GS8000

Try holding down the reset button on top with a toothpick or paperclip for 5 seconds.

It resets when I push the reset button quickly 2-3 times. It comes up. However now this is the only way I can turn it on. It does not come up with the car power or USB cable connected and when I press the power button.

Still: DO NOT BUY

It seems it cannot stand the heat as after the cam was on in a stationary warm vehicle the screen did show some horizontal lines and the osd freeze. I let it run out of battery as I had no "reset button" at hand. Worth ~$50 in my opinion with all the flaws.

tom said:
I found a Russian site with a link to the newer firmware (v1.9). I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS. If you have a bricked GS8000 with ambarella chipset, or like living dangerously, this may be a good updated firmware for you.

http://files.mail.ru/598E6B5D03DE42D89B507909AEBD82A8

I took the leap and I DID try this. Put both files on the root of my Micro SD put it in the camera booted it the camera updated as shown in the GS8000 FaQ update photos. I did a small in door test record. I have not played the video back yet, but everything seems OK. the camera does boot and has not bricked. I am not sure what this update may add or address. All my settings before the update seem to be intact nothing seemed to reset or change.

e9g8ky.jpg

Thanks for posting the link.

kengu said:
It seems it cannot stand the heat as after the cam was on in a stationary warm vehicle the screen did show some horizontal lines and the osd freeze. I let it run out of battery as I had no "reset button" at hand.

I have been having a heat problem with mine and if it is the only DashCam you have at the moment i would suggest turning it down to 720P so it at least should not over heat on you and always carry the little key chained reset tool on your key ring if possible just in case.

I looks like the issue was with the Autoshutoff setting. I had set it to OFF and that may have caused the unit not to power up with the power button. I reset the unit and changed the option to 1 minute and now the unit consistently powers up upon pressing the power button. Any one else had this issue ?

Hello. I received this dvr from here.
I tested it and it is doesnt work normally. It works good only in the night when temperature in the street 15C. But it doesnt work during the day when temperature in the street 25-30C and it is not summer yet. During the day this dvr works only 5-10 minutes after I turn it on and then it stop to work and I cannot to do anything with it, only reset button can help me. I touch dvr and it is very very hot. So that is why it doesnt want to work.
So how to resolve this problem with overheating?

I see many people have problem with overheating and freeze of this dvr. Let's try together to write to the sellers to force manufacturers to release a new firmware that maybe can resolve the problem with overheating. I ordered on foxoffer and I wrote them already. and where did you order?

jokiin said:
If its overheating it won't be a firmware fix, it will be a hardware problem I would think

I ordered 1 from foxoffer and second from geekbuying. They both have problem with overheating and freeze. I think everybody who bought this dvr will feel this problem with overheating. It is already summer in our country. When summer reach every country and everybody problems with overheating will begin.

Zaxela said:
jokiin said:
If its overheating it won't be a firmware fix, it will be a hardware problem I would think

I ordered 1 from foxoffer and second from geekbuying. They both have problem with overheating and freeze. I think everybody who bought this dvr will feel this problem with overheating. It is already summer in our country. When summer reach every country and everybody problems with overheating will begin.

same origin perhaps, there's a lot that come from major suppliers that are of questionable standard, Foxoffer seems ok as far as warranty problems go so hopefully you'll be ok with getting that one sorted

Zaxela said:
Have you set up a "Screen turn off delay" function? My GS9000 also gets hot after a while, but if I set up that option, screen turns off after a while and after this DVR is only warm, not hot. maybe this will help you?

ShPioN said:
Zaxela said:
Have you set up a "Screen turn off delay" function? My GS9000 also gets hot after a while, but if I set up that option, screen turns off after a while and after this DVR is only warm, not hot. maybe this will help you?

I turned off motion detect. I turned off display too. Dvr works 10-15 minutes and then it freeze, only reset button works then. I think it is problem with hardware, maybe it can be resolve by firmware I dont know.

I have figured out (99%) anyway why our GS8000's are failing.

It is the battery packs, cheap nasty things, the constant charging cycle causes the battery to overheat and then overheat the circuit board which it sits directly against.

I de-soldered the batter pack and soldered a new same voltage pack from a Nokia phone and left the battery wired up externally, need to test more but my previously troublesome GS8000 is showing signs it may live again.

Will update with news when I have time to test further.

Marcus said:
I have figured out (99%) anyway why our GS8000's are failing.

It is the battery packs, cheap nasty things, the constant charging cycle causes the battery to overheat and then overheat the circuit board which it sits directly against.

you would shake your head in disbelief if you knew the price difference between the ones that are commonly used and a decent battery

In raw cost I would imagine the quality version is around 15% extra to produce for the labour or material difference ? Pennies in the real world no doubt.

Marcus said:
Pennies in the real world no doubt.

I promise you the difference between a decent battery and the average ones that get used is measured in cents, it's a ridiculous oversight to use a low quality battery in an automotive environment where heat is involved, heat is a problem for LiPo batteries at any time

Hey Guys,

2 quick questions. Been trying to decide on an affordable dash cam for 2 weeks now. There are only 2 main features I really need and am wondering if this has it.

1) Does this camera have auto on and off based on when I turn the car on and off after I wire it to the accessory lighting? I believe I've already read yes a few times, but figured I'd ask again.

2) Does this camera have a delayed off switch from the time I turn my car off (like an option to set one since it has a battery)? I'm worried that if I have an accident, I'd like it to continue rolling even if I turned the car off to asses the scene. I don't want to have to worry about switching it on manually because I'm sure I'd forget in such a situation.

Thanks for the replies.

those are two very standard features on just about any camera using an Ambarella solution, can't say I've seen one that doesn't offer this

Awesome thanks. Guess I'll be ordering this or the GS1000 at the end of the month after comparing them some more.

Back