GitUp Git2- Support, FAQ, Review

Yeah, I agree, I guess Gitup3 is far way in the future. The main reason for a upgrade in the future for Gitup3, would be 4K and h265 (hevc), but as for
now this is just to much, the chips are expensive, and I think that even the gopro that has 4k did not sell that well. Another problem is to get good
quality video.

It is just not enough to have 4k or even do 1080p if the quality is bad, just look at DSLR where even cameras with APS-C sensors produce bad video
or have lots of problem. You need to have have a good product from start to finish. I think people do enjoy a more "over all" solid action camera, and that
is where the Gitup2 is so great.

I also depends on cost, if it was possible to get a cheap and good enough sensor that does 4k, chipset that can do 25fps 30ftp and you can select h264 or h265 and the price is 300 USD
or less for the camera, I think that would sell well, there are those who want that 4k. But if it is more expensive than that, I doubt it will be a good product and will not sell well.

TwoBlues, it was my fault not writing clearly. I was talking about a standard tripod mount on the top and bottom, for the cages mounting, the same as they have on the SJCAM M10+

Not a tripod mounting on the gitup2 camera it self, as is, but on the "cage" you put the camera in, they only have one standard mounting screw, yes you can take
the camera out and flip it and insert it. It would just be more convenient to have it on both the top and bottom so you could not have to remove the camera
depending on what you want to use it for. But it is not a big deal breaker, someone else said it was not hard to flip the camera over anyway.

The main reason would be combo use, when you use it in a car most of the time you have it mounted from the windscreen with a suction cup but when you
use it outside filming stuff you want to use it with say, gimbal or steadycam thing, if you have that, mounting it then often done from bottom.

But as I said not that important anyway, it works well as is.
I was just thinking Dennis, the Hero 4 black has overheating and short battery life. Gopro's website counseled it's buyers who complained to "....use a lower resolution..."
Imagine buying this $500 dollar 4k action cam and not being able to use a resolution better than a much cheaper Chinese action cam!

My actual signature is also about what you wrote. Poor chinese companies writing a big 4K on the front case just to sell by cheating the buyers. I said many times that a resolution is not the same thing as the expected quality of that resolution. When I will buy a 4K camera I will expect a 4K quality not some poor interpolated image which have the 4K resolution. In time more people will think as me and will make some search before buying a 4K camera, but right now I am asking myself: can I trust a tomorrow released real 4K camera which will cost about $200? First I will look for a bigger sensor inside it because for me is hard to understand that from a small sensor you can obtain so much information to obtain a quality 4K image. And if sensor will be bigger I expect the camera size to not fit actual GoPro/GitUp sizes, so will Git3 keep actual size?

enjoy,
Mtz
And Mtz it's been proven that some sellers have lied about the sensors installed, why wouldn't they lie at a higher price?

Git1 is a very good camera, but with a lower specs than Git2, better in low light as Git2 and with less complaints from users than Git2.

enjoy,
Mtz
I did not know that there are many complaints!

TwoBlues, overheating in 4k and 500 USD down the drain, crazy. But from what I understand, this issue came with any product that did 4k video, unless it was big and bulky, even the newer sony cameras and other DSLRs on the market has issues with 4k so it is pretty demanding. The only upside now, is that the new chips coming out from novatek, ambarella etc could be manufactured on 16nm or at least tiny compared to what it was, and that is needed in order to prevent the chips from running to hot when doing 4k.

I guess Gitup3 could do 4k if they wanted to, a easy upgrade, the sensor and cpu, but the question is at what price. If it is to high people will not buy it and I think the limit for most people buying a action camera is around the 300-340 USD mark, more than that and you could just stick to 1080p but 4k video is so nice and worth it in dashcams or actioncams but then again you got a tiny sensor, APS-C or 4/3 gets you much better picture but it is probably not possible to do in a actioncam, when you think about size, picture quality, over all performance. Going to a "1 inch sensor" is probably possible, without to much problems but higher than that, is there really a market for that and at what price.

At the moment I am happy that the Gitup team is focusing on the firmware and getting the camera to work well, ironing out the bugs and so on, adding new features.

TwoBlues, overheating in 4k and 500 USD down the drain, crazy. But from what I understand, this issue came with any product that did 4k video, unless it was big and bulky, even the newer sony cameras and other DSLRs on the market has issues with 4k so it is pretty demanding. The only upside now, is that the new chips coming out from novatek, ambarella etc could be manufactured on 16nm or at least tiny compared to what it was, and that is needed in order to prevent the chips from running to hot when doing 4k.

I guess Gitup3 could do 4k if they wanted to, a easy upgrade, the sensor and cpu, but the question is at what price. If it is to high people will not buy it and I think the limit for most people buying a action camera is around the 300-340 USD mark, more than that and you could just stick to 1080p but 4k video is so nice and worth it in dashcams or actioncams but then again you got a tiny sensor, APS-C or 4/3 gets you much better picture but it is probably not possible to do in a actioncam, when you think about size, picture quality, over all performance. Going to a "1 inch sensor" is probably possible, without to much problems but higher than that, is there really a market for that and at what price.

At the moment I am happy that the Gitup team is focusing on the firmware and getting the camera to work well, ironing out the bugs and so on, adding new features.
Ditto!

Been lurking for a week or so. Great forum. Read the entire Git2 thread from end to end. My G2 is in the mail from Amazon. $169 !!! Ghah! Oh well, looking forward to learning this new camera.
I'm a retired movie camerman. My other cameras are a Sony RX11 III, my Samsung S6, a Mobius and a Nikon D800. Mostly, I'll do time lapse landscapes.

One of the main reasons I bought a G2 is the excellent online presence of Gitup here on the forum. Customer service is everything nowadays.

One thing I think Gitup should consider is second version of the G2 - 0ne with the 90 degree lens. I'd have one in a heartbeat.

glasseye, you can order that, it is something like 100 degrees, do not remember, but it is not the wide angle lens. Look at the gitup site, there is a video on youtube showing the gitup2 with this lens. Also a video that shows you how to replace the current wide angle (170 or similar) lens to the smaller one. You will not have the fisheye look and so on.

It is pretty easy but requires some handy man skills in order to open the unit without doing damage to it and putting it back together, I think they have both, just the lens, or the lens with sensor (pre focused), I would go for the lens with the sensor, focusing a lens can be problematic and I guess if done in a factory they have a machine that does this for them in order to get perfect results before using glue or whatever to lock the lens in place.

We will share the beta firmware tomorrow, and look forward to see more feedback, if everything going fine, will list it on our official website.
Hello, Gitup:
If I want the 90 degree lens, can I install it ,or do I have to buy Git2 with it?

Not that high demand so I guess you will have to order it and wait. To bad that official (or approved) outlets selling the gitup2 does not have a few of these in stock.
I have not seen anyone selling a gitup2 with the 90 lens pre-installed, or even as a addon. Only if you buy the 90 lens from china.

Not that high demand so I guess you will have to order it and wait. To bad that official (or approved) outlets selling the gitup2 does not have a few of these in stock.
I have not seen anyone selling a gitup2 with the 90 lens pre-installed, or even as a addon. Only if you buy the 90 lens from china.
Yes, my question was answered by a DCT member: the lens available from gitup, listed on their website.

Hi All, could you please check the quality of the video in the VGAP240W mode? In my case it does not look good, after the beta firmware installation.

No one answered, so I will write a little more. Something wrong is with the recording in the VGAP240W mode on my camera.. See the attached picture.

2016_0317_211710_003.JPG

You can see strange lines on the top of the picture. I don't know why. Any ideas how to get rid of them? I can see this lines on the camera screen, and at this moment in the VGAP240W mode only.

Did you made sensor calibration to remove hot pixels? I think it might be related to this. I had the same problem but i made calibration again (always format spi first) and now it is working ok. You must remember that white page used for calibration must be free of any shadows. Its hard to do it propertly because of wide lenses - you must especially pay attention to the corners.

Thanks! You are right I did the sensor calibration. I suppose that this could be a reason. I will try again and we will see if this helps. This time I will do this more precise, probably I've made some mistake during the calibration. Thanks for the tip!

Back