Intermittent rear camera

I am using a SanDisck 256 High Endurance card. I do not have another card to try.

I have formatted the SD card several times using the dashcam.
Formatting in the camera is the equivalent of a quick format in a computer, it resets the file allocation table and tells the device the space can all be reused but in reality the files are still there

Better to do an overwrite format using SDformatter to fix any recoverable errors on the card and completely reset it, format in the camera again after

Last edited:
Does anyone have issues with the rear camera? I updated to the latest firmware per Viofo's suggestion and that worked for a while. A few days ago I checked the display and the rear camera was not working again. I unpluged the rear camera and plugged it back in and it began to work again. I emailed Viofo but have not heard back yet. I am worried that the rear camera will not be working if I need it for evidence.

Generally related to a faulty cable or hardware issue. I would 100% try another cable. If you are randomly dropping the rear camera, it sounds like that cable is losing contact with the main camera. Unplugging and plugging it back in is a good indication.

Request Viofo send you a new cable and try that out first.

I have Similar issues with my A129 Plus eMMC model. In fact I have already posted about it a few days ago on a separate tread. So it looks like it is a fairly common problem affecting both, the A129 with out eMMC and the one with it.

I have found particularly difficult to pinpoint what is causing this issue since it happens very sporadically, sometimes weeks apart in my case. Rear cable seems very solid and I have tried to wiggle it slightly including the power cable to see if I can get it to replicate the issue but it won't happen.

I personally do regular sd card maintenance where I do a full format using sd formater with my computer about every two months and formatting on board (dashcam) a few times in between, probably every two weeks.
Using a Samsung Evo select 128 gb and it seems healthy after running a test with cristaldiskmark software. I'm waiting for a new samsung pro endurance card to do a test.
Someone suggested to run a test without using any sd card to allow the embedded memory to work as a way to rule out the possibility of a ba or slow sd card but considering how sporadic this issue is, once again makes it very difficult.

I do NOT think this is a heat related issue since this some times happens at start up while temperatures are nice and pleasant and I do not use any of the parking mode features.

One question I have for all of you. Does the camera starts beeping when the rear channel drops? Mine does

Generally related to a faulty cable or hardware issue. I would 100% try another cable. If you are randomly dropping the rear camera, it sounds like that cable is losing contact with the main camera. Unplugging and plugging it back in is a good indication.

Request Viofo send you a new cable and try that out first.
Viofo sent a new rear cable which I install with great care. The front cable is original but have never had an issue with that camera.

Viofo sent a new rear cable which I install with great care. The front cable is original but have never had an issue with that camera.

Didn't see that, but those were the definite first steps. Seems this is probably related to a firmware bug according to @EGS and others.

I have had the same issues will several firmware versions including the latest 1.5. The problem seems to be less frequent with 1.5 though. No issues in the past few weeks.

Formatting in the camera is the equivalent of a quick format in a computer, it resets the file allocation table and tells the device the space can all be reused but in reality the files are still there

Better to do an overwrite format using SDformatter to fix any recoverable errors on the card and completely reset it, format in the camera again after
Thank you. I formatted the card with SD Formatter. Hopefully this will work.

After reformatting the card with SD Formatter, the rear camera did not connect one time so far.

After reformatting the card with SD Formatter, the rear camera did not connect one time so far.
Did you mean, did not fail to connect? Or did not connect at all?

The rear camera did not connect when the system booted. I reseated the rear camera to get it to connect. I was hoping the SD Formatter would fix the issue.

The rear camera did not connect when the system booted. I reseated the rear camera to get it to connect. I was hoping the SD Formatter would fix the issue.
Do you have the eMMC version or the standard?

Standard.

Just to recap, Viofo sent a new rear camera, front camera, and new rear cable. The problem happens with all firmware versions including 1.5. I am using the Viofo suppled front cable and 12 volt plug. I have a SanDisck 256 High Endurance card purchased directly from SanDisk.

I dread the day i will get one of these issues, but so far i have never had any problems with rear cameras in granted other brand cameras, i only have a good half year of experience using / testing Viofo cameras ( A139 )

I did once have a SG camera that somehow painted itself into a corner, but i cant recall how it failed but it did for sure, back then flashing the camera with the same firmware as i was using fixed the problem permanently or at least then next 1-2 years the camera was in use.

Some times it is just utter WTF we get, i have a SG camera that broadcast wifi just fine, but no way in hell can i connect to it with any of 3 Andriod devises, but for the first month or 2 there was no wifi problems.
And i am of course also the only one with that problem, or there would be brimstone and fire in the SG subforum for that model.
And we have not fixed the problem even if me and the SG owner have tried everything we can come up with, and in all other aspects the camera are flawless and so of course still in use.
SG of course also offered me to send me a #2 camera to test, but i refused that as it work otherwise and i can do changes on the LCD and buttons, just have to bring my reading glasses for that.

Back