Hidden Dash cam?

fatdaddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want front Dashcam that is hidden from casual inspection/view...I see cameras for license plates, which would work but they seem to be for parking, not black box recording. Any suggestions?

What is your budget?

Prefer DIY, so pretty much any off the shelf camera, say 100-300 range per camera (front and back), not keen on going to a custom shop and having them special build me a system.

Prefer DIY, so pretty much any off the shelf camera, say 100-300 range per camera (front and back), not keen on going to a custom shop and having them special build me a system.
forgot to mention - I live in California so it gets VERY HOT inside of car during summer...batteries expand and burst....:-(....so capacitor is best for me....
I have the ANker Roav camera, which is sorta discreet...but when I enter work compound, gate guard always sees it and have me unplug/remove it....pain in the arse.....

If you're willing, or wanting, to DIY then you could look at a Mobius 1. The lens & sensor module can be remote from the main body of the camera with a ribbon cable between them. A few members here have done this.

For less DIY, and better video quality, you could look at systems with remote cameras like the K2S. Or you could use just the rear camera from something like the dual channel A129 Duo or the SG9663DC, with the main camera hidden out of sight. SG have a new remote camera that might work for you https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...al-waterproof-camera-for-the-sggcx2pro.39567/

thanks for the info....are their any dashcams that either look like a radar detector or are housed in/with a radar detector...that might work...

thanks for the info....are their any dashcams that either look like a radar detector or are housed in/with a radar detector...that might work...
Russia and Taiwan both have combo radar detector dashcam models, generally not great cameras though

Many members here have done different types of mods using the (tiny) Mobius 1 camera and the remote lens module (via the available cable extension) that @TonyM mentioned. I've done a few using DIY remote housings for the module such as a round one made from a ping pong ball and one that just uses heat shrink tubing. A few people here have hidden a Mobius camera inside the sensor housing in car windshields. Using just the circuit board from a Mobius 1 camera with a remote lens module you could easily hide the camera inside the housing from a radar detector. Depending upon the particular radar detector housing you use, you might even be able to fit a whole Mobius camera inside.

Check the DIY section of this forum or do some searching for numerous examples of projects people have done with the Mobius. Also try the Mobius Mounting Solutions thread.

EDIT: I managed to dig up one of the older posts I was referring to where someone mounted a remote Mobius lens module inside a sensor housing. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/page-21
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/post-94216

There are a few better examples but I don't have time at the moment to keep searching, but I think you'll get the idea.

Last edited:
If they're looking just through the front windshield, a Mobius style camera mounted a little higher up should work. May get a line or two of the dotted area into the view but still beats detaching and reattaching the camera every time you enter.

If the rules you must go by require cams be dismounted, you're going to have a bigger problem if a "hidden" cam system is discovered :eek: Perhaps request a meeting with the guard's superiors to show them how you can verifiably disable your cams somehow without dismounting them so that you can comply with the rules as well as making their job a little easier too. Most problems are best resolved openly, and suspicions aren't aroused when you operate that way ;)

Phil

Parking mode i dont think are a option in CALI, at least not if he park in the sun.
Only so much heat a camera can deal with while recording, and a car parked in the sun get very hot inside, so high chance of a thermal triggered shut down.

Back