Is it good idea external powerbank?

Capi

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi,

I am interesting in buy the mini 0803, but... I want the motion detection/parking mode when the car is stopped.

I do not want connect to the battery for avoid problems with the discharge, so, what about an external battery similar powerbank for mobile? I check the Xiaomi with 10.000mAhm, how many time could work the camera in motion detection/parking mode?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Proper motion detection functionality is only on high-end dashcameras based on Supercaps ( capacitors ). They buffer video 24/7 and when motion detected, video file is saved about 10sec before and 30 sec. after ( +/- 5, 10 sec depending on model ).
All other budget and mid-price dashcams have different formula of motion det recording. It takes about 2-3 sec from motion to recording, so you will miss most important action. This applies even for budget fashcams based on supercaps like g1w-c, mobius with supercaps etc.
Also its bad idea to use battery based dashcamps for long parking mode due to risk of battery overheating on the sun or battery failure due to long continuouse run.

Last edited:
Hello,

I tried using a powerbank with a dashcam as external battery but it seems that the "bank" has not enough "power" because the screen is blinking and even when I close it it does not record, but when I plug again the dashcam directly to the car it works.

Is it possible that a powerbank (a big one, 30000 mha) does not provide enough energy to use it on a dashcam ?

And do you know what is the dashcam that is using the minimum energy ?

Thank you for your help.

I cannot make my G1W dashcam work on powerbank, have you found one dashcam that can be used with a powerbank ?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am interesting in buy the mini 0803, but... I want the motion detection/parking mode when the car is stopped.

I do not want connect to the battery for avoid problems with the discharge, so, what about an external battery similar powerbank for mobile? I check the Xiaomi with 10.000mAhm, how many time could work the camera in motion detection/parking mode?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

check your cable, they do work but if the cable has data pins it may not work with some power banks

Are you sure ? I tried with many powerbanks and many cables, so I still think it does not work because of the powerbank amp ?

I cannot make my G1W dashcam work on powerbank, have you found one dashcam that can be used with a powerbank ?

Thanks.
I have 2 G1W-H cams that run fine using a power bank. I would suspect something else is wrong as the camera is only looking for 5V, 1A and doesn't really care where it's coming from.

Back