Help a brother out

If the dupe framerate isnt that big a deal (can i delete the frames and it runs perfect?)
you could have a script to extract the frames I guess, it's a barely detectable stutter that you won't notice the majority of the time, it's an extra frame not a dropped frame, so you won't lose any information which is more important

Last edited:
True, it isn't that big of a deal. And the potential gsync issues won't bother me, as I will be doing low bitrate parking mode. I know nothing of running or creating scripts. Hopefully there's an application for removing frames.

I'm set on two A129 Duo's with the rear cams for the sides. Need to figure out power now.

Last edited:
I'm set on two A129 Duo's with the rear cams for the sides. Need to figure out power now.
cheap way is with power banks but you need to rotate them to make sure you have them constantly charged and ready to go, room for error there, you also need to rely on a software solution to change modes which is not foolproof

the alternative is something like the Cellink Neo used with 3 wire ouput cable connected to the 3 wire parking cables for the cameras, hardware method of changing modes which is way more reliable, the Cellink can be cig powered or hardwired, hardwired charges faster which may be a consideration, if parked for longer periods may also need the expansion pack to run 2 cameras which would give more recording time, but will also require more charging time

there's no perfect solution to any of this but a matter of picking which solution will get you the closest to what you need to increase your chances of success

Would one neo and one expansion pack be enough for a day or two of parking in low bitrate for all 4 cams? Would hardwiring Neos harm my car battery life?

Would one neo and one expansion pack be enough for a day or two of parking in low bitrate for all 4 cams?
one day should be no problem, not sure about two though
Would hardwiring Neos harm my car battery life?
the Neo's only charge while the car is running, won't affect your vehicle battery at all

Is there a way to determine how much battery all 4 would use in one night? Does low bitrate conserve battery?

you could have a script to extract the frames I guess, it's a barely detectable stutter that you won't notice the majority of the time, it's an extra frame not a dropped frame, so you won't lose any information which is more important
ffmpeg will remove identical duplicate frames so that it plays perfectly.
Hardly worth bothering though, and the timestamps are correct so some video players may play it correctly anyway.

An A129 Duo will use about 60Wh of power in 24 hours in low bitrate mode, a decent powerbank will say how many Wh it contains so that you can do your calculation, remembering that you don't need powerbank power while driving.

Consider using the rear cameras to cover the inside, one at the back pointing forward, and one at the front pointing backward, this will give pretty good coverage out the side windows, while mounting the rear cameras on the sides results in them not being wide enough angle to cover the 360. I'm not saying it is a better solution since it depends on what you are trying to achieve, but it is worth considering/trying.

I would suggest starting with a pair of powerbanks and see how you go. You may already have one or two around the house? My 20,000mAh and 22,000mAh powerbanks are rated at 83Wh and 74Wh, and in practice they will run for around a day although I've not specifically timed them. I only tend to use them for up to 10 hours while parked at work.

I don't have any issues with auto switching to low bitrate on FW V1.5

Is there a difference in a power bank and a Cellink Neo?
Price!

Also, the Neo will charge far faster, fast enough to charge it while driving instead of having to take it into the house and charge overnight.

Please note that the image HonestReview found that I posted in the other thread is not representative of the field of view from a regular A129. I have modified mine with an ultra-wide angle lens for greater coverage.

1591628575271-png.52035

What I am suggesting here- cams mounted high inside looking somewhat downward- is the very thing I do with my side cams, so I know what they can do. He apparently doesn't have any experience with side cams at all but thinks he has expertise on the subject. Due to the length of my van I don't have full side coverage, but where my cams do cover I can see someones hands at their waist level within about a foot of my van and that will almost certainly show if a key is in their hand, along with the physical action of them reaching towards my van and dragging their hand (and likely still with the key my cams just saw in it) alongside of it, which they would hardly have any other reason for doing such an action. Only someone who knew my cam system and it's limitations could key my van unseen, and that information is not apparent from outside my van even if someone did notice my cams- which most people don't. And other folks here are showing similar findings to mine. So I don't believe my advice to be bad, and I can't see nor have I been shown how any other practical arrangement could do any better with only a pair of 2-channel cams which still retaining good usage for driving. If you get right down to it, you would probably need close to a dozen cams to give 100% coverage of a car's painted areas to catch someone keying it regardless of how they went about it, and that amount of cost and effort almost reaches to being absurd. But it's there if you want it, and you're free to be as absurd as you like as is evidenced by Honest Review, who is now on the very short list of people here who I am done with because they are simply not worth wasting any effort on.

And to those who might care, do know that the OP and I are conversing via PM now, so he's not been abandoned.

Phil

1. @TonyM who you cited even agreed with my analysis. I hardly call that trolling. @TonyM 's own Photos show the lack of side coverage. Usage of the mirror is a "work around" with limitations. The thread you posted also DOES NOT contain any photos where one can see the door panels. Meaning if I wanted to walk along the OPs car with a key down at my thigh, and stealthily key his car, you wouldn't capture that actually happening.

2. Every car is different. You cite your vehicle as an "Example" but not every Sedan, Suv, Truck, or CUV is the same. You are assuming one size fits all solution.

If you have footage or pictures stating otherwise, and that is applicable to most vehicles, I'd be glad to see the proof and admit being wrong here.

I recommended the T3 ZenFox only because it has an internal camera built in. I don't have it in hand BUT ZenFox is still sending them out for free. So OP would lose ZERO BY BEING A BETA Tester and trying out the camera. I don't call that being a shill....I call that great advice by recommending a "Free Option" to see if OP likes the product and if it fits his needs.

@kamkar1's vehicle looks like it's straight out of a futuristic movie with tons of camera. So OP isn't relegated to using one system if he truly is interested in multiple vantage points.

Last edited:
Please note that the image HonestReview found that I posted in the other thread is not representative of the field of view from a regular A129. I have modified mine with an ultra-wide angle lens for greater coverage.

1591628575271-png.52035

So the plot thickens... So to even get this vantage point, OP would need to have the technical expertise to open up the camera and replace the lens, just to get a vantage point similar to the one you've posted. Seems unlikely, but not impossible, from someone new who came here asking about cameras and setting them up.

one day should be no problem, not sure about two though

the Neo's only charge while the car is running, won't affect your vehicle battery at all

Battery Pack also puts less strain on the vehicle's own battery. Hardwire kits are a parasitic draw and will definitely shorten the car battery's lifespan. Over time, as the battery ages, the length of time the camera records becomes diminished. My battery is 6 years old, and I'm experiencing this issue now.

Battery Pack also puts less strain on the vehicle's own battery. Hardwire kits are a parasitic draw and will definitely shorten the car battery's lifespan. Over time, as the battery ages, the length of time the camera records becomes diminished. My battery is 6 years old, and I'm experiencing this issue now.
hardwiring for parking mode to the vehicle battery will certainly shorten the life of your battery, it's a cost that needs to be factored in

hardwiring for parking mode to the vehicle battery will certainly shorten the life of your battery, it's a cost that needs to be factored in

What is the lifespan of a cell link neo battery pack? I would guess cost is similar if factoring in replacing a car battery say every 3 or 4 years due to the added strain. Greatest benefit of the battery pack is probably the extended record times, since the battery pack doesn't have other systems being parasitic. A car battery has other systems Powered Seats draining it while the car is off.

Correct?

Last edited:
Cellink Neo is not a cheaper solution, have seen reports of them failing after 18 months, how long they may last for is an unknown I think, for extended parking mode though your car battery isn't much better, if your Cellink dies at least you can still start your car

The main difference between the Cellink Neo and a regular powerrbank is that the Neo hardwires to your car and charges while you drive, automatically switching your cam to car power when the engine is running, then switching to the Neo when you shut it off. Very convenient, but at quite a hefty price IMHO. And to achieve full charging takes more drive-time than a lot of people do.

How comfortable would you be installing an AGM battery power system? A battery the size of a half-gallon milk container would likely run 2 cams for 3 days, and these come in many different shapes to better fit wherever you'd want to mount it. We could walk you through the wiring points, it's nothing tough to do but it does take some thought on where everything will go then installing it there. Like the Neo, this could (and should be set up to be) be self-charging as you drive and would have a faster charging rate than thew Neo because of the different battery type, so shorter drives would make this work better. It's what I mentioned in the PM as my plans.

Phil

Back