Im looking for a dash camera where I can press a button and it will save the last x amount of video

Alex.buck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a dash camera where I can press a button and it will save the last amount of video like the shock feature some cameras have but just operates by pressing a button. Can anyone help me?

Last x amount that's set my camera or you?
If it's by camera, almost all cameras save the current clip or 10 seconds before etc...
If you want to select x amount of time after pressing button, that's a safety hazard and shouldn't be allowed while operating vehicle.

Most cams have this feature so you'll need to look at the specs on the ones which interest you to see if they will do what you want. Also look to see how that feature is activated- you don't want to have to look for a button when the driving situation becomes critical; you want something intuitive and easy to do by feel.

On the cams with better "G-sensor" or "Shock sensor" functions, you can simply reach over and tap the cam to activate the "save" function. On many cheaper cams they are too sensitive and will save and lock files unintentionally when you hit bumps in the road, filling the card and stopping it from recording anything else until you clear them. Read the reviews and see what others have experienced.

Phil

Any recording should be able to be reviewed from the moment you start your car......... IMO

All three of my models and I suspect most mid level and above units have this function. I prefer using a large memory chip that will capture 8 plus hours and return at my leisure, especially since I'll never remember what switch to hit.

I'm after a dash camera where I can press a button and it will save the last amount of video like the shock feature some cameras have but just operates by pressing a button. Can anyone help me?
5 ( max 10 ) sec. is what present pre-buffer dashcams allow to record / save after you click "emergency rec." button. This is the best you can get.

5 ( max 10 ) sec. is what present pre-buffer dashcams allow to record / save after you click "emergency rec." button. This is the best you can get.

Some camera can save the whole clip as well when event button is manually pressed.

Last edited:
Some camera and said the whole clip as wellwwhen event button is manually pressed.
This is the game of "Russian roulette" and I believe no one want to play this ;)

That is why I always tell people to read the reviews and comments threads on specific cameras here before buying. I think we can trust us a lot more than we can trust many seller's advertising claims.

I find that almost all of the sellers and manufacturers who are active here are quite honest regarding their products performance. These people set a high standard which is very commendable and a refreshing change from what is usual in today's world. Hopefully the new sellers and manufacturers who show up here will follow that lead.

Phil

That is why I always tell people to read the reviews and comments threads on specific cameras here before buying. I think we can trust us a lot more than we can trust many seller's advertising claims.

I find that almost all of the sellers and manufacturers who are active here are quite honest regarding their products performance. These people set a high standard which is very commendable and a refreshing change from what is usual in today's world. Hopefully the new sellers and manufacturers who show up here will follow that lead.

Phil
Usually sooner or later all "hide-aways" coming out, it's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
I only recently discovered the mobius has this feature.:oops:
I actually missed a few clips because of the PanoramaII, long story....
Not sure how exactly the mobius works.

Phil
+1

I thought of this but after looking at specs of majority of the dashcams, I believe that is the limitation by hardware. To buffer large amount of video, you would need that much RAM and/or processing power, which I doubt any one of the dashcams have. Its very much doable though. It can also have a few presets, like collision or vehicle within a certain distance etc.

Back