How is your battery dashcam holding up?

Perrico

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am currently using the Papago S37. Happy enough with it. It uses a capacitor.
Previous camera was the Mini 0806 which I think actually had sharper video quality but the unit was unreliable. The Mini used a battery and not a cap.
I thought caps were the way to go but recently noticed a number of current units on the market using batteries. There are a number of them which I would purchase if not for the fact that they use batteries instead of caps.
So wondering if anyone is using a battery dash cam and how it is holding up long term - let's say at least 9 months and preferably with feedback in both cold and hot temperatures as my car interior can be in -30C cold to +45C degree heat.

BTW, I think it was the heat that killed my Mini 0806. S37 has been working just fine.

It's not the cold that bothers cameras, high heat can be a problem with some cameras.

Lithium batteries should not be charged at below-freezing temps, but I've not heard of it being a problem with dashcams. Probably because the charging current is low and charging heats the battery. Plus the processer in the cam heats up quickly and that also heats the battery. So the battery is probably in the safe charging range within a minute or two and can tolerate the minor 'abuse' before then. The heats you speak of will be a problem, so I'd recommend a cap-powered cam anyway.

I've had three battery cams. My old Mobius battery swelled within a couple months of summer heat of what was probably around 38C. I swapped to caps and it'sstill fine about 4 years later. My G1W clone has lasted an entire summer where many days were 32C to 35C and still shuts down properly with no evident battery swelling. My Transcend N2 Pro missed the worst of the summer heat here and is too new for me to have a valid comment on but it's doing OK still. All mount out of direct sunlight with some distance between them and the glass which helps considerably in keeping the cams cool.

In reading these forums for over 4 years I'm beginning to think that this may be the most important factor in avoiding heat-related cam problems. Even mounting behind the dotted 'frit' sees the cam getting much of the radiated heat from the glass even if direct sunlight is blocked. In other cars I've used a mirror mount and suction mount where the cap-equipped cams I've ran there did see direct summer sun most of the day, but had distance from the factory-tinted windshield. The distance may create problems with dash reflections though. However you manage it, keep your cam as cool as possible in the summer and everything should be fine, especially with cap powered cams.

Phil

Back