reduce the number of files being saved or increase the memory capacity to make enough room for everything. Once again we see that everything with dashcams is a compromise somehow :rolleyes:

Phil

It's something of a paradox and the only solution is to reduce the number of files being saved or increase the memory capacity to make enough room for everything. Once again we see that everything with dashcams is a compromise somehow :rolleyes:

there are still some compromises involved anyway but one of the reasons why I feel timelapse is the better option for parking mode

there are still some compromises involved anyway but one of the reasons why I feel timelapse is the better option for parking mode
Sure if the storage is the main concern. You will miss a lot of stuff with timelapse...

Sure if the storage is the main concern. You will miss a lot of stuff with timelapse...

short duration parking is ok for motion detect type parking mode but easily overwritten before too long so storage is always a concern

The way I would want this to work is the parking mode video to be included in the normal rotation.
This way depending on the size of your card, you would always know how far back you can go.

Having it included as part of the normal recycling process is better than the way the Koreans seem to favour with their pre allocated partitions for different file types which can be quite limiting

New firmware 3.30 is available:

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.30:
-Improved image quality
-Improved device stability
-Improved safety camera alerts
-Improved motion detection when parking mode is enabled

New firmware 3.40 is available:

Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:
-Improved device stability
-Improved red light and speed camera alerts
-Improved mass storage reliability
-Fixed an issue that prevented red light and speed camera files from updating through Garmin Express

any updates on this camera? im thinking of getting it as my work truck/personal vehicle cam to swap between the 2..........

any updates on this camera? im thinking of getting it as my work truck/personal vehicle cam to swap between the 2..........
It's been pretty uneventful and boring for me (which is exactly the way I like it) Using it since about April 2017 pretty much 24/7 (with parking mode)
No problems with reliability or recording quality.

I'm having problems getting the latest safety camera update to install. On my second device and still cant get GE to install it. Tried MAC and PC versions. Anyone having similar experiences?

I'm having problems getting the latest safety camera update to install. On my second device and still cant get GE to install it. Tried MAC and PC versions. Anyone having similar experiences?
Yes, there is something wrong with this update. For me, it updates with no errors but next time it offers the same update again.

Thanks - same here! At some stage the update corrupted my first Garmin - I lost the voice command and other functions. As I said elsewhere I’m on my second thanks to Halfords (excellent customer care).

It’s software is version 3.4 but the cyclops camera update is still showing as the Jul 2017 version.

New to Garmin DC 55. So far, working great. I like voice commands. Very useful.

Back