Hands on Mini 0806 Ambarella A7LA50 dash camera

If they just extended the end cap a bit (say 1cm) couldn't they fit a small capacitor like they use in the Mobius in there? A capacitor would kill the Parking Guard function as it is though and it would need rethinking for sure to get to the level of say the X2.

If they just extended the end cap a bit (say 1cm) couldn't they fit a small capacitor like they use in the Mobius in there? A capacitor would kill the Parking Guard function as it is though and it would need rethinking for sure to get to the level of say the X2.
I think a capacitor the size of the battery would be enough to close the files correctly and enter sleep mode in an emergency, it doesn't need to keep recording for 10 seconds after power loss and it doesn't need to do a full shutdown, I think the reason the standard one does that is because most lighter sockets turn off while cranking the engine. But I think Rayman is suggesting providing the hardwire kit with both switched and permanent power so that the engine cranking issue goes away and the parking guard can operate correctly without running out of battery power, the only problem is that it then needs wiring in rather than just using the lighter socket and a small capacitor is needed in case it is removed from it's mount while still recording.

Reactions: Mtz
If they go the way of the X2 then it would need a custom cable to provide ground and simultaneous permanent battery + and ACC but gives better flexibility in that the camera then instantly knows when it should be in drive mode and when it should be in parking mode as it can use the ACC signal as a trigger.

When using the Lukas BDP device I did notice that the cameras fed off it would reboot when the car was started or stopped, but it seems to be more due to the way that is built.

Any improvement on the Mini platform would be useful there though as parking mode is definitely useful :)

Maybe another option is drop the USB power input and swap to something like the Korean cameras use with the old Nokia style connector - then you could pick from various BDP options that are all quite cheap. Not as cheap as the one's they're using at the moment but they'd have more flexibility in cut offs etc than the standard kit as used with the Mini already.

Maybe another option is drop the USB power input...
No, keep the USB, that means I can power it off a USB battery/computer etc.

You can indicate the power status over the USB either by using voltage or the spare wire - there are 4 cables +v,0v,GPS, unused. USB doesn't have to be exactly 5V, 4.6 is still within the spec. and the camera will operate quite happily off that. Of course it means you need a special hardwire kit to use the parking mode but that's fine.

Reactions: Mtz
There's no reason it couldn't have both - a lot of the Korean higher end cameras do like the Panorama etc.

I have discussed with engineers today. An idea have been made.
I have to keep this as a secret for now. But, i am glad to tell you it will be a very easy/practical Parking Guard, with your mini0806 on hand.
will share you the information after we marketed mini0806. A tough time now to dispatch the first small batch 0806 before X-mas.

I have discussed with engineers today. An idea have been made.
I have to keep this as a secret for now. But, i am glad to tell you it will be a very easy/practical Parking Guard, with your mini0806 on hand.
will share you the information after we marketed mini0806. A tough time now to dispatch the first small batch 0806 before X-mas.
Good to see progress being made!

Rayman, have the engineers ever thought of making the case or part of it out of metal instead of plastic for better heat sinking away from the components? Maybe consider that too.

A tough time now to dispatch the first small batch 0806 before X-mas.
If you are able to get a small batch of 0806 before X-mas available, I'd sure like to buy one ASAP. Please let me know if that becomes possible.

Good to see progress being made!

Rayman, have the engineers ever thought of making the case or part of it out of metal instead of plastic for better heat sinking away from the components? Maybe consider that too.

if use metal instead of plastic, the 0806 will be too heavy. there are 13pcs plastic parts and other materials which made it already little heavier than we expected.
if use the thin metal sheets, it is not easy to keep the struture.

If you are able to get a small batch of 0806 before X-mas available, I'd sure like to buy one ASAP. Please let me know if that becomes possible.

we are doing our best to catch X-mas. we take some risks but this is about a promise.
However, if there is quality issue, we will have to hold the process.

do you know the price yet?

thx niko
btw. is L70 latest and better than L50?

thx niko
btw. is L70 latest and better than L50?
Chipset alone can not be "better". It's a combination of other hardware and also very important is tune-up of firmware.
Fine tuned A2 can beat poorly tune A7 ;)

I am interested in one of the second batch Rayman.

Is not a video editor. Just throwed the videos and pictures into DVD Slideshow Gui.
But video comparisons are a little difficult, because manually made with a script of avisynth, virtualdubmod and x264vfw:
Code:
clip1 = DirectShowSource("C:\0803\0803-0806.avi",fps=29.970).trim(24,0)
clip2 = DirectShowSource("C:\0803\0806-0803.avi",fps=29.970,audio=false)
stackvertical(clip1,clip2)
lanczosresize(960,1080)

enjoy,
Mtz

Because the first bunch of mini 0806 has failed the tests, the supplier said they would delay its release time. Gearbest will keep following up, and get in when it's first officially released :p

Also got some pics from the supplier. Pretty nice, what do you think? :D

QQ图片20141126165200.jpg
QQ图片20141126165216.jpg QQ图片20141126165220.jpg QQ图片20141126165223.jpg

Back