ITB-100HD - 12 Mbps bitrate mod

Hi Guys,

I'm gonna try the firmware now.

Am I correct? When problems occur, the unit beeps and tells me? If doesn't just sit there not working?

vibeone said:
Hi Guys,

I'm gonna try the firmware now.

Am I correct? When problems occur, the unit beeps and tells me? If doesn't just sit there not working?

Yep. Or at least that's been my experience - though I've been unable to break it again.

Has anyone been able to reproduce the error when the card gets full? Since I've filled my car several times since then, I'm starting to think that my error may have just been a coincidence. I'd hate for dashingthrusnow to put in a lot of extra time and effort fixing a problem that doesn't actually exist :p

Thanks for testing it out... I haven't been able to reproduce. I wonder if it's an sd card failure issue that just requires a format.. Will keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

So I've run it for 12 hours and have 10gig free of a 32gig class 10 card. All seems good, quality much better.

It did beep in an abnormal way when I first booted it after the firmware install. As in: installed on blank card, formatted card, put setup folder back on card, card in camera, turn on.

I had 3 short beeps, then nothing, and it is behaving fine.

I'll let you know if I get any issues, but I'm loving the quality now!

Thanks for testing it.let us know if you have problems... I wonder if I'm just stressing the system by using that high bitrate. If it happens again, may try going down to 10 mbps.

Hi guys, bad news I'm afraid.

Firstly, yesterday morning after the car had been parked all night (near a path, so movement detection would have fired a lot), I came out to the camera beeping.

I powered it down, waited for the 3 beeps, and powered up. Held the mic button in to format the card, and all was well.

I then had a bit of a road trip yesterday, doing around 400 miles and for quite a long time period. Unfortunely 3/4 of the way through the cam again started beeping. I did the same reset process (while driving... Hmm!) and again all was fine (apart from losing data before the reset obviously).

S in my view, its card-full related.

That said, I will be sticking with it for now, as the low bit rate really annoys me! The quality of all videos I've taken, day and night have been exceptionally good.

Happy to test in a live environment if you want to try a different rate, and will try and remember to upload some night footage later.

vibeone said:

Thanks vibeone for testing it out. I really appreciate it. I will keep on looking into a fix then.

What Dashcam (HD or SP?), SD card and capacity are you using?

I'm sure it's a file size thing. There must be a reason why they turned the bitrate down from 7Mbps on the HD to 6 Mbps on the SP to keep the file sizes about the same (24 FPS vs 30 FPS).

I don't think you need to keep testing it... It seems like 100% of the SD card 3 beeps error is related to the SD card being full since the camera is unable to delete the old files.

I bought a 32GB Class 10 card just because I thought my class 6 cards are not fast enough to keep up with the write speed, but that's not the case. I still got 3 beeps with 32GB Class 10.

Yeah.... requires some code hacking. Sucky.

I'm at a loss... I think I've found the appropriate function that checks the disk space in IDA Pro, but I can't figure out how to make modifications to the ARM binary :O I shoulda got the Blackvue... :p

Yakhack! Help!

dashingthrusnow said:
I'm at a loss... I think I've found the appropriate function that checks the disk space in IDA Pro, but I can't figure out how to make modifications to the ARM binary :O I shoulda got the Blackvue... :p

Yakhack! Help!

have you talked to Mio that does the Blackvue firmware, maybe he has some ideas

kay188 said:
I don't think you need to keep testing it... It seems like 100% of the SD card 3 beeps error is related to the SD card being full since the camera is unable to delete the old files.

If that's the case, I don't understand why I haven't run into the error more than once. My card has been pretty much full ever since I did receive the error, and it's been continually deleting/overwriting old files as it should. I would expect that I'd get the error every time the camera went to delete an older file (so every minute, really), but that just hasn't been the case.

I'm not saying that there's not a problem with the bitrate mod and overwriting old files; it just seems to be a bit more complicated.

codesplice said:
I'm not saying that there's not a problem with the bitrate mod and overwriting old files; it just seems to be a bit more complicated.

That's super reassuring. I'm running the 12 Mbps mod on my 32 GB card... we'll see what happens.

Oh, the quality is much better from the 7 Mbps to 12 mbps. There's macroblocking in the lower bitrate version... I'll try and post some A+B comparison videos. My second SP camera should arrive this week...

You mentioned you found the code for the size restriction in the binary.. Can you share that code snippet out?

yakpimp said:
You mentioned you found the code for the size restriction in the binary.. Can you share that code snippet out?

I'll put the screen shot from IDA tonight... I think it's the right area.

I am learning a ton of assembly... :)

dashingthrusnow said:
vibeone said:

Thanks vibeone for testing it out. I really appreciate it. I will keep on looking into a fix then.

What Dashcam (HD or SP?), SD card and capacity are you using?

I'm sure it's a file size thing. There must be a reason why they turned the bitrate down from 7Mbps on the HD to 6 Mbps on the SP to keep the file sizes about the same (24 FPS vs 30 FPS).

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I have a ITB-100HD, with a sandisk ultra/extreme/whatever class 10 32gb card.

I continue to test because I'm happy to format the card when the camera beeps - so I don't mind at all. The quality is much better in my opinion.

Here are some samples with the mod installed...

Night:

Motorway Day:

Local Roads Day:

Note you'll need to click through to youtube to enable 1080p mode (I think?). Taken on a ford focus, with a heated front screen which doesn't seem to have any major affect, but can't help the quality!

Last edited by a moderator:
And for comparison, heres an older video I uploaded to youtube ages ago...

***NOT 12MBPS***
***NOT 12MBPS***

Last edited by a moderator:
Patiently waiting for the SP bitrate mod....

from my iP5 via Tapa 2

Back