GS8000

I should be off work all next week so I can do a massive extended duration test, I work 65 - 80 hours per week so have very little time in a typical working week, sorry things update so slow.

I purchased two units that arrived the other day from tonsee_mall at: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161028133418?ssP ... 273wt_1399

The issues I am having:
- Playback of video files; sound is not synched to video
- Video appears to be at least half normal speed
- Video display powers down after approximately one minute, but unit keeps recording. Can’t figure out how(!) to keep continually active

I read every post, it's likely I have NovaTek units. I have turned most everything off (G-load, etc). I am also using class 10 mircro SD's.

The instruction booklet is terrible, so I sent the seller these questions:
1) Video screens keeps turning off while driving, how do I make it stay on?
2) What does "Motion Detect" do, and how do I activate it?
3) What does "lamp Setting" do?
4) What does "Backlight" do?
5) What does "Loop Recording" mean?

Needless to say, the response was not helpful. Any help you folks can give me would be great! Thanks!

Marcus said:
I should be off work all next week so I can do a massive extended duration test, I work 65 - 80 hours per week so have very little time in a typical working week, sorry things update so slow.

Conclusive test shows camera is fixed 100%

Going to see if I can revive my second camera which failed, now I know what to look for !

Ran the camera in 25+c conditions for hours today without a single problem.

Cheers

Mark.

My previously other dead GS8000 was brought back to life yesterday using the repair I mention, I now have 2 fully working GS8000's

Very happy :)

Marcus said:
My previously other dead GS8000 was brought back to life yesterday using the repair I mention, I now have 2 fully working GS8000's

Mine also happen to come back to life yesterday. I had a 32GB Sandisck Class 10 Ultra card in it, and one day a few months ago all of a sudden i kept getting card errors. Yesterday i decided to swap the card with an 8GB lower class card that was in my cell phone just to see if that would happen to fix it. I did a few 3 min clips and everything seemed OK.

It still gets a little warm and will probably overheat in 1080p mode, but it is at least use able for right now.

Marcus said:

Marcus, you sound like a busy man... but if you get a chance could you post some photos of your mod? I'm sure it would help others contemplating the same fix.

Parallax said:
I purchased two units that arrived the other day from tonsee_mall at: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161028133418?ssP ... 273wt_1399

The issues I am having:
- Playback of video files; sound is not synched to video
- Video appears to be at least half normal speed
- Video display powers down after approximately one minute, but unit keeps recording. Can’t figure out how(!) to keep continually active

I read every post, it's likely I have NovaTek units. I have turned most everything off (G-load, etc). I am also using class 10 mircro SD's.

The instruction booklet is terrible, so I sent the seller these questions:
1) Video screens keeps turning off while driving, how do I make it stay on?
2) What does "Motion Detect" do, and how do I activate it?
3) What does "lamp Setting" do?
4) What does "Backlight" do?
5) What does "Loop Recording" mean?

Needless to say, the response was not helpful. Any help you folks can give me would be great! Thanks!

Hello Parallax,

About Video Playback:

Let me tell you that I test many H264 codecs, like K-Lite, CoreCodec (I need to pay USD9.99 and don't works), Shark Vista Codec v. 6.53, x264, and many more, I try too all the Datakam version from 0.1 to the last one (More than 30 versions), but the simplest thing I ever found is:

Use Datakam 3.9.0.18 exe file inside http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/gs8000/GPS_Player.zip
Install VistaCodec v. 5.31 (From Shark), you can find it inside the cardv_r carpet inside http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/gs8000/GS8000GPStool.zip

The site where you can download it is: http://dashcamtalk.com/gs8000/

Donwload this two files from the sites I give you, because I try to find them in other site but is imposible, test it and tell us if those two programs works for you.

In other way exists two firmware update bios types,

V1.0.8 G82A K
V1.0.9 G82A K
V1.0.9RG82A K

You can download it from here: http://www.taker.im/phpBB2/user/298227- ... tab__posts

See the difference between the three files the first two files are V1.0.8 & V1.0.9 without the "R" the third V1.0.9R be carefull if you want to update your firmware, you can check your firmware version inside your GS8000 using the menu button in the second menu at the last line, you can follow the steps "Firmware Update Instructions" from here http://dashcamtalk.com/gs8000/#Firmware

P.D. Don't update Datakam to the latest version because if you did then the new version overwrite the old version and starts a lot of trouble when you try to playback the video.

Uninstall other codecs that you have installed, for example K-Lite, x264, CoreCodec or VistaCodec, etc. then install the VistaCodec v. 5.31 (From Shark).

Good Luck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
russd1977 said:
Marcus said:

Marcus, you sound like a busy man... but if you get a chance could you post some photos of your mod? I'm sure it would help others contemplating the same fix.

Really is super simple, open your GS8000 with 3 screws, then pull out the four screws holding down the main board, snip both the wires on the nasty battery pack behind and re solder externally to a new 3.7v battery, Nokia Phone battery works just fine if you have one kicking around, super super simple, you might want to lengthen the battery supply wires to make your life a little easier when finding a place to put your external battery.

Marcus said:
Well my theory worked out.

I bought......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181109719609? ... 1439.l2649

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370529595315? ... 1439.l2649

Stripped down the cam and soldered some new wire to the external power source, now the motherboard of the cam does not overheat and cause cam to shut down and fail, which is exactly what was happening to the cheap piece of rubbish internal battery after repeated charging cycles.

Going to hook up something nice so the external batter power lead runs back down the cigar lighter power plug so it retains a single cord effect, keep things tidy.

Can you explain this a little more. I'm not to good with this kind of thing and would have to have a friend do the sodder, but did you connect the wires in the camera to the battery pack wires or cut and connect the wires in the camera to the charger and then splice the battery pack into the charger cable down the line?

Does anyone know the power pinouts to get the camera to auto power up from the car adapter? I've lost my car adapter and have plenty of usb cables lying around, so i thought i would just make my own.

However, when i just use the 2 cables, black and red to supply power to the camera, it comes up in the attached data usb mode, asking what i would like to do, ie charge, usb and such. I just want to make a power cable (i have the power supply) that will just boot the camera up like the car adapter did so it will just start recording.

Red = Positive+
Black = Negative-
Green = data
White = data

a lot of them use a different wiring config for the car with a different pin for the power trigger to tell the camera to power on and start recording, if using a regular USB cable doesn't do it then yours is probably like this, try Google for the pinouts used for a Garmin GPS power cable, it is quite possibly the same (many are)

We think alike jokiin, i tried searching for it already, and i tried my garmin power adapter (and a couple more i had lying around). No go.

I like the way you think though. I wish i could see my cable one last time to see what it looked like at the end and maybe pull my 12v connector off just to look how many wires went up the coiled cord. I'll keep looking for it around the house. I dont care much that i lost it, i was planning on hard wiring it in anyway. but i didnt think it would be this hard before i made that decision.

note: One video i found said the camera detects the power coming in before it auto-runs, and lower powered usb connectors made it go to the menu only.. my usb power in the vehicle is 3amps, so i know i have more than enough power.

There are three cable types I'm familiar with commonly used with Chinese USB powered cams, two are common, the third quite rare (doubt you'd have that one on this model anyway), could be others I guess but I haven't seen them personally, where did your GS8000 come from and is it with or without GPS?

Got mine from icubot on ebay, (no longer sells anything though, i just checked)

It came with the gps,

Heres my unboxing video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAOhYV-HHM8

I'll go out and try the garmin adapter again, just for fun.

biglarry said:
I'll go out and try the garmin adapter again, just for fun.

yeah I think I gave you a bum steer, it's not the Garmin power cable as such, if you want to make your own you'll need the Garmin type connector which has 5 pins wired rather than 4, it's a different trigger wire that puts it into record mode and a standard mini USB connector does not have a cable to this pin

just going by memory, I did have it bookmarked here somewhere but do you think I can find it :evil: I'm sure it has been mentioned here on the site previously though, might have been Mtz that mentioned it if that helps

going to call it a night now but let me know how you get on, might be another option

GOT IT.

Pretty close jokiin, it turned out to be MBE that wrote it up for the GS9000 camera.
Thanks!

For anyone else catching up in the forum on making your own power cable, look here
Pinout on mini B side

Here's how i cheated. since the cable only comes with 4 wires and 5 pins, i put a lump of solder on pins 3 and 4, then used the green wire (pin3) to give the 5v+.

Worked great, after i ruined 3 cables trying to get there. fourth time is a charm!
Thank MBE if you get the chance for helping us out.

uPDATE :
it has been a long time i post.
Today my Gs had a strange behavior , as i started the car i did not hear
the welcome sound ?

I checked everything , but nothing is wrong. Made some research here and internet .
Found someone on youtube with the same problem .

I decided to check the battery by opening the unit till the battery ,
hum the voltage was 4.1 but there is no amperage .

I took an old battery from an old cell phone , 3.7v giving a good amperage .
I placed the battery outside / wont fit inside / funnelled the wires thru the
Gps connection (dont work anyway from day 2) , quite easy to do .

Now the cam is working but still i have to press the On button + the
recording one to start recording . So far i made a hard reset = no better.
A software reset = no better.

Anyone found a solution to try ? Suggestion ?
Thanks.

I would still say it is crap and thus not working properly. The autostart requires the usb-adapter that came with the cam for best operation. But I don't think you have changed the cable so that should not be the problem. There are settings in the menu on how to act when there is power etc but those should be ok also.

Halo i'm new but i have suffered from these GS8000.
After update to V1.0.9 G82A K it wasn't able to start, only blue led lights. I have done the firmware downgrade to V1.0.8 G82A K using DirectUsb and i was able to fix it.
1. Download and install DirectUsb.
2. Press reset on the unit, hold the REC and connect to the computer.
3. Computer should identify the device and you have to install the driver, click custom install drivers and set path to folder with the program C:/Program Files/Ambarella/DirectUSB
4. After a successful installation, start DirectUSB and press Connect (DirectUsb shoud detect your camera and status have to be OK)
5. Press: a2s_1Gb (someone may use a2bub) DRAM: 216MHz
6. Next, click the button "Erase Flash" he clears the memory of the current firmware
7. Go to the tab "Download", select "Firmware Programming", click "Choose" and set the path to the firmware extension. Elf
8. In the right panel click "Download"
9. During flashing,LED will change from red to blue (purple)
10. After DirectUSB write Done , press reset and then take out the cable.
11. Once the cable is disconnected again hit reset, format the card twice and this will hopefully reset the menu to the factory default settings.

About the overheating i suggest disassembling it and making holes like this guy here also making some radiators on the chip for better cooling. I thing removing the battery,turning off the display and GPS will improve freezing problem

cheers Vergil From Bulgaria
worked for me, cheers

Back