Hardwiring and motion sensing (parking mode?)

VIOFO: Please release an update that allows me to turn on Automatic Parking Mode. I have a battery protector. I don't want to have to enable parking mode manually.
I understand the a119 doesn't have a real parking mode. I would like to have some form of automatic switch from driving mode to a mode suitable for parking. Perhaps a menu option that lets me set motion detection. I would think the g sensor could be used to enable this mode when it senses no car movement for 10 minutes.

I have a $50 Vico Power-PLUS but have it switched off while I'm hoping for a firmware update to enable this new feature.

But motion detect isn't good enough as it only starts recording when it senses movement, whereas there should be some pre-buffering to record the moments before movement too.

Why don't A119 users who want parking mode just keep the cam recording normally via Vico Power-Plus or similar? Why is it necessary to only record on motion detect? Is it to save power???

I'd use the A119 time lapse, maybe setting to 1 frame per minute as here (go to 17:00):

Surely normal recording or time lapse is the best idea until Viofo bring out a model with "walk away" parking mode, as with the DDPai in the video (with suitable power bank or "always on" power via a battery discharge prevention device).

But motion detect isn't good enough as it only starts recording when it senses movement, whereas there should be some pre-buffering to record the moments before movement too.

Why don't A119 users who want parking mode just keep the cam recording normally via Vico Power-Plus or similar? Why is it necessary to only record on motion detect? Is it to save power???

Surely normal recording or time lapse is the best idea until Viofo bring out a model with "walk away" parking mode, as with the DDPai in the video (with suitable power bank or "always on" power via a battery discharge prevention device).

personally, I find that motion detect is "good enough". yes, I'd prefer that it have pre-buffered motion detect like my SG but it's pretty good at this price-point. and even with a 128GB card, that would result in just a little less than 14 hours of recording at maximum bitrate but I'm certainly away from my vehicle for longer than that during the evening or during the weekend.

Why is it necessary to only record on motion detect? Is it to save power???.
Mostly to save space and make it so you don't have to watch every single file to find what you're looking for, but more importantly, to save wear and tear on the memory card. They wear out FAST when you're constantly recording.

I feel time lapse mode could make a better solution for parking than motion detect, something we'll be looking into more over the next few months
Agree, but 1 frame per minute as David suggested is no good. 1 frame per second should be fine for most cases. I'm sure there's no chance that was a typo or brain fart :D

And if it could use motion detection to automatically switch into full speed recording when it sees something, that would be icing on the cake.

Personally I'd be thrilled to just have it automatically switch to time lapse once it doesn't feel anything with the g sensor, then switch to normal mode when it does.

Agree, but 1 frame per minute as David suggested is no good. 1 frame per second should be fine for most cases. I'm sure there's no chance that was a typo or brain fart :D

yeah my thinking would be 1 frame per second could be workable

Personally I'd be thrilled to just have it automatically switch to time lapse once it doesn't feel anything with the g sensor, then switch to normal mode when it does.

whatever format we could support I think automating the changeover is needed to get the most out of it

And if it could use motion detection to automatically switch into full speed recording when it sees something, that would be icing on the cake.

Really like your idea, just thinking what it takes to go into the menu and switch it to time lapse seems not the best idea and looking through all those also not great. Using one button to change things would be fantastic. Hope some of this is possible.

Back