Help a brother out

What is the lifespan of a cell link neo battery pack? I would guess cost is similar if factoring in replacing a car battery say every 3 or 4 years due to the added strain. Greatest benefit of the battery pack is probably the extended record times, since the battery pack doesn't have other systems being parasitic. A car battery has other systems Powered Seats draining it while the car is off.

Correct?
We don't know the lifespan of a Neo. Lithium batteries should have 3-5 times the lifespan of an AGM battery and maybe 10x a standard lead acid battery. However the Neo charges its battery very fast, which reduces life span considerably, so we really don't know. I suggest that during your ownership of your car, you may replace an AGM battery once, or zero times depending on how long you keep the car, and if it came with an AGM battery as standard. So comparing the overall cost of installing a Neo, which may last until you sell the car, or replacing the standard battery once...

Also, I am not convinced that the Neo gives the longer record time. An AGM battery will charge faster for the majority of the charge.
The parasitic systems should be fairly irrelevant, although on my car the ultrasonic alarm does use a significant amount. The powered seats should use nothing when off, in fact they should not even be powered once the car is locked.

So my view is that if your car comes with an AGM battery, use that with a hardwire kit with low voltage cutoff. If the car comes with a standard lead acid battery, use that until it starts to die and then upgrade it to AGM. For most cars, an AGM battery will cost less than a Neo and last long enough that you will not need to replace it.

I like the AGM idea. Can you hardwire 2 a129 duo's, so four cams?

We don't know the lifespan of a Neo. Lithium batteries should have 3-5 times the lifespan of an AGM battery and maybe 10x a standard lead acid battery. However the Neo charges its battery very fast, which reduces life span considerably, so we really don't know. I suggest that during your ownership of your car, you may replace an AGM battery once, or zero times depending on how long you keep the car, and if it came with an AGM battery as standard. So comparing the overall cost of installing a Neo, which may last until you sell the car, or replacing the standard battery once...

Also, I am not convinced that the Neo gives the longer record time. An AGM battery will charge faster for the majority of the charge.
The parasitic systems should be fairly irrelevant, although on my car the ultrasonic alarm does use a significant amount. The powered seats should use nothing when off, in fact they should not even be powered once the car is locked.

So my view is that if your car comes with an AGM battery, use that with a hardwire kit with low voltage cutoff. If the car comes with a standard lead acid battery, use that until it starts to die and then upgrade it to AGM. For most cars, an AGM battery will cost less than a Neo and last long enough that you will not need to replace it.

@jokkin indicated he's seen Neo's die in 18 months? Lithium batteries are suppose to have a decent shelf life, even with constant recharges. So is the manufacturer of the Cell Link Neo using inferior components? 18 months on an item that's around $300 isn't very promising. Think of a cell phone. It gets recharged and discharged on a daily basis. Modern cell phones also use rapid charging technology and one can expect a few years of shelf life.

I have not checked into getting an AGM battery, but I am glad you mentioned them. I surmise my battery is approaching its shelf life and will need swapped out sooner than later. Been meaning to read up about AGM vs Lead Acid. Any Input here? What's the shelf life of an AGM battery?

@jokkin indicated he's seen Neo's die in 18 months? Lithium batteries are suppose to have a decent shelf life, even with constant recharges.
18 x 31 = 558, which is actually more recharges than lipos are normally rated for, and as I said, the Neo charges them at super fast rate which reduces their lives, so 18 months for a loss of 25% capacity is believable. However I guess jokiin may be talking about electronics failing rather than cells failing?

Phones don't get a 100% charge every day, mine only gets 25%, plus most only accept a slow charge, 18W which is the maximum for an iPhone 11 is slow for the size of battery, standard iPhone 11 is only 5W charge, which should mean it lasts for decades.

What's the shelf life of an AGM
I suggest you buy a newly manufactured one, then you don't need to worry about shelf life!
Typically they last roughly twice as long as a normal lead acid battery, which makes them reasonable value, and they also charge at twice the speed which is great for parking mode.

I like the AGM idea. Can you hardwire 2 a129 duo's, so four cams?
You will need 2x HK3 hardwire kit, otherwise you can't plug the cables in.
You can connect both HK3 to the same fuse tap.

18 x 31 = 558, which is actually more recharges than lipos are normally rated for, and as I said, the Neo charges them at super fast rate which reduces their lives, so 18 months for a loss of 25% capacity is believable. However I guess jokiin may be talking about electronics failing rather than cells failing?

When you say 18 x 31 what are you referencing? Please clarify those numbers.

25% capacity loss isn't unacceptable, as the battery would still be operating at 75% capacity after 18 months. Batteries tend to lose / have reduced charge as their age.

However I guess jokiin may be talking about electronics failing rather than cells failing?

That's what I'm wondering, too. Sounds unacceptable that a $300 / 300E device fails in 18 months...So I wonder what his definition of "failure may be". Total failure or reduced capacity?

Phones don't get a 100% charge every day, mine only gets 25%, plus most only accept a slow charge, 18W which is the maximum for an iPhone 11 is slow for the size of battery, standard iPhone 11 is only 5W charge, which should mean it lasts for decades.

Newer Phones like the Galaxy S9 onward (not sure with what model rapid charge began) have rapid charging capability (Quick Charge). I've let my phone run out of juice or close to it numerous times over the past 2 years of ownership. While the battery life has diminished some, I'm still able to go a decent amount of the day before needing to recharge again. My phone uses rapid charge when plugged into a wall socket.

I suggest you buy a newly manufactured one, then you don't need to worry about shelf life!
Typically they last roughly twice as long as a normal lead acid battery, which makes them reasonable value, and they also charge at twice the speed which is great for parking mode.

Thanks I'll delve into researching them some.

@Dashmellow what's your power setup?

I run 5 cameras in my vehicle. Four of them are used for "parking mode". So, living in a rural area I run the cams from my vehicle's 12V power until I arrive at my first destination of the day when I switch over to two power banks, one 20,000 mAh power bank and one 20,800 mAh. Generally, for convenience I simply leave the cameras running off the power banks for much of the day until I head home, at which time I (manually) switch back to onboard power. These are lithium power banks. One (the 20,800 mAh) is a standard lithium-ion, while the other (20,000 mAh) is a single large lithium-polymer cell.

During the summer months I switch to using two 20,000 mAh LiFePO4 power banks for enhanced safety in hotter weather.

Depending on my usage I simply bring the banks inside, let them rest at room temperature for a period and then charge them overnight every other day or so. The power banks are stored in hard shell shockproof cases similar to Pelican cases and these go into a canvas tote bag that I use daily to transport various items to and from my vehicle.

I've become accustomed to this routine and don't find it to be a big inconvenience. I use this method primarily because running four cameras from a device like a Cellink would be impractical.

Last edited:
@HonestReview It's called "What Should I Buy" not "we". Please create your own thread if you have questions. I don't need the notifications, especially for you.

@Dashmellow What made you go that route instead of AGM?

If you get right down to it, you would probably need close to a dozen cams to give 100% coverage of a car's painted areas to catch someone keying it regardless of how they went about it, and that amount of cost and effort almost reaches to being absurd. But it's there if you want it, and you're free to be as absurd as you like as is evidenced by Honest Review, who is now on the very short list of people here who I am done with because they are simply not worth wasting any effort on.

And to those who might care, do know that the OP and I are conversing via PM now, so he's not been abandoned.

Phil

Faulty statement....Early in this thread, I posted a link to Quad Channel Dash Cameras. I have NOT tested any of these so I cannot speak to their build quality or reliability, but quad channel systems do exist. Mainly geared towards trucks. However, the OP could have TRUE 360 degree coverage if he'd risk giving one of these cameras a shot. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quad+channel+dash+camera&qid=1591716496&ref=sr_pg_1

FYI, Please do show your van setup and coverage. And a Van has more potential mounting points and less curvature so better side coverage may be obtainable. Especially using the mirrors. However, pointing the cameras at the mirrors has numerous limitations not including them getting dirty and obstructing the view. And pointing them downward is still going to miss sections of the fan.

How about a screenshot of what we can see out of the sides of your van? @TonyM modified his A129 Duo (which I've NEVER ATTEMPTED} and he still lacks sufficient coverage in the screenshot provided.

Please ignore him for this thread. Every response is just combative. He won't stop hyperfocusing on perfect 360 coverage even though we've moved past that.

@HonestReview It's called "What Should I Buy" not "we". Please create your own thread if you have questions. I don't need the notifications, especially for you.

1. You PM'ed me first! And if @SawMaster wants to accuse me of being a "Shill", then I suggest SawMaster look back at Zen_Fox's thread! Zen_Fox (Manufacturer) is offering people a NO RISK product at NO COST. So remind me how this is bad advice? Not like I'm trying to sell a product here.

2. We Buy? Nigel raised the AGM Battery question. I'm not telling you to buy anything...... Except a walking stick to go take a hike.

Please ignore him for this thread. Every response is just combative. He won't stop hyperfocusing on perfect 360 coverage even though we've moved past that.

1. I provided you with information to get a FREE CAMERA that if you liked, would cover Front + Rear + Interior Coverage.

2. Apparently you didn't go back to page 4 (We're on Page 5) where SawMaster fixated on the 360 view and a nice Op Ed of how this is impossible and I'm wrong. Not really moved past the point...But "OK".

3. I run a Viofo A129 Duo. @TonyM does too, but to get the coverage he does, requires modifying the camera and lens.

4. The only fixed position on a Nissan Rogue is the Rear Window. The Pillars MAY have side curtains, so if you were ever in an accident, it'll trash the camera. If that's not a problem, perfect. None the less, you absolutely CANNOT run wires by tucking them in to a modern vehicle with side curtains. All wires need to be run BEHIND the airbag. Or you obstruct deployment.

Basically convenience, size and cost.

I was among the first members here on the forum who began expereimenting with power banks for dash cam usage more than six years ago and have been using them ever since for a range of camera applications beyond just dash cams.

My first power banks were cheap generics from China and they lasted four years in almost daily service of 4 to 8 hours a day. In those days you couldn't really buy a name brand power bank with a warranty and decent customer support, although Anker was just beginning to establish a presence as a high quality manufacturer.

No vantage point will capture the door panels, no matter how you position camera. If I walk alongside the car with my hands to my thighs and key the car, it won't catch anything. Just someone being next to the car. Which is "Suspicion" but not proof that the person keyed it. Meaning if you wanted to file charges or sue the person, the evidence you're seeking won't be there.

Still without a clue despite evidence to the contrary, and as I predicted, still chronically abusive to every DCT member who doesn't happen to agree with you or want your unsolicited advice. (n)

1. I provided you with information to get a FREE CAMERA
Can I just point out that those are not free cameras, you are supposed to give something back in return. It was an invitation to "review", or "test". Maybe the OP on this thread does not want to produce and publish a video review, or perform extensive documented testing of a new camera that almost certainly still has some bugs. Not only a new camera but a new brand that nobody had heard of until a week ago! How can you possibly recommend an unheard of brand selling an untested camera as a reliable and working solution?

I'm not saying that it is a bad camera, in fact I said it was a good camera in the third post of the other thread, but that was a recomendation for people interested in reviewing, not buying.

Clearly the OP wants a working solution, so lets concentrate on that, and if you have your own questions or want to reply to this post, this is not the place to do so!

I would be leaving it in low bitrate parking mode all night, so AMG sounds like a better option than power banks yes?

I would be leaving it in low bitrate parking mode all night, so AMG sounds like a better option than power banks yes?
First check if your car already has an AGM battery, if it does then that is probably best.

If it doesn't, you can try using the standard car battery and see if it works for you, if it does then keep using it and upgrade to an AGM once the standard battery is not giving enough record time, you might get a year or two out of it but remember that the AGM battery will charge faster, so for shorter journeys will do better.

If you drive less than 30 minutes a day, or don't drive at all at weekends, but still want 24/7 coverage, then the AGM route may not charge sufficiently for 4 channel recording, in which case the powerbank option is the only sensible choice, but it also gives you some work to do recharging every day.

Can I just point out that those are not free cameras, you are supposed to give something back in return. It was an invitation to "review", or "test". Maybe the OP on this thread does not want to produce and publish a video review, or perform extensive documented testing of a new camera that almost certainly still has some bugs. Not only a new camera but a new brand that nobody had heard of until a week ago! How can you possibly recommend an unheard of brand selling an untested camera as a reliable and working solution?

I'm not saying that it is a bad camera, in fact I said it was a good camera in the third post of the other thread, but that was a recomendation for people interested in reviewing, not buying.

Clearly the OP wants a working solution, so lets concentrate on that, and if you have your own questions or want to reply to this post, this is not the place to do so!

1. All Op had to say was "Not Interested". SawMaster accused me of pushing a product and I merely recommended as a possible option. But yes, it's free monetarily, but you are right! The expectation is that you are beta testing the product and yes, it might not prove reliable. Early testing from people shows promise, but anyone who has received their product has had it just a few days.

Issue Dropped. OP doesn't want to participate:

2. Issue of battery pack vs. car battery was raised. I merely pointed out the advantages and disadvantages of both. @jokiin has indicated that battery packs might have a shorter lifespan (unusual) and @jokiin knows his stuff. I don't doubt his analysis that they have failed within 18 months. Not very reassuring on a $300 product. Hoping that's more a fluke than status quo, because rapid charging / quick charging Lithium Batteries should make it a few years.

3. You raised issue of AGM battery and I followed with a question. OP seems to think it was valid point, as he's inquired more about the subject.

Last edited:

If you want to use a power bank a 20,000 mAh unit should have no problem running a typical dash cam over night. They are inexpensive enough so you could purchase two or more spares so you can swap in a fully charged bank when needed. If you wanted to have plenty of reserve capacity or perhaps operate more than one camera you could go with a high capacity power bank such as the 185Wh/50,000mAh MaxOak or the 58830mAh Halo. There are others in this range to explore as well.

Some days I won't even drive the car, so I guess power banks are my best option for running 4 cams overnight. Are those models the best for something like this?

Back