GS8000

jokiin said:
is that footage the same quality as what you see in the original, just wondering if the file has been re-encoded at all? I know you mentioned doing nothing other than removing the audio but just wondering if there's anything on the host side like what YouTube does

If you choose the "file" -> "download" option you should get the original ~357MB file. I am not sure how the download works on Google Drive. That is how the download should work in Drive.

kengu said:
jokiin said:
is that footage the same quality as what you see in the original, just wondering if the file has been re-encoded at all? I know you mentioned doing nothing other than removing the audio but just wondering if there's anything on the host side like what YouTube does

If you choose the "download" option you should get the original ~357MB file. I am not sure how the download works on Google Drive.

ok thanks, doing that now

Is it possible to set a recorded video as write protected? Like an emergency button? I want to keep the vids of stupid driver for my collection beside an accident.

I'm not sure to buy the gs8000 or the v5000gs. I like design of the v5000gs but there are no relevant sample videos or information about the Ambarella chip.

Some dashcams are calling this feature as emergency button or SOS. Using this feature maybe you can find more cameras with this function using a google search. For example a Korean camera called Livue LB100 have this button.
I think usually these type of cameras have some big (red) button, but you must press on it when the event will occur because the saved video is about 10-30 seconds before you press and 20-60 seconds after the pressing. So the whole video can be about 1-2 minutes.
If the moment is dangerous for your driving is possible that you will not press the button. The recording will be there, but not protected.

The best solution to easy save the interesting videos are cameras with wireless like the one made by Itronics and Blackvue. You can use the smartphone Wi-Fi connection to transfer the interesting video without touching the SD card and even being outside of the car.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruuuz said:
Is it possible to set a recorded video as write protected? Like an emergency button? I want to keep the vids of stupid driver for my collection beside an accident.

In the manual:
"File Protection function: during the recording process, press the mode button to
manually force protection function; in the protected state, press the mode button to
cancel mandatory save function"

I have been able to see the lock symbol on screen but I don't know about the functionality and thus cannot confirm that it preserves the locked files.

Mtz said:
I think usually these type of cameras have some big (red) button, but you must press on it when the event will occur because the saved video is about 10-30 seconds before you press and 20-60 seconds after the pressing. So the whole video can be about 1-2 minutes.
If the moment is dangerous for your driving is possible that you will not press the button. The recording will be there, but not protected.

very much depends how this is configured in firmware, as you say some have a function to preserve 10 to 30 seconds before and similar after, it's not always practical or possible to press in time to save an event like this

for our camera we based the manual save mode on the recycle time setting, so if I have the recycle time set to 5 minutes and I do a manual save it will write protect the currently recording file and the one prior, so with recycle set to 5 mins it will protect 10 minutes worth, if recycle set to 2 mins would protect 4 mins, recycle 3 mins will protect 6 mins etc, I think this is a more practical approach

Does the camera work without the GPS module plugged in?
What kind of SD card does it use? Site says microSD, just want to confirm

jokiin said:
Mtz said:
I think this is a more practical approach
You are right and this is the correct working mode. But I think the protected size from the card cannot be unlimited so saving 10 minutes files is not OK, maybe is better for 2+2 minutes. Usually events are under 1 minute.
I understand some cameras have space reserved for the protected files for about 15 minutes so the user must think that he cannont save a lot of protected files.
In theory, if the duration of the videos are 3 minutes, the camera should let the user record at least 6 minutes so the protected files can almost fill up the card.

enjoy,
Mtz

We could put a fixed predefined length like 2/2 but the current system leaves some flexibility for the user to choose, there's always some trade off and nothing is ever perfect for everyone so we do what we feel can offer more options for more people

Don't know that we can ever get everything perfect but we just keep refining as we go and hope it can suit the majority

On your model you can save protected files until filling up the card?

enjoy,
Mtz

For example you can record 10 files on the SD Card. When the card is full, the loop mode erase the oldest video.
But if you are saving some protected videos, that videos cannot be deleted by the loop mode, but only on PC, or maybe formatting the card.
If you are saving 8 protected files, the camera record OK only 2 files in loop mode.
But if you are protecting 10 files, the camera will stop working because no space on the Card were to write the actual files.

Some cameras to not have this problem can save for example maximum 3 files, or based on size maybe 300MB.

I don't know how the cameras are protecting the files and I am thinking are three ways:
- renamed in some way which loop feature is not deleting them
- put them in another folder which is not affected by the loop feature
- mark them as read only when saving.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
For example you can record 10 files on the SD Card. When the card is full, the loop mode erase the oldest video.
But if you are saving some protected videos, that videos cannot be deleted by the loop mode, but only on PC, or maybe formatting the card.
If you are saving 8 protected files, the camera record OK only 2 files in loop mode.
But if you are protecting 10 files, the camera will stop working because no space on the Card were to write the actual files.

Some cameras to not have this problem can save for example maximum 3 files, or based on size maybe 300MB.

I don't know how the cameras are protecting the files and I am thinking are three ways:
- renamed in some way which loop feature is not deleting them
- put them in another folder which is not affected by the loop feature
- mark them as read only when saving.

enjoy,
Mtz

you could effectively keep protecting files until there was no room left on the card, this would be quite a lot of files though and more than I think any reasonable person would need to do before they had a chance to copy the files off, the files get flagged not to be overwritten, it wouldn't prevent you formatting a card though, some cams break it up by percentages of card allocated for each function or use separate folders for saved files, a different approach I guess and I don't consider the other ways of doing this right or wrong, just another way to do it

again, there's always some compromise to be made and what might be great for one person is no good for the next, I guess that's why there are so many choices in the market and we buy what closest fits our needs

we're always looking to improve our firmware and always listen to what people have to say, changes often come out of end user feedback, we can't always give people what they request due to technical or practical reasons but some ideas eventuate

My gs5000 mark files "read only" tag, and maximum size of locked files was 1 gigabyte.
In doubt, mark files locked manually or shake camera and test your camera.

Sabe said:
My gs5000 mark files "read only" tag, and maximum size of locked files was 1 gigabyte.
In doubt, mark files locked manually or shake camera and test your camera.

I'll have to check if mine has a max file amount set now (I honestly don't know how it is set at the moment), if it does it's a lot greater than 1gb, if I'm set at max bitrate and resolution with recycle time set to 5 mins a manual save would break the 1gb straight way otherwise, I've never hit the limit of saved files but it might be something worth trying, we do have a working section of card that is always available so likely that would limit the amount that could be saved anyway for practical reasons

I tested with my gs1000, it locked 5 files, length is 5 minutes each. (5x254MB)
Camera was full of videos and i just started mark them in preview mode, no need to try in real time recording.

jokiin said:
again, there's always some compromise to be made
In this case is not about compromise but about the best way of doing this. Because you have some experience also with using the camera not just staying in a front of a PC you can imagine how the things are in real life.

sabe said:
it locked 5 files, length is 5 minutes each. (5x254MB)
Many people will say it not enough just 5 files. But if the recordings are 1 minute each they can say 25 videos are enough.

jokiin said:
I'll have to check if mine has a max file amount set nowe
Waiting for the test results and what idea you have about the best mode in your vision, based on driving experience.

enjoy,
Mtz

I bought a GS8000 with GPS from FoxOffer and the image quality is very good. The issue I am having is that after a couple of days the GPS stopped working (The GPS indicator flashes red on the screen). Same thing happened to a colleague of mine who bought the same camera and after a couple of days the GPS stopped working as well. Is that a known issue or is a bad batch or what?

Thanks,
Dan.

dan777 said:
I bought a GS8000 with GPS from FoxOffer and the image quality is very good. The issue I am having is that after a couple of days the GPS stopped working (The GPS indicator flashes red on the screen). Same thing happened to a colleague of mine who bought the same camera and after a couple of days the GPS stopped working as well. Is that a known issue or is a bad batch or what?

Thanks,
Dan.

did you do a reset? there should be a reset button somewhere on the unit, usually a small hole somewhere you need to use a paperclip or similar to get at the button

Yes i did that, i also tried to reset all settings to factory default, i tried to turn the Gps off then power down then turn the gps on but still no result. Anything else i can try before send it back?

Back