How do you wire the rear camera on a hatchback or suv?

bobby14

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm looking to install a 2 channel dash cam on a suv and need some ideas how to run the wire to the rear hatch. I can get the wire to the back just like when wiring a sedan but need to figure out how to cross the wire onto the hatch lid.

Let's hear of any great ideas or pictures. Thanks in advance. :)

I just have the USB wire come out from under the headliner at the top right next to the camera on the hatch.
ATM the headliner suffer a little as the rubber seal holding it is not that effective back there, so i plan to make a little cut in the headliner to route the cable thru.
Should be lots of ideas in the "where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures"

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-38#post-261776

kamkar, that's pretty neat and soooo much easier than passing it through the rubber boot/grommet with the rest of the wiring. unfortunately, on my hatch, I had to do it the difficult way. if I installed it like you, I would have way too much excess cable slack because of the angle my hatch opens. i'll take pics of my rear install some time this weekend.

First i use to sneak the USB cable all the way from the front and then under the plastic panels to the back then up alongside the back of the rear seat, and then thru the gap where the seat belt come out and then feed a couple of feet over the headliner to the location.

But now i have 12 V outlets in the boot, so the PSU is plugged in there and then just feed up behind the plastic panels, pretty simple and even doable with the original Joovuu power supply with the GPS antenna on the power cable.

ive a suv. i just wired the rear cam on the top part back there by the dome lamp housing. works well for me.

My estate cars boot door opens in two sections, a small glass hatch and the full door as a whole. The way I've done mine, the boot door will never interfere with the wire or cam. See my post here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/posts/255752/

The wire runs down the passenger side of the car, between the headliner, weatherstrips, etc and the trim panels, most of which I didn't need to remove.

Back