Idea?

arcticfire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mechanic at work has a SAAB 9-3 2.8T which is remapped to 320BHP and 550Nm of torque and wants me to plonk my Bluetooth dongle in and connect to Torque to check out some stats etc. Got me thinking it would be pretty cool if a dashcam could have some similar features also. Not so much the OBD stuff but using GPS for doing 0-60, 60-80, 1/4 etc like Torque. Would be pretty cool to have it overlaid on the footage, obviously you'd have to be careful where you do it! lol

Would it be doable? It already has GPS so surely it would just be coding?

Come to think of it, I think there's dashcams now that can connect to the OBD so being able to pull up Fuel Trims etc over your footage could be quite handy for diagnostics.

A fjew dashcams support OBD, but since not all cars speak the same lingo there the cameras might not be able to undestand all the info.

For the most its brakes - trottle - steering - indicators - rpm - eco - gear, at least for the Lukas cameras.

The DSPs in dash cams have somewhat limited capabilities and are already pretty taxed to their limits as it is. Adding even more features would likely create problems, cause them to run hotter and add to the cost of the cameras.

Personally, I don't get the impulse and oft heard drumbeat of requests to keep adding more and more bells and whistles to dash cams. It is also one of the reasons I am a fan of cameras like the Mobius which eschew all but the vital basics as it is the reason for their rock solid reliability.

Having said all this, I imagine @arcticfire might appreciate the Performance Data Recorder integrated factory dash cam that was introduced to the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/corvet...-try-it-out-at-sebring-intl-raceway-2014-ces/

Last edited:
Easyest solution is put some kind of obd info device on to the dashboard where dashcam can see it, like spare android phone with torque.
I tried cheap HUD display byt sadly due to refresh frequency that display did not work at daylight.

Back