Had for a few years, won't record all of a sudden - even with new memory card.

melissaandwillow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing well.
I searched similar posts but found different scenarios.

I have had a Nextbase 322GW since the end of 2019. It has always worked fine until recently.
I realized it was not recording or would stop recording after less than a minute. (Whether in my car or power by the cable and PC - I would have wondered if it was some odd power issue with the hardwiring/my car, but the PC/cable does the same)
After it stops recording, pushing the record button does nothing. It just displays the time and date underneath the record button, or nothing.
Randomly, it will give a "Slow SD card write speed" error, but most of the time it gives no error at all.

I have always used the same high-speed u3 memory card.
I have tried formatting it.
I have tried setting the dash cam back to factory settings.
I got a new memory card (same type, high speed SanDisk).
I downloaded firmware today (version 19.9 was what was available on the website, although I see the app says a newer one, 21, is available. The app-created network and password wouldn't work so I had to use the computer, not the app.) I had never updated the firmware before today.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2506.PNG
    IMG_2506.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2509.PNG
    IMG_2509.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Hello,

It sounds like you're having an SD card failure.
SD cards only have limited lifespans. In our manuals we recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card. Without this regular formatting, or if the card is non-compatible or damaged, the card could corrupt which would cause a failure of data writing.
Symptoms of SD card failure are: an audible 'alarm' tone, non-functional buttons, freezing, corrupted files on playback, image missing from files, lack of file recording etc.

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam using a pen. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally without an freezing issues? If so this does point towards an SD card failure.

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?
Do you also have a rear camera please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back