International YI Car DVR - info

11. After flash we have full International version.

Hello Scorup this is an amazing discovery like discovering the secret to know what women want (they don't even know what they want). I ask you, is the international version with flaws? Does the wifi not work as good as when it had the Chinese firmware? Are there any other problems with international version flashed over Chinese? I can live without wifi. I just unplug the sdcard and put it on a card reader and use me phone to read it 10 times faster oh si, Mon ami

Yes, after this steps you have full International version.

1. Read SN from device

2. In SN replace string CN to US (for example CA21LSCNCA1714F0666A change to CA21LSUSCA1714F0666A)

3. Modified SN write in file SN.txt (in file we write ONLY string with SN)

4. Files SN.txt and engmode put on SD card

5. Turn on device

6. Select 8. Exit

7. From menu select Factory reset

8. After reset SN was changed

9. Format SD card

10. Put on SD card file FWCARC10.bin with US firmware

You mentioned problems with WiFi, what does this involve exactly? Do you have to reboot the dashcam every time you want to enable WiFi?

I'd almost rather stick with Chinese firmware and have the English app at least. If there are going to be hardware issues.

Yes, after this steps you have full International version.

1. Read SN from device

2. In SN replace string CN to US (for example CA21LSCNCA1714F0666A change to CA21LSUSCA1714F0666A)

3. Modified SN write in file SN.txt (in file we write ONLY string with SN)

4. Files SN.txt and engmode put on SD card

5. Turn on device

6. Select 8. Exit

7. From menu select Factory reset

8. After reset SN was changed

9. Format SD card

10. Put on SD card file FWCARC10.bin with US firmware

it didn't work for me :-(
somehow my SN got extra at the end "hq" in lower case - this is in Info menu screen
as result I wasn't able to update fw, when I power on with FWCARC10.bin the yellow LED blinks for 0.1 sec and than stays ON, I waited for 5 min with black screen

I'm not sure what to use "0" zero or "O" in SN, I typed zero
I'm on .012 and US is .004

what else I can try?
thanks

Do You have correct firmware? If his size is 2,9MB , you must unpack them. Its archive file.
You need FWCARC10.bin file with size 8,58MB

@ArmoredCavalry - problem with Wi-Fi appeared only when you turned on device in engmode.
After change SN and firmware to US, you can turn on camera normal and everything its ok :) Wi-Fi work fine and its stable.

Last edited:
Do You have correct firmware? If his size is 2,9MB , you must unpack them. Its archive file.
You need FWCARC10.bin file with size 8,58MB

yes, it worked after downloaded bin was unpacked to 8.58MB size ;-)
http://www.yitechnology.com/firmware_en.php

yes, I was able to connect over w-fi - it took a min or two
in android app my camera SN is shown with extras at the end ...

thanks

So now there are no problems at all with English firmware over Chinese firmware?

I'll test ADAS tomorrow and update how it sounds ;-)
I'm not sure I'll use ADAS much, most likely I'll set to 1080p60 mode

@ArmoredCavalry - problem with Wi-Fi appeared only when you turned on device in engmode.
After change SN and firmware to US, you can turn on camera normal and everything its ok :) Wi-Fi work fine and its stable.

That is awesome to hear, may have to give this a shot later and see how it goes!

You guys are amazing. Time to go make the review instead of waiting on product.

I'll probably make a video as well and credit you guys.

Just a note to people trying this, it looks like you should use the serial number listed under the last menu option (in normal firmware). The exclamation point, when selected shows the full serial number of the device.

There is one written on the outside of the dash cam, but it seems to be a short version, this might cause issues?

Cancel that, see the post below, appears you actually want to use short version.

Edit: Also, for anyone having problems with the final step (flashing new firmware). Make sure you after you format the SD card you first boot it in the camera at least once (without the firmware file). It seems format or setup the card once again (which was overwriting my firmware file). Then, turn off the dash cam, copy the firmware file onto the SD card, connect the camera to power, and turn on. You should get a quick-flashing yellow light at that point (with screen off), which means it is updating.

Seems to be working fine after this! Note: Mine also shows the strange characters in serial number display though, but not sure this affects anything.

Last edited:
The issue of extras characters explained ; )

In file SN.txt just paste the first 14 characters, for example : CA21LSUSCA1604
The rest of SN is probably a unique identifier for each device and added automatically when changing SN.

P.S My correct nickname is scorup

I registered account with damaged keyboard and the letter R in my nick dissapeared ;) So on this forum i am scoup and on others scorup :)

Can confirm once I use the first 14 characters (which are also the ones displayed on sticker on bottom of the cam), then the new serial # displays just fine!

Thanks for the help!

I guess the last question would be, I wonder if firmware upgrades via the App will work correctly? We might have to wait for an update to be released to find out though...

I confirm that ADAS speaks English ;-) with reflash from CN to US
However, I got from ADAS too many "Please, ..." for no reason
I'm not sure that single camera / sensor is enough to tell correct distance

Thanks to scorup !!!

I can't get into this engmode thing... I made a txt file labeled it engmode without the extension and then I put it in my formatted sd card along with the SN.txt and the camera just records like normal... please to help!

For me, the file SN.txt needs to not have the extension .txt and can only access engmode when it was a folder labeled engmode instead of a text file called engmode without extensions.

Finally, unzip FWCARC10.bin and put it in the sdcard but add .bin because it will unzip without that file extension. And after it updates, format the SD card again or else it will keep updating every time it powers up since FWCARC10.bin is still on the card!

Mine arrived via Geekbuying, I have got it set up in the car and the wire tucked around and hidden by the fuse box. I used a cigarette lighter socket and an Add a circuit to wire it in permenently but onto switched live.

Reasonably impressed with the quality. Looking to see if can use the .ash script files the Yi action cam uses to tweak the settings. The .bin files seem different unfortunately.

Lynxblaine please to research for for the future of Yi dashcam advancing!

Back