Safe hardwiring setup?

HardNougat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
Hi all, I just successfully hardwired my A119 which is great but I wanted to make sure my ground wire is in a safe spot.

Here's a pic:

tpuRGOU.jpg

So the camera is fully functional with this setup but I was a bit concerned about the ground wire.

The bolt and washer you see there are one piece and do not come apart..so the ground wire is attached to the screw with a ring terminal, and secured down with that nut/washer combo. My concern is that the other side of the ring terminal is touching plastic, I assume that is OK but I just wanted to make sure with you all.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Normally bolts or screws holding plastic trim should be avoided but as long as the bolt is in good contact with the car's metal body/frame, it should be fine.

Normally bolts or screws holding plastic trim should be avoided but as long as the bolt is in good contact with the car's metal body/frame, it should be fine.
Okay, just wanted to make sure. I'll look for another spot to ground it but this seemed to be the best and closest option. I want thinking I could just put a washer in between the nut/washer and ring terminal..would that work?

If the bolt is tightened well and results in a firm connection, you don't need to worry.

Will vary car to car but try the door area behind the rubber beading as shown in the pic below or behind the footwell trim panels.

gc47-png.25314

If the bolt is tightened well and results in a firm connection, you don't need to worry.

Will vary car to car but try the door area behind the rubber beading as shown in the pic below or behind the footwell trim panels.

gc47-png.25314

Awesome thank you very much for your help!

Looks like the ring terminal isn't really big enough to be under that nut and have everything clamp down flat. Might be better to put it on top of that nut and then add another nut on top to ensure good metal to metal contact, looks like there is probably enough thread to lock it down firmly, probably an M6 size.

I suppose, theoretically, if the bolt goes through plastic/metal/plastic and the hole through all is oversize, the bolt may not make contact with the metal in the middle of the sandwich very well and you may get interrupted power if the bolt is only just touching metal. Do you know what's on the side you can't see in the photo?

I suppose, theoretically, if the bolt goes through plastic/metal/plastic and the hole through all is oversize, the bolt may not make contact with the metal in the middle of the sandwich very well and you may get interrupted power if the bolt is only just touching metal. Do you know what's on the side you can't see in the photo?
My guess would be the body of the car, but it's most likely painted so would not be an ideal ground point.

I second @harsh's recommendation for using an existing factory ground point in the lower kick panels.

Back