ITB-100HD - 12 Mbps bitrate mod

SP bitrate mod is in the firmware thread...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

vibeone said:
And for comparison, heres an older video I uploaded to youtube ages ago...

Notice an improvement in quality? I thought I did.. things look sharper with higher bitrate with less macroblocking!

dashingthrusnow said:
SP bitrate mod is in the firmware thread...

Don't know how I missed that, but I sure did. Anyways loaded the SP firmware onto my cam and without a doubt there is an improvement all across the board so far. The real test will be on a Sunny day and driving on a street lined with or have overhanging trees. The rapid distortion of the the Sun shining through is what causes severe macro blocking for me, if this firm tweak reduces the impact that will be great!

Many props for giving us better vid quality for us ITB-100HD / SP users!

dashingthrusnow said:
vibeone said:
And for comparison, heres an older video I uploaded to youtube ages ago...

Notice an improvement in quality? I thought I did.. things look sharper with higher bitrate with less macroblocking!

Definitely. Although I did pick a 'bright' video for the 'before' shot, because I thought that was the best quality, but turns out it might have not been!

I can see the difference though. Very happy.

wow, i'm only out for a few weeks and suddenly this great news about quality improvement!!! :)
i'll start testing/using as soon as the "need to format the card when it's full' issue is fixed.

just want to encourage you to continue and I'm very excited about this!

Thank you GOD. FInally a firmware mod :)

As far as I've read, you've put quite a bit of work into this, risking to damage your own camera.

I thank you for this.

I met with a problem.
I downloaded the modified firmware and tried to update, i heard the beep but after that, it stopped working.
The red led is lighted up but there no more beep, i try to reset the firmware back to 2.1 and it does not help.

Anyone facing the same problem as me and have some resolution to it ?

:cry: :cry:

ransoma22 said:
I met with a problem.
I downloaded the modified firmware and tried to update, i heard the beep but after that, it stopped working.
The red led is lighted up but there no more beep, i try to reset the firmware back to 2.1 and it does not help.

Anyone facing the same problem as me and have some resolution to it ?

:cry: :cry:

Yikes! That doesn't sound good. Just to confirm, you flashed the firmware file posted by dashingthrusnow at the start of this thread, onto your ITB-100HD (not an SP or any other variant), right?

ransoma22 said:

Don't know what to say. I've flashed my unit over 30 times -- even with really bad hacked up firmware -- and have always been able to flash back to the original.

Maybe format SD card (or use a new SD card) and try again?

I downloaded from this link
http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/itb-100hd/itb100hdfw.bin

after the rapidshare link is dead.

What I could narrow down , which i am not too sure, could be i accidentally use a spare CLASS 2 *instead of the CLASS 10* SD card to flash it

Now i am trying all means to reflash back to original firmware.
Did re-formatting the SD card, press and hold ON/OFF MIC also does not work ..

Perhaps it time to rest this Itronics and buy a new one :cry: :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I can think of is that the sd card went bad when flashing and corrupted the flash. I'd try again with a nicely formatted class 10 sd card. If it doesn't work...device is probably dead.

ransoma22 said:
I downloaded from this link
http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/itb-100hd/itb100hdfw.bin

after the rapidshare link is dead.

What I could narrow down , which i am not too sure, could be i accidentally use a spare CLASS 2 *instead of the CLASS 10* SD card to flash it

Now i am trying all means to reflash back to original firmware.
Did re-formatting the SD card, press and hold ON/OFF MIC also does not work ..

Perhaps it time to rest this Itronics and buy a new one :cry: :cry:

a lot better cams on market than Itronics , you sure going do that ?
recommend you search better before get another it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ITB-100HD SP with the 12mbps firmware has been looping videos for about a 1½ days now with no issues. I'm using a Transcend 32mb Class 10 formatted with 64kb clusters if that makes a difference.

mrkookm said:
My ITB-100HD SP with the 12mbps firmware has been looping videos for about a 1½ days now with no issues. I'm using a Transcend 32mb Class 10 formatted with 64kb clusters if that makes a difference.

Same goes with mine. I think the SP is fine... When I checked, the SP will always make sure that over 120 MB are free on the SD card. Go figure. The HD seems to be only half that.

Not had a chance to properly mount my SP yet.. will get on the case sooner now that I know the SP doesn't beep when full :oops:
Will let you know if I run into any trouble..

Thanks for the amazing mod!
I'm using the 100HD, and I also notice the problem of the device not deleting old files (I'm using an 8 GB SD card). Is there a fix for that?

Thanks,

Jason

liujason said:
I'm using the 100HD, and I also notice the problem of the device not deleting old files (I'm using an 8 GB SD card). Is there a fix for that?

No... I gave up on it. I am running SP and it doesn't seem to suffer this problem. I may come back to it sometime.

Another discovery - the mod is working overwriting the old files if it is powered all the time. However, once powered off, and power on, it will *beep beep beep*, complaining about the SD card. Only way to fix this at the time is to unplug the power, re-plug the power, wait for the ascending three beeps, and hold down the mic button for about 5 seconds to format the card.
So it seems the device complaint of the SD card problem only happens when the device is booted.

liujason said:
Another discovery - the mod is working overwriting the old files if it is powered all the time. However, once powered off, and power on, it will *beep beep beep*, complaining about the SD card. Only way to fix this at the time is to unplug the power, re-plug the power, wait for the ascending three beeps, and hold down the mic button for about 5 seconds to format the card.
So it seems the device complaint of the SD card problem only happens when the device is booted.

Not quite. Both times that I've received the SD error were in the middle of a drive. The first time, a power cycle got things going again and I didn't have to format the card. The second time, I just removed the card, deleted a few files via the computer, and when I plugged it back up it kept right on trucking. No errors since then.

Back