HELP! HIT AND RUN! Can almost make out the plate!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you are saying that he wasn't allowed to move from the left turn lane into the right turn lane? Or only that he wasn't allowed to when the lane was already in use.

If so, what is the purpose of the "Yield" signs? They appear to say that the OP should have yielded to the car he had a collision with, that car was already in the junction and indicating right when the OP passed the yield sign.

Both - Wasn't allowed to move from left lane and Turn Right from Left Lane.

The Yield sign applied to OP when stopping and then moving forward to advance. Once he moved forward, he "owned" that lane. The other driver illegally cut over from two left lanes in front of OP. No question of fault.

These were the five best screen grabs I could get.......

211004_032801_932.00.jpg

211004_032801_932.03.jpeg

211004_032801_932.00.jpeg

211004_032801_932.01.jpeg

211004_032801_932.02.jpeg

Last edited:
So how do the yield signs work? The OP didn't yield to anyone!

The yield sign is tens of yards back at the point where traffic is merging. There is no yield sign at the intersection where the accident occurred (see photo above) because there are clearly delineated lanes of traffic for left and right turns and the cars in those lanes have the legal right of way. There would be no expectation that a vehicle would come cutting across your path from two lanes over to the left to make an illegal right hand turn. The intersection also has traffic lights, thus no reason to have a yield sign.

Last edited:
Although in the clip it does look like the OP had plenty of time to see the idiot coming across don’t forget that as far as I’m concerned a dash cam sees more and we are reviewing a clip after the event so plenty easy to say should have avoided the accident.

Although in the clip it does look like the OP had plenty of time to see the idiot coming across don’t forget that as far as I’m concerned a dash cam sees more and we are reviewing a clip after the event so plenty easy to say should have avoided the accident.

That's a good point. I've experienced many incidents over the years where my dash cam revealed aspects of what happened that I didn't perceive in the moment while the situation was unfolding. Plus, in this case it was raining which probably didn't help matters.

General Thought. New York Plate. Vehicle that hit him is Lexus SUV. Based upon Design, and my first close up screen cap, Maybe a 2016 RX350? Both vehicles have similar Design and Tail Lights. Turn that, your video, and my photos over to insurance, and not sure if they have capability of narrowing things down any further.

2016-Lexus-RX350-Eminent-White-Pearl-33.jpg

What I've just noticed is the early comments about vibration and today seeing the Nextbase logo.

Nextbase dashcams, hanging off a stalk, was one of the reasons I dumped them. I didn't initially realise how bad it was until I looked at the parked windscreen wiper area and saw that vibrating away on less than perfect roads.

It's a crappy intersection for sure. I definitely think the black car was at fault. However, I don't think @leaf_Huntington was driving defensively. The gray car to @leaf_Huntington's left brakes and @leaf_Huntington appears to speed up to prevent the black car from cutting in front of him/her. Typically when you see another car brake unexpectedly you slow down.

I can somewhat understand being caught off guard with a car cutting across, especially if this is your first time at that intersection. However, if you frequently drive through that intersection, then you pretty know what to expect. It seems like this might be a pretty common occurrence due to the merging of the two roads.

That's a good point. I've experienced many incidents over the years where my dash cam revealed aspects of what happened that I didn't perceive in the moment while the situation was unfolding. Plus, in this case it was raining which probably didn't help matters.

Also people seem to forget that the dash cam sits well before the cars A pillar so has a completely different view to the driver.

I once saw a cam footage where a driver set off from his house and approached a junction to turn left, to his left a cyclist who was riding on the pavement came at breakneck speed and crashed into the side of his car. With the dash cam footage you could see the cyclist a second or so earlier so the driver got lambasted for being a crap driver. In reality there would have been no time to react as he approached the junction and who would expect a cyclist to be going full pelt on the pavement?

It seems like this might be a pretty common occurrence due to the merging of the two roads.
A poor assumption that serves no purpose other than to 'blame the victim'. I can count on the thumbs of both hands the number of times I've encountered a driver crossing 2 traffic lanes to make an illegal turn - and that's in 50+ years of driving. Not something I would anticipate as being a 'common occurrence'.

A poor assumption that serves no purpose other than to 'blame the victim'. I can count on the thumbs of both hands the number of times I've encountered a driver crossing 2 traffic lanes to make an illegal turn - and that's in 50+ years of driving. Not something I would anticipate as being a 'common occurrence'.

And hindsight is 20/20. The viewer of a video has the benefit of doubt of knowing an incident is going to occur. So we watch the video expecting an accident. When driving, you have to make split second decisions. The OP didn't know the person would illegally cut across two lanes and side swipe his car. So blaming the OP, who has no fault here, is B.S.

I do blame the OP for his poor choice of music and the bass that rattled the crap out of his car, causing the stalk to vibrate heavily. Had he not been bumping it, the camera would have gotten a cleaner shot of the plates.

Looks to be a New Jersey plate on that RX. It’s super pixelated on my end even after I downloaded it. Your screen shots look much more clear. If you are an iPhone user try downloading a free app called “CMV Free” and you will be able to frame by frame review and in app screen shot of your uncompressed video on your end. You’ll effortlessly be able capture screen shots usually not possible by scrubbing with your finger. If you can make it out you can do a free vehicle history report by plate & it will confirm what type of vehicle it is and give you the VIN #.

Dave

Looks to be a New Jersey plate on that RX. It’s super pixelated on my end even after I downloaded it. Your screen shots look much more clear. If you are an iPhone user try downloading a free app called “CMV Free” and you will be able to frame by frame review and in app screen shot of your uncompressed video on your end. You’ll effortlessly be able capture screen shots usually not possible by scrubbing with your finger. If you can make it out you can do a free vehicle history report by plate & it will confirm what type of vehicle it is and give you the VIN #.

Dave

I did a frame by frame with Vdub 2. That's how I got those clearer images. What I capped was the best you're going to extract from his video. The video on the site is 720, but if you download the actual video, it's less pixelated (but still not great) and 1080p. A frame by frame generated those few clearer images I posted.

I think you're right. I thought the black border at top was that of New York. But it appears to be a license plate holder looking closer. New Jersey would narrow it down quite a bit being such a tiny place looking at the map.

A ~2016 RX350 only thing is can't read any numbers on screen cap. But maybe someone has better eyes than I. Not sure there's much more I can do to clean up those images.

1633618159732.jpeg

New_Jersey_license_plate_2014.jpg

Last edited:
Cool you’re already on it. A 27” iMac would be helpful to make it out. Man it’s so close to being readable. My first dash cam was a DOD LS360W & it was super easy to read plates. A solder joint broke and I picked up a LS370W and the image quality improved but the FOV was wider (170 vs 140) & I struggled to read anything if there was some distance. Definitely going back to a narrower FOV on my next. Currently using a Roav A1 and WiFi is a game changer. It’s got a FOV of 170 degrees and it still struggles. The LS360W was my best license place reader dash cam I had by far. Had a Yi for a short while but returned it immediately. It had vibrant colors and the video quality was a step up but it would start overwriting files at about half capacity. I would keep all of my video on external drives just in case I was accused of not doing something for work or getting a carpool violation & or red light photo violation. It’s nice to have something to to refer back to.

Cool you’re already on it. A 27” iMac would be helpful to make it out. Man it’s so close to being readable. My first dash cam was a DOD LS360W & it was super easy to read plates. A solder joint broke and I picked up a LS370W and the image quality improved but the FOV was wider (170 vs 140) & I struggled to read anything if there was some distance. Definitely going back to a narrower FOV on my next. Currently using a Roav A1 and WiFi is a game changer. It’s got a FOV of 170 degrees and it still struggles. The LS360W was my best license place reader dash cam I had by far. Had a Yi for a short while but returned it immediately. It had vibrant colors and the video quality was a step up but it would start overwriting files at about half capacity. I would keep all of my video on external drives just in case I was accused of not doing something for work or getting a carpool violation & or red light photo violation. It’s nice to have something to to refer back to.

The OP was bumping his stereo causing way too much vibration to the NextBase that mounts via a stalk. Unfortunately, while it's super close to being readable, it's just not there. Maybe someone can take those images and do magic. But I simply don't know any other way to get a better image.

I hope OP can catch the guy, but at the very worst, he has the accident on camera. So his insurance company can handle things via a hit and run.

This is why I run two cameras (Two Front + Two Back). Increases chances if one camera doesn't capture, the other one might!

One method that can 'sometimes' extract a license plate number from a video frame is a technique used primarily in astrophotography called "image stacking" in combination with carefully applied sharpening and other post processing techniques. Multiple copies of a video frame are "stacked" and processed to remove noise (increase signal to noise ratio) increase dynamic range and increase clarity. Tools for image stacking are available in image processing software such as Photoshop, Affinity Photo and other similar programs. There are a few excellent dedicated software programs available that do image stacking only such as Autostakkert. One needs to have a good understanding of imaging fundamentals and facility with the software in order to do this kind of work.

https://www.autostakkert.com/wp/enhance/

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/image-stacks.html

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.l...pages/Stacking/stacks.html?title=Image stacks

Last edited:
One method that can 'sometimes' extract a license plate number from a video frame is a technique used primarily in astrophotography called "image stacking"
Can be very successful when everyone is not moving, but normally you don't need it when nobody is moving.
In this video there are insufficient/no frames suitable for stacking.

Can be very successful when everyone is not moving, but normally you don't need it when nobody is moving.
In this video there are insufficient/no frames suitable for stacking.

I was only able to pull a few good frames, with the rest being a blurry mess. I know nothing of how to use stacking, so I can't comment here. Just that I would agree that the usable amount of data from the video is quite limited.

Looks like an interesting junction design. Is this the route that the lexus driver should have taken to make the right turn? Or should the queue that the OP was in yield to allow the lexus to get across into that right hand lane?

Screenshot_20211007-233653-01.jpeg

So I tried to convert the video to a SER file and much of the file was nothing but static. I don't know if those static parts are unusable portions. As beginning and end were fine.

Not skilled or never tried the image stacking at all. But was bored...

I hope someone can help this guy, but I fear he's out of luck.

I'd certainly love to learn how to process a video / image stacking if anyone has success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back