Has anyone measured resting battery volts after letting the unit run all night?

deputydog95

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious...

I had the power magic installed with my camera system. My installer was very concerned that the highest you could go was 12 volts in relation to the power cut.

Batteries in good health are typically well over 12.6-7 volts resting. Fairly discharged batteries are down to 12. If you repeatedly allow the power magic to run the battery down to 12 volts on a regular basis, you're really putting a hurting on your battery...

So if you leave it running for say 12 hours, just how low does the battery get?

Regular lead acid batteries won't last with constant parasitic drain, expect the life span to be greatly reduced

So if you leave it running for say 12 hours, just how low does the battery get?
I would guess that there are far too many variables to provide a realistic number.. age of battery.. type.. temperature..
With the parking feature as useless as it is I only turn my PMP on when I am parked in a particular risky location. My PMP came with the camera.. in retrospect, because of the camera parking feature and the threat of a dead battery, I would not have have wired it into the system

I have the pmp as well. Although I leave it turned off.

That being said, I'm considering yanking it and putting a cellink B in the car instead.

Although it looks like BV finally released their own battery pack.

Has anyone tried that yet?

http://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-battery-pack/

It would seem like having it run off the car battery till 12.5 and then switching to the battery pack would be a good solution.

The cell link B will run off the battery pack and then revert to the car battery until it goes to 12v. Now you're back to the 12 volt thing again, crushing your car battery.

A 300mah camera drain will take 4 AH out of your battery overnight..

winter temperatures reduce your battery capacity by up to 40%

Then toss in the fact the average car runs around at 75% capacity.

Kind of pricey.. following several links it started at $290 (sale from original 500+) then evidently there are wiring options that brought the price up to $400+ in Canadian $$

Small price to pay for your car going click click click instead of starting when you need to go somewhere....

I have the pmp as well. Although I leave it turned off.

That being said, I'm considering yanking it and putting a cellink B in the car instead.

Although it looks like BV finally released their own battery pack.

Has anyone tried that yet?

http://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-battery-pack/

It would seem like having it run off the car battery till 12.5 and then switching to the battery pack would be a good solution.

The cell link B will run off the battery pack and then revert to the car battery until it goes to 12v. Now you're back to the 12 volt thing again, crushing your car battery.

The CELLINK-B does not drain anything from your cars battery when your engine is off. It connects to ignition only, so it is only charged by the cars alternator. When the engine is off, the CELLINK will drain until depleted. On a full charge after 1 hr of driving, this equates to ~19hrs with a DR650-2CH and ~34hrs with a DR650-1CH.

The CELLINK-B does not drain anything from your cars battery when your engine is off. It connects to ignition only, so it is only charged by the cars alternator. When the engine is off, the CELLINK will drain until depleted. On a full charge after 1 hr of driving, this equates to ~19hrs with a DR650-2CH and ~34hrs with a DR650-1CH.

Understood. I was apparently reading info on the version one cellink. I guess the new ones don't interact with the car battery at all.

Is there any danger of fire or leakage? I've been seeing all these hoverboard fires and leaving a lithium battery in a hot car in the summer makes me a little nervous.

Understood. I was apparently reading info on the version one cellink. I guess the new ones don't interact with the car battery at all.

Is there any danger of fire or leakage? I've been seeing all these hoverboard fires and leaving a lithium battery in a hot car in the summer makes me a little nervous.

The only danger is if the unit is installed incorrectly, like with any product. Because the item draws up to 7A it should be installed directly into a safe fuse and not just piggy backed off other circuits. Soldering is also the preferred connection method.

The CELLINK quality is of a different league to those hover-boards.

Back