Garmin Dash Cam 55

Hi everyone ! I just bought new Garmin 55 today. Have few problems during my first day of using it. My trip lasted 1 hour and 10 minutes. Memory Card original
1: Camera saved 3 videos automatically without my permission during my 30 minutes trip ( Voice control was off) ( Settings LOW sensibility )
2: On my MAC editing software FCPX won't recognise all Garmin 55 mp4 files , just few of them ( while camera is connected to my MAC )
3: On Garmin video player different length files after 1 hour and 10 minutes trip ( One of the is 29 min long and too many small ones) Car engine was switched off only once

Hi everyone ! I just bought new Garmin 55 today. Have few problems during my first day of using it. My trip lasted 1 hour and 10 minutes. Memory Card original
1: Camera saved 3 videos automatically without my permission during my 30 minutes trip ( Voice control was off) ( Settings LOW sensibility )
2: On my MAC editing software FCPX won't recognise all Garmin 55 mp4 files , just few of them ( while camera is connected to my MAC )
3: On Garmin video player different length files after 1 hour and 10 minutes trip ( One of the is 29 min long and too many small ones) Car engine was switched off only once

1. What folder are they in? Not sure about the "permission" - all dash cams will save video when they detect an "event", mostly thinking a collision happened.
2. Looks like you need to update FCPX with a proper codec.
3. Again, what folder are the files saved? Garmin 55 uses "105UNSVD" folder for normal driving videos; they are 1 minute in length, not configurable.

Lac

1. What folder are they in? Not sure about the "permission" - all dash cams will save video when they detect an "event", mostly thinking a collision happened.
2. Looks like you need to update FCPX with a proper codec.
3. Again, what folder are the files saved? Garmin 55 uses "105UNSVD" folder for normal driving videos; they are 1 minute in length, not configurable.

Lac
Thank you for your reply !
I just came back from another 1 hour test drive. This time another 4 saved videos. 7 minutes of footage is missing right in the middle of filming.
This time I did not used my FCPX ( which is up to date ) for importing Garmin 55 files ( Im a filmmaker )
I did watched them on Garmin player. There was 5 files 2min 16 min 29 min 12 min. One footage is missing ( about 7 minutes of filming) This is suppose to be the 3rd file
Also could you please advise me how to save the file to my MAC ? My computer could not play them. Its says that the files must be converted. I do have the OS High Sierra
But most frustrating thing is SAVED VIDEOS and missing in the middle files. I did not asked for saved videos
Kind regards

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 19.16.18.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 19.16.18.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 19.36.27.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 19.36.27.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 20.05.19.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 20.05.19.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 13
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is it going to be an issue keep the Dashcam 55 in the windscreen on a warm day? I'm talking sunlight, generally around 25 Celsius outside on a hot day (British summer), maybe max of 35 in a heatwave?

I ask because I recently purchased one, keep it attached to the windscreen, and on one of the very first hot days it completely stopped working.

I know the manual says to avoid hot temperatures and I had accepted that it might shut itself off and stop recording if it gets too hot, but I definitely wasn't expecting it to completely die, especially when they sell a cable designed to let you keep it in your car windscreen all the time!

This is really what I would expect to be able to do with a dashcam. I don't want to have to get it out of my glovebox, plug in the cable and position it every time I want to drive somewhere.

Maybe I've just been unlucky. How have you guys fared with keeping it on the windscreen on hot days?

I'm probably going to RMA it with Garmin. Disappointingly they don't pay for the shipping of the device to them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Number one problem with most dash cams is the memory card. Before returning your 55, get a high quality one (32-64GB) Some manufacturers label it as "High Endurance"
Step two, format it in your camera and drive a little trying different functions (travelapse, save picture, video)
Step three take the card out and insert it to your computer. Do not use any program but file explorer (finder)
You should see following structure:

root
+DCIM
++100EVENT
++101PHOTO
++102SAVED
++103PARKM
++104TLPSE
++105UNSVD

Depending on what functionality you invoke, there will be files in some folders.

If you cannot open it on your MAC, get a new one ;)

Lac

Here it is in a more graphical way. The MP4 files will open in QuickTime player by default.
Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 7.35.12 PM.png

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is it going to be an issue keep the Dashcam 55 in the windscreen on a warm day? I'm talking sunlight, generally around 25 Celsius outside on a hot day (British summer), maybe max of 35 in a heatwave?

I ask because I recently purchased one, keep it attached to the windscreen, and on one of the very first hot days it completely stopped working.

I know the manual says to avoid hot temperatures and I had accepted that it might shut itself off and stop recording if it gets too hot, but I definitely wasn't expecting it to completely die, especially when they sell a cable designed to let you keep it in your car windscreen all the time!

This is really what I would expect to be able to do with a dashcam. I don't want to have to get it out of my glovebox, plug in the cable and position it every time I want to drive somewhere.

Maybe I've just been unlucky. How have you guys fared with keeping it on the windscreen on hot days?

I'm probably going to RMA it with Garmin. Disappointingly they don't pay for the shipping of the device to them.

Any thoughts on this from anyone? I have my replacement now from Garmin but I'm kinda scared to keep it in the windscreen. Where do you guys keep your devices when not driving?

Well, I am using SG9665GC for past 6-7 months, but haven't used it in peak summer yet. Summer here is from April to July.
Still, whenever I park my car in sun, I always remove the dashcam from the wind-screen and let it hang in front of the RVM, thus avoiding direct sunlight. It doesn't need any cable disconnection. It has been working fine. I guess others may be doing something similar, unless they use it in parking mode.

Any thoughts on this from anyone? I have my replacement now from Garmin but I'm kinda scared to keep it in the windscreen. Where do you guys keep your devices when not driving?

Just use common sense. There is no consumer electronics that will sustain that kind of temperature for a long time. If you know that it's going to be a hot day and you can't park in the shade, put your camera in the glove box.

I’ve just purchased the Garmin 55 from John Lewis price matched to Halfords £119 but with a 2 year warranty. This is to replace my 3 year old Blackvue. The black vie absolutely failed recently and is now in the trash. I got hit from the rear and pushed into the car in front. It recorded up to just before the incident and after, but the file holding the incident is corrupted. So absolutely no good at all to help with insurance or with the police.

Dunno if this is of interest, but here goes.

I've now had my Garmin 55 for about 4 months & have to say I'm still very impressed & that's despite the slight annoyance of it recording things I've not asked it to.
Initially I was frequently attaching it to my computer to check footage & see just what unsolicited videos it had decided to record. The novelty having now worn off, for the last month, it's just sat in the car doing it's job & today I've decided to check what's been recorded - here's what's on the memory card: -

Events - NIL
Photo - 14 pics - all unsolicited - 1.89MB
Saved - 15 videos - probably 5 of which were requested by me - the rest unsolicited - 6.01GB
Parking Mode - NIL - I chose to turn this feature off soon after getting the camera hardwired, my street is too busy so it was frequently recording, plus even raindrops trigger it, so I was getting way too many saved files.
Travelapse - 3 videos - all unsolicited - 1.89GB
Unsaved - 21.2GB

Ideally the camera shouldn't record anything not requested, but after a month there's still plenty of room on the memory card for new footage to be stored so I can live with that level of intrusion. Turning off 'Voice Control' would no doubt prevent any unsolicited recordings, but I really like the option to tell the camera to save a file rather than having to pull over & press various buttons to do so.

I'm loving the quality of the saved video footage BTW.

cheers
Dash :cool:

I've now had my Garmin 55 for about 4 months & have to say I'm still very impressed & that's despite the slight annoyance of it recording things I've not asked it to.
Initially I was frequently attaching it to my computer to check footage & see just what unsolicited videos it had decided to record. The novelty having now worn off, for the last month, it's just sat in the car doing it's job & today I've decided to check what's been recorded - here's what's on the memory card: -

Events - NIL
Saved - 15 videos - probably 5 of which were requested by me - the rest unsolicited - 6.01GB
Parking Mode - NIL - I chose to turn this feature off soon after getting the camera hardwired, my street is too busy so it was frequently recording, plus even raindrops trigger it, so I was getting way too many saved files.
Unsaved - 21.2GB

Ideally the camera shouldn't record anything not requested, but after a month there's still plenty of room on the memory card for new footage to be stored so I can live with that level of intrusion. Turning off 'Voice Control' would no doubt prevent any unsolicited recordings, but I really like the option to tell the camera to save a file rather than having to pull over & press various buttons to do so.

cheers

You don't have to press various buttons. You just hold down the save button

Events - NIL
Unsaved - 21.2GB

cheers
Interesting. So all the "unwanted" images and videos are the result of malfunctioning voice control? To take a picture you first have to cue the camera with "OK Garmin" and then say "Take a picture" or "Save video" or "Start travelapse" That has to be some coincidence for this to happen multiple times. I am not saying that it it impossible, but something doesn't sound right.
I usually drive with my radio off or way down, so that may be the reason why I have zero "unwanted" recordings in about 15 months.

OK Jack - so just the one button. This would still require me having to stop the car as I have the dashcam neatly tucked away on the passenger side behind the rear view mirror, which suits me as I'd rather not be distracted by it whilst driving. Voice control seems the better option to me.

Interesting. So all the "unwanted" images and videos are the result of malfunctioning voice control? To take a picture you first have to cue the camera with "OK Garmin" and then say "Take a picture" or "Save video" or "Start travelapse" That has to be some coincidence for this to happen multiple times. I am not saying that it it impossible, but something doesn't sound right.
I usually drive with my radio off or way down, so that may be the reason why I have zero "unwanted" recordings in about 15 months.

Hi lacibaci

I think 95% of the unwanted saved files I get are whilst the wife is in the car, she tends to talk incessantly & the dashcam seems to respond to her voice, I often hear it doing it's saved video etc beeping when she's in full flow. Also, when in the car on my own I have a sports radio program on, so all dialogue rather than music, & that triggers the camera occasionally too. To me the 'OK Garmin' command needs to be recognised more definitively before the camera's ears prick up, or maybe change that term to something 'even more' obscure - Rumpelstiltskin maybe??

Hi Iacibaci,

I have had my Garmin 55 for a couple of months now, and it seems like you are the person in the know...

I still have it wired in using the supplied 12V cigarette adaptor. I have hard wired all of my dashcams in the past, but never with a battery discharge prevention device (so only switched live from fuse box).

One of the reasons I decided to buy the Garmin was the parking mode and voice. But I still haven't bought the parking mode cable. However, a number of reviews I have read suggest that when in parking mode it saves clips with movement. This doesn't work for me as I have to park in a public car park everyday. Do you know if there is a way to toggle the logic for parking mode, i.e. only save clips that have detected g-sensor whilst parked?

As an alternative I was contemplating making my own bdp device using an arduino as a base, that way I could include all of the logic I wanted. Do you happen to know how the parking mode works in the garmin cameras and/or official parking mode cables?

Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

Hi Iacibaci,

I have had my Garmin 55 for a couple of months now, and it seems like you are the person in the know...

I still have it wired in using the supplied 12V cigarette adaptor. I have hard wired all of my dashcams in the past, but never with a battery discharge prevention device (so only switched live from fuse box).

One of the reasons I decided to buy the Garmin was the parking mode and voice. But I still haven't bought the parking mode cable. However, a number of reviews I have read suggest that when in parking mode it saves clips with movement. This doesn't work for me as I have to park in a public car park everyday. Do you know if there is a way to toggle the logic for parking mode, i.e. only save clips that have detected g-sensor whilst parked?

As an alternative I was contemplating making my own bdp device using an arduino as a base, that way I could include all of the logic I wanted. Do you happen to know how the parking mode works in the garmin cameras and/or official parking mode cables?

Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich
Unfortunately it is not possible to change the behavior of parking mode.

Lac

Damn. This is a real shame, and deal breaker, on what is an otherwise good dash cam. Why do Garmin think I would like to record someone driving past my car in a car park?

It sounds like I need to have a go at trying to make something that does a better job. I'm sure others would be interested...

Do you know whether I MUST use a Garmin parking mode cable to make the built in parking mode work? Or could I use a different brand?

Back