Kamkar1 footage.

It took me some time to notice that those artefacts on the road just behind your car is coming from youtube video processing.
Good video, i feel my g90 is starting to giving up it's natural life and maybe it's time to get X rated video feed.

It took me some time to notice that those artefacts on the road just behind your car is coming from youtube video processing.
Good video, i feel my g90 is starting to giving up it's natural life and maybe it's time to get X rated video feed.

My friends keep making so many 'X' rated jokes about the X but that one is a new one hahaha!

I did a little experiment today, or rather did the last work on a drive i had on Sunday.
The ? is.

How many licenceplates can a joovuu x camera installed in the rear of a car capture, while the car is driven thru a rain shower.
Settings in play.
1080 / 60 FPS
60 degree FOV
My car speed 80 km/h
Speed on oncomming cars allso 80 km/h ( at least )
Rain, not that strong, but it was raining allright.
Time of capture 13:07 january 31

Offcourse all licenceplates are verified up against a Danish database of licenceplates.
Plates captured with registrator viewer, using the 1 frame at the time advance, so it took a while :D allso every single plate was not like reading the paper, a fjew of them i had to try a fjew times before i got a make/ model of car in the datbase that corrospond with what i saw in my footage.

"RAW" edited file ( windows movie maker ) only adding the text in WMM
https://mega.nz/#!GtQghYyS!FJhmWoT5swNG7AR4RClv2Uh4ULZHLperzEGlCdfB31g

Last edited:
Yeah, i think the camera did allright, i even think if i had my rear viper at speed #2 i might have gotten them all, the ones i missed out on i gave 5-6-7 tries in the database, and when other came up i deemed them a miss.

Been wondering if a little spoiler on my rear can keep the vertical window a little less prome to get rain on it.

No doubt if i look at any of my 2 front cameras i will capture less plates due to the ammount of rain hitting my windscreen.

Offcourse all licenceplates are verified up against a Danish database of licenceplates.
Plates captured with registrator viewer,
I believe in a couple of years you have collected and verified all car plates in denmark:cool:

Sure if i win the lottery, otherwise i cant afford to drive that much, ATM i think i do like 100 km MAX every week.

But i like to drive, all it take is free time and money for gasoline, so in that regard i would prefer a lotto win :D

.....ATM i think i do like 100 km MAX every week.......

My car averages about 400km per week; mostly out of town.
My wife's averages about 150km; mostly in town.
Our family car averages about 150km per week; a mixture of road types.

On the subject of capturing number/licence plates, yes, the X seems to be above average.
On 2560 x 1080p the field of view is wider than almost any other cam, yet the apparent size of objects (the effective magnification) is relatively large.

There's an interesting nigh-time screenshot at the end of this post, probably originally posted on the JooVuu X forums. It may be necessary to click on it to enlarge it so the number plate can be adequately seen.
Top is the X-cam, lower left is a Mio 538 (ARO330 sensor), lower right is a Cobra 840 which, due to its very narrow angle and 'zoomed in' image, was previously the best I had found for grabbing plates, albeit at the expense of lack of peripheral vision.
But in the pic below the X outperforms it.

-

I just did the same test but in a lot more light, but worst thing is, i am not able to read any licenceplates, or at least no way near as many as in my first test.

The reason is there is blocking in the footage in a much higher degree compared to the recordings in rain. :eek:

The settings are the same, will try again tomorrow but using 1080 / 30 - HDR

Okay i have got conflicting results on my drive today, so lucky i drove the same route 2 times :D

This time i have zoomed in a little in registrator viewer and then grapped a pic for you guys, så here is in pictures what i captured in 3 minutes.
Same setings as in the test in the rain,
1080_60fpsa.jpg

1080_60fpsb.jpg

1080_60fpsc.jpg

1080_60fpsd.jpg

1080_60fpse.jpg

1080_60fpsf.jpg

1080_60fpsg.jpg

1080_60fpsh.jpg

1080_60fpsi.jpg

1080_60fpsj.jpg

1080_60fpsk.jpg

1080_60fpsl.jpg

1080_60fpsm.jpg

1080_60fpsn.jpg

1080_60fpso.jpg

1080_60fpsp.jpg

1080_60fpspq.jpg

1080_60fpspr.jpg

1080_60fpsps.jpg

1080_60fpspt.jpg

more pics to come

Last edited:
@kamkar1
I downloaded your rain drive and whatched it frame by frame. It seems that h264 setting is set to keyframe (gop) every 4 frames, which leads in your example clip to 1 frame with a pretty sharp picture and 3 frames with areas that are a bit washed out. The speed difference from the cars driving in the other direction is quiet high, so that maybe you have only one frame to catch the numberplate and if that frame is not one of the keyframes but the inbetween, you probably not able the read the licenseplate. To avoid that, you need a higher datarate and no keyframes (or set to every frame). I don't know if that is possible. Also for other usage it would be a nice option ;-)

I just did the same test but in a lot more light, but worst thing is, i am not able to read any licenceplates, or at least no way near as many as in my first test.

The reason is there is blocking in the footage in a much higher degree compared to the recordings in rain. :eek:

The settings are the same, will try again tomorrow but using 1080 / 30 - HDR

you never get perfect results under every situation, overall though it's doing a good job

Hi @Broekie i am not all into the x cameras way of working, during testing we did try a higher bitrate ( 25 mbit i think it was ) anyway that dident seem to make footage any better than the current 18 mbit it have in high setting.
I will ask the ppl making the camera what they think if they dont see your post here.

I should allso mention the camera i use in the back is the #1 test sample i got from joovuu, maybe that have a little to say too, but it is on the latest firmware.

And welcome to the forum.

you never get perfect results under every situation, overall though it's doing a good job

True M8 but i was expecting sunshine or at least a lot more light than on my rain drive would result in capture of every single licenceplate.
Okay it allso did in my photos above, but the #1 run on the same highway as in the rain was horrible so i gave up after i missed 5 out of the first 6 plates rushing by.
When looking at raw footage of those 3 minutes it is as if the camera choke on the data at times and trow up a little blocking, but its hard to tell if thats due to changes of things in the footage, or the camera do it to "clear its throat once in a while"

I also have no clue how the camera compressing process is. Wenn I compress clips myself I also have to find the balance between filesize and quality. Of course the computer doesn't render the image in realtime. That's probably where difficulty lies, because 25 MBit can give you a pretty detailed image.

Thanx I'm not al that new to forum. I was, till now, just reading a lot. And the Joovuu X seems pretty compelling to.

I just found out os a way to test camera on a closed loop with the 100% same in the footage all the time ( loop of G scale train track and then set it up in a place where nothing change as it run around and around )

That way i could see if the blocking is worst when some things are in the frame Vs other time on the loop, and i would be able to test all the bitrates and other image settings against each other.
Would have to do that test in a parking garage at night, to have a steady allways the same ammount of light in the test, cuz this would be taking a while to test even if you just do 3 minutes for each setting.

My Sg9665GC feel a little uneasy :p flanked on both sides by the "enemy" and it can't go forward due to unknow invisible force field, and retreat is not a option if i know the Street Guardian ppl.

WP_20160208_006.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Street Guardian USA JooVuu 30
JooVuu JooVuu 6
kamkar JooVuu 253
Back