GS8000

kmh only for mph need to play in the firmware

turn on turn off yes only if your ligther plug it relay to ignition

Sd class 6 or 10 it the best yes it rewritable most of the time

Thanks guys. . . I appreciate the replies.

pasco2 said:

Is that hard to do? Whats involved?

i have never do that but someone on the forum have already made that please opne a new post

Chad said:
pasco2 said:

not something you would likely do yourself, the hardware can support it, I have selctable KM/h or MP/h display in my cam which is based on similar hardware, it would be up to whoever is providing the firmware to modify it accordingly, technically it is possible though

Can anyone direct me to where I can get the firmware for the GS8000 and directions on how to flash the unit ?

I think the hardware is fine on my broken one (save for the battery maybe ?) because when fully charged it does stay on for a few moments and work perfectly, the random freezing and powering off I am hopeful may be fixed with a firmware flash, clutching at straws I know but worth a shot none the less ?

Marcus said:
Can anyone direct me to where I can get the firmware for the GS8000 and directions on how to flash the unit ?

I think the hardware is fine on my broken one (save for the battery maybe ?) because when fully charged it does stay on for a few moments and work perfectly, the random freezing and powering off I am hopeful may be fixed with a firmware flash, clutching at straws I know but worth a shot none the less ?

whatever you do I'd suggest backing up your existing firmware first, even they they may look the same on the outside, what's on the inside is very often different and you may render yourself totally inoperative

you may have a hardware issue anyway but better to be safe than sorry

jokiin said:
Chad said:
pasco2 said:

not something you would likely do yourself, the hardware can support it, I have selctable KM/h or MP/h display in my cam which is based on similar hardware, it would be up to whoever is providing the firmware to modify it accordingly, technically it is possible though

Oh wow...that would be great if its selectable like yours. I guess I was just taking it for granted that it did not have that in the menu. All the vids I've seen have it set to km/h.

Thanks!

Chad said:
Oh wow...that would be great if its selectable like yours. I guess I was just taking it for granted that it did not have that in the menu. All the vids I've seen have it set to km/h.

Thanks!

there's a good chance it only has KM/H, almost every Chinese cam does, it's technically possible to support MP/H with a firmware update, that's up to the manufacturer of your cam though

jokiin said:
Marcus said:

whatever you do I'd suggest backing up your existing firmware first, even they they may look the same on the outside, what's on the inside is very often different and you may render yourself totally inoperative

you may have a hardware issue anyway but better to be safe than sorry

Plenty of time spent on google has yeilded no result trying to find any firmware for the GS8000, let alone how to actually flash it or back up the existing FW.

Marcus said:
Plenty of time spent on google has yeilded no result trying to find any firmware for the GS8000, let alone how to actually flash it or back up the existing FW.

if it's an Ambarella A2 chipset then the USB method would allow you to backup the existing firmware (details are on the GS1000 page here), you would need to know how to get the cam into boot mode though, there's normally a combinations of buttons or sequence that need to be pressed to do that though, there's only so many buttons so usually not too hard to work out

that still doesn't get you any updated firmware but it does at least allow you to backup what you have in case you brick it later when you do find some firmware for it

once you work out the boot sequence it would be useful if you could post back with the details in case someone else comes looking for the same info later on

Package & contents from Foxoffer:

And the weird gps solution (the red thing)

Like where I am supposed to fix that. At the moment just hanging there.

:lol:

Take a look at the custom mount solution I used, I cannot perma mount the GPS module to the windscreen as I drive trucks and do not have the same vehicle day to day, PITA.

I ordered another GS8000 from Fox Offer and look forward to taking a look at the optional mount :)

Will also be nice to compare it back to back with my other GS which I have taken apart and know to be a genuine Amberalla chipped model.

From the pictures you show it is identical to the packaging and accessories I received with mine with the exception of the optional swivel mount.

jokiin said:
to the windscreen I'd expect

Sure. It just is not the option for me as I need to move switch this from car to another time to time. I need to figure out a some custom option. Maybe print a custom part to fix all parts together.

After one weekend of usage,

One sample of night time performance with and without streetlights
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3H1Hk9 ... ring&pli=1

edit: if you choose the "download" link you should get the original file

File is as-is from the cam except audio is removed with ffmpeg:
Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mov -an -vcodec copy output.mov

I do have day time video also but there is not much to see as the performance is good enough in most of the cams.

The second time I used the cam the UI (OSD & buttons) did freeze and I had to let the battery run out to be able to regain control. And I had no time to investigate then if the recording did work during that time so it will remain mystery for now. The same incident might have caused the date and time of the cam to jump 50 years ahead as seen on the video.

If taking still photos the angle is even wider than on videos. At least that is what it looks like on the cam screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
kengu said:
One sample of night time performance with and without streetlights

is that footage the same quality as what you see in the original, just wondering if the file has been re-encoded at all? I know you mentioned doing nothing other than removing the audio but just wondering if there's anything on the host side like what YouTube does

Back