Kamkar1 footage.

Hey @lacibaci

Could you give me the precise minute and seconds that is happening as I can't see it?

The IQ is still being improved and we're going to probably boost the bitrates even further as temperatures are holding nicely.

These blocks should be solved though I still don't see it on the second picture or video at all?

Cheers,

Dan

What I see is almost as if the codec was favoring center of the image with higher bit rate. All snapshots exhibit this. Here is what I was doing:
Viewing raw footage with VLC (on Linux), pause and use built in command "Take a snapshot" Then I view the snapshot at 100% zoom.
Example: daydrive.mov (2:04)
czjThKeP0SKy3jHYahK-fJSlCMhiXFbytJeBWRw78YawyhqlNx2mIEOwC6tsje4Fx0BR8NjjXAvfu6snywtzzF0ynHIN25iRJSL8vmGybB8GOWi_Y-TmLX_AZRXgsnLHmsVHq1kv-2X9HIouZTciYN24kyVcSRAUpfNVgzjtpAnNIs2KDPjHNVrWVnLG75hyyMnoipsD7s3JIfPRLUqOTgo0aUvykX_3Si5nFhQKK2d4ROuO7-tJ_Z1mG84qNhfAcqPC_3iCGH3cNd6APItUw1674r5UDGT0vsoVgKbFQqhySmQpgyFxXLhmyqHX0vfwSWZ28EpEquYZpvrjGencfgCdy4Imo8guD0Yu-X59CeApcdGDu7OVVFclGp1ZD1H6qgnRCkjIrdlFQ3GEC0VH5tmfVK0xTOGnnwiL-Md_iNh1CV4LX1i4Tlzmqi0KjcujyCfnbLbCBndDJ9zcWibGOKc48GtqNZCxIL9OJCHMi0mTsW8_gOfj80Tw6U28wWj2yizcPyPCBf6u03ANl23MYckNCbnrEmJoDfWD9g=w1203-h677-no

Maybe a higher frame rate would also help. I also have nothing to compare to - so maybe this is as good as it gets.

I can't replicate this @lacibaci at all, just tried this...I'll try other videos and see what happens. I only have access to windows and mac.

Thank you for pointing this out though.

Maybe it's just a Linux thing. Also 60fps may improve image, especially at higher speeds. Can we have some raw samples @60fps?

What I see is almost as if the codec was favoring center of the image with higher bit rate. All snapshots exhibit this. Here is what I was doing:
This is normal when you drive fast on the road where trees are close, this is because of wide angle lens, objects on the edges moves faster than objects in the center.
And darkness makes this phenomenon even stronger because camera uses longer shutter speed.

1080/60 will be my next setting, though its allso that i have used most of the time with the X cam
Tomorrow i go for a drive with both my 1:1 car and the little RC trucks.

The blurred white car in the pic above is pretty normal i think, dashcams really start to struggle as soon as the light drop just a little, i see this as the outright biggest challenge for future dashcams.
Tomorrow i will see if i can get a pic of the same situation but from my main SG front camera ( that is on beta firmware, but i think its still worth to compare )

I have allso tilted my X camera mount a little more down, to force it to focus on the darker parts of the footage, untill now i had more or less a 50/50 split, and thats not optimal for most dashcams as i undestand it.

Been looking close, and i do see pixilation/blocking when in hard situations, i grabbed this 2 frames off some footage, they are 2 frames in row.

First one, dont look so bad, areas i focus on is to the left of the 70 sign on the left side of the footage, compare that to the following frame.

xpixie1.jpg

xpixie2.jpg

Same place SG9665GC capture ( beta FW )
SGpixie1.jpg

Pic #2 see high blocking in the trees to the left and allso on the road surface, most on the left side where the sun reflect in the tarmac.

Allso grabbed a pic of the white car, grabbed video freme using registrator viewer as i allso did with the other pictures.

whitecarxcam.jpg

Same time SG9665GC ( beta FW ) capture.
Sgwhitecar.jpg

Allso grabbed a frame of the footage with the dog, will agree it dont look optimal.
fiexcam.jpg

Last edited:
I have just edited my post above, inserted some pics grabbed of SG camera at the same time.
SG camera is running beta firmware ( V10 - september 6 )

Pics appear a little different due to the lenses of the cameras, did my best to make sure the pic was grabbed in the same place / distance.

Got some new footage from today i will UL now, captured in 1080/60 on the X cam and 1080/30 on the SG camera.
I have no means to edit the 2 steams together so i will just provide the YT and raw footage for DL.

I think consensus is the V10 SG beta driver is not somthing that will be released to the masses, the SG labs is a hive of activety to bring only the best to the ppl :cool:
BUT ! the X cam is allso on beta firmware, and the joovuue labs is allso going at full tilt :cool:

I have just edited my post above, inserted some pics grabbed of SG camera at the same time.
SG camera is running beta firmware ( V10 - september 6 )

Pics appear a little different due to the lenses of the cameras, did my best to make sure the pic was grabbed in the same place / distance.

Got some new footage from today i will UL now, captured in 1080/60 on the X cam and 1080/30 on the SG camera.
I have no means to edit the 2 steams together so i will just provide the YT and raw footage for DL.

I think consensus is the V10 SG beta driver is not somthing that will be released to the masses, the SG labs is a hive of activety to bring only the best to the ppl :cool:
BUT ! the X cam is allso on beta firmware, and the joovuue labs is allso going at full tilt :cool:

Thank you - exactly what I was looking for. If you have time, would you post a couple of shots at night?

about to start uploading 1 X 3 min daytime ( x and SG camera ) and 1 X 3 min nighttime in the suburbs of Aarhus Denmark, and we dont pimp out towns with light around here, so pretty low light.

Saving total dark backroad night footage for later, am pretty tired atm so it might have to wait untill tomorrow.

Sadly Mega wont let me UL with the 5-6 MB/s i can, i get 1 MB/s if i am lucky, youtube is a whole other matter, i think i UL full speed to them.

Dont worry this is just the top of the iceberg of uploads from me, there will be a lot comming in the days to come now that i finally have allmost full control of the camera.

Last edited:
Okay here is a little more from my windscreen.
Do remember the SG camera is on a beta FW and so it is actually better than what you see here, SG is working on several aspects of ther FW to provide you with the best possible solution. ( this beta firmware will not make the cut )
The X cam is not even for sale yet, we will do all we can to make it as good we can before it hit the store shelves, and after that there will be FW and all manners of support too.

WDR is on in both cameras.

X cam in the forrest at Hinnerup, daytime footage. 1080/60
https://mega.nz/#!LoZU1KCA!LnJutkPxuQ0Oj846ciLMqAgxxcyy2DNq9kR5dXPL7Gk

Same on the SG9665GC. 1080/30
https://mega.nz/#!L4o0UAZZ!GmmnVJT9Y2LO4lggJmqB7jZrz2NzokE6GBznhwsVCSU

X cam in the western suburbs of Aarhus, night footage, low ambient light. 1080/60
https://mega.nz/#!H0gDAYoL!1Obj8avzzhcYX-rdJn4U7thS15CslYmNo88xd4feuUw

Same spot on SG9665GC. 1080/30
https://mega.nz/#!bwBR2IZa!Vi8ZsBXPEAexUqPI_c6M4wPTqVmvhJLh7f7b15MzrGc

Last edited:
Ok, so I've been staring at these for a while and I have to say I like JooVuu X day footage better than SG. It seems more sharp and vibrant. Although this could be caused by significant window reflections on SG.
The night footage is better on SG. (Setting +1 EV on JooVuu X could get close)
Can we have JooVuu X with Sony sensor? :)

Okay a little coffee and i am back on top, so here is some footage in a real dark place,
Its the same forrest i passed thru in the daytime footage, this time i am just on my way home.

X cam still running 1080/60.
https://mega.nz/#!q0wQwKTD!960_PArVM6wwPBAD7dsPoo-nVrSPqgVvyL1xbGVSkaY

Same spot recorded on the SG9665GC.
https://mega.nz/#!2wICFJYJ!56zE2ze5kd_srWbTKid04-iDCfoAvhOGLpAITJFYPf0

As i see it the SG hold the upper hand in night performance, but if my memory serve me right thats allso on the joovuu to do list

And to finish off a little sillyness, dashcamming in ankle high 4x4 truck.
Recorded in 1080/60 and then slowed down 50% using registrator viewer.

Last edited:
Yeah sharpness is off on this Beta SG firmware, thats one thing that whent a little off in the work to fix and implement other things in the SG firmware.

The SG folkes have 5-6 balls in the air in regard to ther firmware as i recall it, if i reverted back to the firmware that ship with the SG9665GC cameras the footage will be more crisp.

I am trying to get my hands on somthing black i can trow on top of my dashbord to cut back on reflections.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Footage is looking great. Just to re-iterate what Kam has said, both cameras are using BETA software so please take results with a pinch of salt.

We're still working on the footage and will be releasing a firmware later this week which has better night vision. We'll also hopefully be releasing the updated firmware with higher bitrates again so should bring out more detail, the only problem is the higher the bitrates the laggier the live streaming so we're working around that.

Cheers,

Dan

V10
And as i recall the fix for the less than optimal IQ in beta firmware have not been implimented yet, but as i recall hearing that should be a fairly easy fix.

Anyway a limpy SG camera is still a force to be reckoned with :)

Last edited:
The faster you are going, the more important a higher frame rate (e.g. 30 -> 60 fps) supposedly has on the image quality compared to a higher image resolution. (e.g. 1080p -> 1296p). This is important for capturing license plates when the vehicle (either yours or the other driver) is moving at speed.

If I had to choose, I'd definitely drop the resolution down from 1296p to 1080p and opt for higher fps @ 60 fps.

Sadly the Marcus 4 which I purchased (and which has not arrived annoyingly) can only do 30 fps at 1080p and 1296p. Only at 720p can it do 60 fps.

That's one selling point of the JooVuu. By the way where does this name JooVuu come from and what does it mean? JooVuu sounds like some Jewish conspiracy to take over the world. Is it a dashcam made only for the illuminati

The faster you are going, the more important a higher frame rate (e.g. 30 -> 60 fps) supposedly has on the image quality compared to a higher image resolution. (e.g. 1080p -> 1296p). This is important for capturing license plates when the vehicle (either yours or the other driver) is moving at speed.

If I had to choose, I'd definitely drop the resolution down from 1296p to 1080p and opt for higher fps @ 60 fps.

Sadly the Marcus 4 which I purchased (and which has not arrived annoyingly) can only do 30 fps at 1080p and 1296p. Only at 720p can it do 60 fps.

That's one selling point of the JooVuu. By the way where does this name JooVuu come from and what does it mean? JooVuu sounds like some Jewish conspiracy to take over the world. Is it a dashcam made only for the illuminati

The 60fps is very good but the 2.5k resolution is not something to be diminished either. I actually prefer 60fps during the day and on timed mode it automatically switches from 7pm to 8am to 2.5k 30fps. Makes life easy.

JooVuu (pronounced: JooVoo) is a completely made up name when I was hung over. I'll get a blog post up on it soon.

Cheers,

Dan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Street Guardian USA JooVuu 30
JooVuu JooVuu 6
kamkar JooVuu 253
Back