Gitup G3 Photo Thread

Why cant o take pictures like this with the SJ cameras, they always seem lackluster to me :(
Not sure I've seen photos from the SJ7 other than some long exposure night shots which were not very impressive. The SJ7 has the same sensor as the Git3 so should be able to do similar to above, except it has an Amberella processor instead of the Novatek in the G3, not sure what difference that makes for photos. The SJ7 doesn't do raw, but none of the photos above are raw, the 4:3 images are jpg photos and the 16:9 images are frame grabs from H264 video. The G3 does have an advantage over the SJ7 on the video with 14% more colour resolution which allows me to do a reasonable amount of adjustment in the editor. I have played with the SJ6 and like you say it is a little lacklustre despite having the same lens, sensor and processor as the Git2, however the Git2 will not match the G3 anyway, except for long exposure night sky images where for some reason it does better.

That last image has had the foreground brightened significantly on the computer, it is looking into the sun with the foreground in shadow from the cloud so the original foreground is rather dark and certainly not so dramatic, more disappointing than doom and gloom!

We had some sun today, some bright colourful summer sunshine images coming up soon...

well only editors i mingle with are for video and that's just the basics, i can barely get my head around paint in windows so photo shop would just blow my fragile mind.

well only editors i mingle with are for video and that's just the basics, i can barely get my head around paint in windows so photo shop would just blow my fragile mind.
First thing to do when using an editor is to load a photo or video that is suitable for editing, if you put rubbish in then you will never get a great photo or video out. All the editor can really do is adjust the image to make the interesting bits more visible, the camera has to record the detail to start with.

First thing to do when using an editor is to load a photo or video that is suitable for editing,

I got one.
photoshop-diet-find-the-differences02.jpg

if you put rubbish in then you will never get a great photo or video out.

But you can get something that look better.:D

PS. There was a much easier to find example with women, but I probably will get a yellow card for them.:whistle:

need to work on your editing skills
These are un-edited frame grabs. Does help if you have some sunshine, even when the sun is in the photo :)

y4mX-Q9tbJ_u-TC2pfyF8TO9Fv5_xGWMOkBthoZQa5Gu86PkASlRza24VaCC-KkHjBR4f2_YKQEDjSNfDOH8Lb9DKYNp2SaB6AGQqV8hmBvaJqN6o-3Sr7fF4MEQcnL1kdHjVSMOWNyD-CfUHMlj0Z6PrCbKekuq6v7vrNLq7jaQ4SZmvHK9DM91EXMs5Ek_pOMX0cNrjUkSOnI0ZIX5G1RHw

Full zoom:
y4mLlAfv-KAhySPkUbx7o8sIzDYugYaIe8i55bdAngBZhw8w5kH2z7K6AVO3ZyIsw65aFGbNFMMSfec0OXANOG0jOYDx_LAlrrWibOMJCzMmAu33eXt2Akt7OWwaIopMoLTv3IBgsecKIDxqmrcQxi9rj97EMabem4LOJYbqMdnkZmRZGOpb7jiKO1ONR5Lji1-ZOPEPWW_Lns3-ZUdhQEYRg

Some autumn colour images, extracted from video rather than using photo mode, click to zoom in on the wide ones, and then scroll left|right:

y4mdrXpcNrxLeXNy_5Zi1lUGaJX9ajbrijP7PEL66sOv8rKh7hKUzX96UlzdDfchAx3Ltq4jZuofYGvkUL1ZcI-Zm79AjnLcMMJpdqSPYTVBh2sVxMamjE_YHXIyNpYu1z_f24d8nIsyKot-eX6yLqx9c-NiNBtN7PAWK6ANJV1wU3I9Qq4FvD-mm6LzLIqPnH_hywuaEd_qBDWTtQapV_aZQ

y4mbTRvECbMGW2_hFtCich4uwpUrS9Y-yLjh01clYNXs24q6vVtJc6u83I92ilU851vRPsw8j0jGvZIFl7o-BuUNqpfRhv6gRohUtXCsa25TZuIHb7hxY083T9oCZo5WH3Ql4lgZgfSlRleC5DvnIePfRrbpMUub2-fOWiTI2gLHZE8EL2_CRAdgjMqJVpZZRAhJh5x8tI3KKYsNzvth9EbNg

y4mSh82ElRBYwxHtZQlmQF5sGGnmE-3BSh8FM-GesJIePJxzkSB56bg2H0-_euq4l7lz5SvqyyWI8XK2woJTwdMqHNMrDy_iybpsVBa2vGqS8k_R8FcsuZQGpmmXJM37vaPbwzQSnJ-nVsN02Vh-AwJ_NBRNiOfHz0n24nR6Xx_x_VfRfZ5PzZPzP789dqM2jj7SwldNMmsCA4KIXNtg0qwJQ

y4mjYQqFVuvzKAV-f3UL-MiA7Dlh8oslG29LoRi9uQSECa8YJJiV12lIK5F0p4xIzqTj-O8twSqNg_lfkgynAjryzSNGTNuIH_87GA4vh4st_W8gA_DPZODTT41ZJUUANObF4PGPmpnhFgV74dAALB-JdHnUsgBRGg1gUa1_kxeuXS-gApdHcFVwKmwZ5iYQs4gQgKAwqyZjVSw21ylg9MsVw

y4mgZwUN0omhqNlN58d-Oyfxes7cCQyYB9GNoYf01RvE54OTfSYuRzjTQP6qfSyloYvx9OIDA8eh16hlXAYXIqOzQxyfa6FKqHWU3I_QgJhj4PS4uyPnJOdNle0_gMaDJbdw6t8pzbZyXPohSUzEYqCKR88wLMr-GkfrsMxIPdsIcH-TXxF7UhlKtoA78opBtdcBwilfgX9h3HhQ04JkLYugQ

y4mlxLqGXd2LgjUberNuDAr5n-zpngaueXMtJD5lCWHTufYApBdGFf29az9TJ484kpMTnYAROMAjG7DVP7pVHvNM0K5g209NAV3k6BeV9_Z3DpWm9joaaAib6JnQgDi_YeI-e9LpY-AxHHyyIgcfvq6zJ81I27RMXMa4c7uAYnQkzHpTl4yYZogBGnd0PVpBy5Q_Xm_TvOiz5l17TrEc8HtdA

Some autumn colour images, extracted from video rather than using photo mode, click to zoom in on the wide ones, and then scroll left|right
Beautiful autumn!
Can I ask you to make 1-2 daylight photos in DNG (RAW) format and share them here?
This Sony sensor promises good dynamic range and RAW is able to reveal it well.

Beautiful autumn!
Can I ask you to make 1-2 daylight photos in DNG (RAW) format and share them here?
This Sony sensor promises good dynamic range and RAW is able to reveal it well.
Now that there are some production cameras about, it would be better to get a sample from one of them rather than from my last year's prototype, I'm sure someone else will post some samples soon... I'm very interested to see if the production cameras can do better than above :unsure:

@kamkar1 might like the tower,

King Alfred’s Tower is a 160ft (49m) high folly, designed by Henry Flitcroft for Henry Hoare II in 1772. It is believed to mark the site where King Alfred the Great rallied his troops in 878.

During the previous 12 years almost all the great kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England had fallen to the Danish Vikings. In 866 they stormed York and killed the two kings of Northumbria. In 869 they martyred King Edmund of East Anglia by tying him to a tree and filling him full of arrows. And then, in 877, they divided the ancient kingdom of Mercia in two.

By 878, very roughly, England north of the A5 (or Watling Street as the Anglo-Saxons called it) lay in Danish hands. Alfred’s Wessex effectively stood alone. Now the Viking army fell upon Wessex with a vengeance. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle would remember that: “In this year [878] in midwinter after 12th night the enemy army came stealthily to Chippenham, and occupied the land of the West Saxons and settled there, and drove a great part of the people across the sea, and conquered most of the others; and the people submitted to them, except King Alfred. He journeyed in difficulties through the woods and fen-fastnesses with a small force.”

This ambush – a lightening strike launched from Gloucester (a mere 30 miles away) – was designed to capture the king while he was celebrating Christmas at the royal manor of Chippenham. Confronted with such a swift, targeted invasion, Alfred was lucky to escape. He did so with the support of a small band of men, fleeing to the seclusion of the nearby Somerset marshes.

Having regrouped, Alfred managed covertly to muster forces across the kingdom and, within the year, defeated the Viking army at Edington in Wiltshire, converted the Danish king, Guthrum, to Christianity and had him leave Wessex. Without this reversal, there would probably have been no England and no English language. Alfred would have been a mere footnote in the history of ‘Daneland’ – which would have been written in Anglo-Danish.

Last edited:
We Danes and the British people share a lot, sadly not yet brexit.
But genome and history are intertwined really good.

We Danes and the British people share a lot, sadly not yet brexit.
But genome and history are intertwined really good.
By the time we have finished the Brexit process, for the countries that didn't sign up to the Eurozone it is going to look very attractive to follow us with similar deals!

Some autumn colour images, extracted from video rather than using photo mode, click to zoom in on the wide ones, and then scroll left|right:
Did you merge the frames yourself to make the panoramas? Or is that something the camera has done for you?

Did you merge the frames yourself to make the panoramas? Or is that something the camera has done for you?
I loaded the videos into Microsoft ICE:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...tography-applications/image-composite-editor/

For some of them I had to set the start and end for the video segment to use, but the rest it does for me, very easy to use. I did take the videos with the intention of using ICE on them.

All the images in that post are extracted using ICE, the tower is a vertical panorama, as is the last image (it's ~4:3, not 16:9 like the video), the 2nd and 3rd are single pass horizontal panoramas, the 1st is 3 horizontal passes thus giving it the wider angle than the 2nd and 3rd images, ICE can work out the multiple passes without being told, the 4th is about 2x3 frames . The G3 was set on 1.2x zoom (narrow angle), which reduces the fisheye and makes it a bit easier for ICE to stitch.

ICE seems to work a lot better with the G3 than the Git2, it seems to like the noise free images as well as having a bit of zoom.

On 10th July 1944 a military Noorduyn C-64A Norseman aeroplane assigned to 320th Air Transport Squadron, 27th Air Transport Group, USAAF, heading for Zeals Airfield and carrying five American airmen flew into the conical roof of the turret in thick fog. The plane crashed and all five occupants were killed.

Last edited:
I loaded the videos into Microsoft ICE:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...tography-applications/image-composite-editor/

For some of them I had to set the start and end for the video segment to use, but the rest it does for me, very easy to use. I did take the videos with the intention of using ICE on them.

All the images in that post are extracted using ICE, the tower is a vertical panorama, as is the last image (it's ~4:3, not 16:9 like the video), the 2nd and 3rd are single pass horizontal panoramas, the 1st is 3 horizontal passes thus giving it the wider angle than the 2nd and 3rd images, ICE can work out the multiple passes without being told, the 4th is about 2x3 frames . The G3 was set on 1.2x zoom (narrow angle), which reduces the fisheye and makes it a bit easier for ICE to stitch.

ICE seems to work a lot better with the G3 than the Git2, it seems to like the noise free images as well as having a bit of zoom.

On 10th July 1944 a military Noorduyn C-64A Norseman aeroplane heading for Zeals Airfield and carrying five American airmen flew into the conical roof of the turret in thick fog. The plane crashed and all five occupants were killed.
Thanks for the ICE information. I asked how it was done as I saw some obvious joint lines in the stitching.

Thanks for the ICE information. I asked how it was done as I saw some obvious joint lines in the stitching.
I'll try a bit more zoom next time.
When you have people walking in the video it is always going to be difficult to have no joints!
And the one with the sun in the first frame of the video and rotating 180 degrees so the sun is behind the camera is always going to have exposure issues.
In fact it is more than 180 degrees since you can see the shadow on the building is facing the sun, the opposite direction to the tree shadow in the centre of the image!

Long exposure photo with the G3. 10seconds, ISO50, Auto WB, medium contrast and sharpness. Self timer to eliminate camera shake. Cropped from 4:3 original 4000x3000 to 16:9 at 4000x2250.
dy3rtsY.jpg

Not bad.
You can see the boats are not 100% steady in their place, but have not wiggled too much to ruin the take.

Hi!
I have a lot of chromatic abberation on the still images I take with the G3, a lot more than on a Yi 2K, 4K. I don't know if it's the case for all G3 or if mine is defective:

It is normal to have a bit towards the edge of the image.

Your image is clearly not the full frame, but since I can't see the size of the pixels I have no idea how much you have zoomed in or which part of the frame it is, so I can't judge if it is normal or not...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Git3 1
Z Git3 2
BCHobbyist Git3 23
I Git3 8
A Git3 13
Back