Getting IFFY results in Parking Mode

DashCamUser123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am not getting consistent results in Parking Mode. The other day, my Viofo A129 Duo was recording for about 2 1/2 hours and then did not record for the next 3 hours. It was parked on the shoulder of the road so traffic was always moving and triggering the motion detection.

Even as I was walking up to the car from behind after having it parked for 5 hours, opening up the trunk (rear cam would be pointing right at it) and getting into the car. Nothing was being recorded. It only started to record again when my car was moving. I have had this happen several times.

Makes you lose confidence in the reliability of the Viofo A129 Duo.

Have you checked the voltage of your battery? It may be cutting off due to low voltage. You can buy a cheap volt meter that plugs into your cig socket to display the voltage.

Reactions: LMN
Have you checked the voltage of your battery? It may be cutting off due to low voltage. You can buy a cheap volt meter that plugs into your cig socket to display the voltage.
I use the BlackBoxMyCar Bi-750 and BE-750 batteries chained together. Not sure how I would check that while away from car for 5+ hours. I am thinking the issue is with the dashcam itself?

I am not getting consistent results in Parking Mode. The other day, my Viofo A129 Duo was recording for about 2 1/2 hours and then did not record for the next 3 hours. It was parked on the shoulder of the road so traffic was always moving and triggering the motion detection.

Even as I was walking up to the car from behind after having it parked for 5 hours, opening up the trunk (rear cam would be pointing right at it) and getting into the car. Nothing was being recorded. It only started to record again when my car was moving. I have had this happen several times.

What FW version do You use ?
Older versions (since 1.5) with 2 cameras are always result sleep/gap bug.
Using of v1.5 with LowBitrate is recommended for stability.
And this theme is useful.

Last edited:
What FW version do You use ?
Older versions (since 1.5) with 2 cameras are always result sleep/gap bug.
Using of v1.5 with LowBitrate is recommended for stability.
And this theme is useful.
I have 2 x A129 Duo.
One from 2018 has FW 1.9
One from 2021 has FW 2.1

Bitrate set to Low.
Parking Motion set to Medium

Wish a future FW will put all Parking Mode files into a Parking Mode folder.

What I can do is use both cameras. One for driving files which I never need to save unless an accident happens. One for Parking Mode files which I do want to save and review when it is needed.

1. Disable Motion Detection. Use low bitrate recording. Motion Detection is unreliable.
2. If #1 is already set, your problem is likely a memory card issue. What memory card are you using? Is it genuine?
3. #2 is assuming your car is hardwired properly. And that the fuse you selected isn't tied to other systems, and causing conflicts.

If you wish to share your year, make, model of car, along with a picture of the fuse box diagram, we can offer advice on whether the hardwire appears proper or not.

I run 2 x A129 Duos (one in my car and one in a family member's car), and neither has suffered a single failure in the two years of ownership. I do try to format the memory cards every so often, as that can create an issue in the long term with constant use.

1. Disable Motion Detection. Use low bitrate recording. Motion Detection is unreliable.
2. If #1 is already set, your problem is likely a memory card issue. What memory card are you using? Is it genuine?
3. #2 is assuming your car is hardwired properly. And that the fuse you selected isn't tied to other systems, and causing conflicts.

If you wish to share your year, make, model of car, along with a picture of the fuse box diagram, we can offer advice on whether the hardwire appears proper or not.

I run 2 x A129 Duos (one in my car and one in a family member's car), and neither has suffered a single failure in the two years of ownership. I do try to format the memory cards every so often, as that can create an issue in the long term with constant use.

The Viofo A129 Duo is advertised to work in Parking Mode and one option to set is Motion Detection. If it is "unreliable" then that is likely a manufacturer issue. They should fix it with a firmware. Sometimes it is easy to blame it on other issues and that can be true in some cases.

Since the motion detection likely works digitally, there is a motion sensor that detects how much in a (video) frame (the coverage of the camera) has changed. I have DVR's that use digital motion detection and they have settings for detecting motion. It can be activated by the number of pixels that change (ex. if 30% of the frame pixels change, start recording). I assume this can be set by motion detection sensitivity.

I use BlackBoxMyCar Bi-750 and BE-750 batteries chained together.

I use the Motion Detection feature of the Viofo because I am interested only in viewing videos where motion is detected. If I use only low bit-rate, I assume that means the video is always recording which is not what I want. I can imagine the time it would take to go thru all that video footage.

The EVO 256gb cards I use are reliable as far as I am aware. Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon.

The Viofo A129 Duo is advertised to work in Parking Mode and one option to set is Motion Detection. If it is "unreliable" then that is likely a manufacturer issue. They should fix it with a firmware. Sometimes it is easy to blame it on other issues and that can be true in some cases.

Since the motion detection likely works digitally, there is a motion sensor that detects how much in a (video) frame (the coverage of the camera) has changed. I have DVR's that use digital motion detection and they have settings for detecting motion. It can be activated by the number of pixels that change (ex. if 30% of the frame pixels change, start recording). I assume this can be set by motion detection sensitivity.

I use BlackBoxMyCar Bi-750 and BE-750 batteries chained together.

I use the Motion Detection feature of the Viofo because I am interested only in viewing videos where motion is detected. If I use only low bit-rate, I assume that means the video is always recording which is not what I want. I can imagine the time it would take to go thru all that video footage.

The EVO 256gb cards I use are reliable as far as I am aware. Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Motion detection is extremely unreliable, on many Dash Camera Brands. Not just the Viofo A129. It is recommended you use low bitrate recording mode instead. While I realize this generates numerous files of routine events, and not just incidences, motion detection can miss out on a lot. Even when buffered motion detection is supported.

Say someone brakes into your car and you have Motion Detection Enabled. The video would only capture the point where the person triggered the Motion Detection and X seconds before. Or if not triggered, then maybe opening or slamming the door (G-Sensor) Where as low bitrate would record everything. Assuming the person of course didn't steal the camera or memory card.

The same with an accident with Motion Detection / G-Sensor on Sensitive while the car is parked. It would only record the event itself, and if buffered mode is supported, X seconds before the event. Low Bitrate records everything in live, real time, video.

It is highly recommended you use Low Bitrate recording. While less convenient, it is far more reliable.

I will agree, if it is advertised it should also work, and the company should fix it, or issue a statement saying the mode is abandoned.

I must also say i dont understand the reluctance of at least trying low bitrate, cuz by the sound of it ( where the car is parked ), the camera will more or less be recording all the time anyway, and so low bitrate might actually save some memory card space VS the higher bitrate motion detect.
I also do not understand why you would look thru parking guard material, not least if nothing at all happened, this is also why beside using low bitrate i also have the G sensor on to lock or at least indicate times in the footage where there would be something worth seeing.

There is a vast difference in motion detection in a dashcam and a CCTV camera system ( at least a new one of the kind )
My cheap home CCTV ( IP cameras ) use Smart Motion Detect, which mean only human or vehicle shapes near my parked car trigger, cats - dogs - hedgehogs - rain - fog do not trigger anything.
But i dont think anything like that can be expected in dash cameras anytime soon.

Advertised functions should work well, but often don't with dashcams. It's a situation which has always existed that would hardly be tolerated by the buying public with anything else, which is why I don't understand it's widespread overt acceptance in dashcams o_O :mad:

Motion detect is apparently not easy to do well with dashcams, as few can do it well. It seems this cam does better than most but is still deficient.Therefore I would neither recommend this cam for that usage, nor use it that way if I had one. I have a different cam which IMHO does motion detect extremely well, but I still don't use it because it also has low-bitrate recording available which I feel is a better approach. There's advantages and disadvantages to each way and since you can't have both together you have to choose one over the other, living with the consequences of your choice.

My logic is that I'll rarely need a parking recording, so time spent scanning videos to find an event I need won't amount to much overall. The certainty of low-bitrate capturing the event exceeds any time I'd save having motion detect point me to that rare event which it might not even have captured. My ideal would be to have low-bitrate coupled with a well-done g-sensor to point out an event, but AFAIK nobody is doing that yet. Or at least not well enough to match their advertised claims :rolleyes:

Welcome to dashcamming where frustration is packed into every box free of charge :LOL::cry:

Phil

Just to make sure.

This is not just a dashcam thing.

Take windows the premier computer operating system, most of us oldies would very much prefer if it had not changed since windows XP, but it have and we have had to deal with that.
When i install windows 10 on my PC, i have to spend a half / whole hour after that disabling god know what, and delete bloatware ASO just to get it to look somewhat familiar.
And every time in my life when i have gone to vote , i have felt "YES" only to be almost instantaneous replaced with "Nooooooooo" when i see what the idiots i have voted for do to repay me.

I also do not understand why you would look thru parking guard material,

Not a fan of dashcam videos on Youtube then ;) There are loads of clips of parked cars catching all kinds of shenanigans that are totally unrelated to the dashcam owner.

Having said that ... I don't often view my parking videos either ...

Saw-Master, you are right. My Viofo A129 Duo has failed me in Parking Mode when I have really needed it. Parking at mall and white SUV parks next to my car. Slams door open and dings my car door. Yep, no recording for that time period. As you say, VIOFO A129 Duo (in my case) is NOT reliable in parking Mode when using motion detection.

They SHOULD be reliable because I assume dashcams use digital motion detection because the camera has to film thru glass. I think software detects how many of the pixels has changed in a frame and if enough pixels has changed, then that is assumed to be motion. I have a DVR that works on digital motion detection.

I also use a GoPro and heard the metal thunk when the SUV door hit my car. GoPro has sound recording.

I will try low bit-rate in Parking Mode. I want to see if this mode draws more power / battery then the Motion Detection (auto event detection) mode.

Saw-Master, you are right. My Viofo A129 Duo has failed me in Parking Mode when I have really needed it. Parking at mall and white SUV parks next to my car. Slams door open and dings my car door. Yep, no recording for that time period. As you say, VIOFO A129 Duo (in my case) is NOT reliable in parking Mode when using motion detection.

They SHOULD be reliable because I assume dashcams use digital motion detection because the camera has to film thru glass. I think software detects how many of the pixels has changed in a frame and if enough pixels has changed, then that is assumed to be motion. I have a DVR that works on digital motion detection.

I also use a GoPro and heard the metal thunk when the SUV door hit my car. GoPro has sound recording.

I will try low bit-rate in Parking Mode. I want to see if this mode draws more power / battery then the Motion Detection (auto event detection) mode.

You should always use low bitrate. Motion just isn't reliable - I may be wrong here, but I don't think Viofo has added Buffered Motion Detection (Captures a few seconds before event). Even if they have, it doesn't negate low bitrate parking. Which records live video in lesser quality. No need to worry about a "missed event".

You should always use low bitrate. Motion just isn't reliable - I may be wrong here, but I don't think Viofo has added Buffered Motion Detection (Captures a few seconds before event). Even if they have, it doesn't negate low bitrate parking. Which records live video in lesser quality. No need to worry about a "missed event".
Buffered Parking Mode is available on the regular A129 DUO and the A129 Pro DUO.

Low bit-rate is good but you have way too many files to go through. Way too many. If there was software that chained all the files together (F+F+F+F etc.) and (Rear+R+R+R etc.) and plays thru one file after another, then it would help.

Viofo A129 Duo Parking Mode is cr*p. It regularly does not record everything leaving gaps of an hour or more. Hoe can Viofo implement Parking Mode so poorly? Right now, it also mixes up files putting some driving ones into Parking folder and some parking ones in the Movie folder.

Pretty much it seems to only work in Low bit-rate Parking mode with way too many files (good luck to search thru them) and the motion detection works maybe 50% of the time based on my experience. Leaves gaps of an hour or longer in high traffic areas where you know the cam should be recording in Auto-Event Detection mode. But nothing is recorded even in great light.

Low bit-rate is good but you have way too many files to go through. Way too many. If there was software that chained all the files together (F+F+F+F etc.) and (Rear+R+R+R etc.) and plays thru one file after another, then it would help.

Viofo A129 Duo Parking Mode is cr*p. It regularly does not record everything leaving gaps of an hour or more. Hoe can Viofo implement Parking Mode so poorly? Right now, it also mixes up files putting some driving ones into Parking folder and some parking ones in the Movie folder.

Pretty much it seems to only work in Low bit-rate Parking mode with way too many files (good luck to search thru them) and the motion detection works maybe 50% of the time based on my experience. Leaves gaps of an hour or longer in high traffic areas where you know the cam should be recording in Auto-Event Detection mode. But nothing is recorded even in great light.

I own two Viofo A129 Duo's for well over two years each and neither has once failed in Parking Mode. Sounds like your issue is either an incompatible memory card (Sandisk Ultra Plus are an example), improper hardwire, or poor fuse choice.

For all my complaining about Viofo, the A129 Duo is rock solid and your issues are definitely user error related.

I own two Viofo A129 Duo's for well over two years each and neither has once failed in Parking Mode. Sounds like your issue is either an incompatible memory card (Sandisk Ultra Plus are an example), improper hardwire, or poor fuse choice.

For all my complaining about Viofo, the A129 Duo is rock solid and your issues are definitely user error related.
Based on the above answers and other user comments, it is not user related. Don't try and dismiss a valid issue by saying user related. Memory card is good. Firmware is good. Most of the time I do not even need to review videos (no time). Only when something happens, then I check and that's when I find out the cam is just not reliable in Auto-Detection Parking Mode.

In low bit-rate Parking Mode, it appears to be reliable, as it just keeps recording. But not so, in Auto Event Detection. Any memory card issues will also show up in low bit-rate Parking Mode. I am going to have to use this low bit-rate mode (continuous recording) from now on. Each file seems to cover 10 minutes duration so for 1 hour parked, I just need to look thru 6 files. 6 x 10 minutes is 1 hour. If vandalism is in front, just check front cam. If rear, check rear cam footage.

But will forget Auto Even Detection IF I want to capture everything.

Last edited:
Back