Lets help these guys build a wearable dashcam!

LisaM

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys,

I've backed this project on Kickstarter called meMINI, and they've just announced a bunch of cool dash cam features, thought you might all be interested. Basically its a wearable camera that also works as a dash cam. The best thing is a wireless link that using two of them you can cover both front and rear for near 360 degree coverage.

I bought one for me catching moments with my kids, and I really want them to reach the stretch goal where they make it slimmer!

Project page is here - http://bit.ly/1lLIaZw

Leece

I don't see it being too great as a dashcam, as a wearable though it has some smart ideas about it, the bluetooth link to a second camera is a nice feature also

I don't see it being too great as a dashcam, as a wearable though it has some smart ideas about it, the bluetooth link to a second camera is a nice feature also

Why do you think that jokiin?

I like the fact that it has WiFi and that I can use one camera for keeping me safe in the car, then just take it out and wear it when I get to where I'm going! My husband has a dashcam in his car and it doesn't have a battery so it's really only good when it's plugged in which is such a pain!

Lisa are you associated with the camera or know the developers?

This all sounds very familiar. In fact, in December Ambarella announced just such a wearable WiFi/Bluetooth camera it is developing in cooperation with Google. They've apparently been working on this quite awhile. It is too early to tell if this is really a new product category or a possible "fad" device that goes beyond the "action cam" but in a few years tiny cameras will probably be everywhere.

Here's Ambarella's press release.

And here's a link to the page the following screen capture came from.

wearable.jpg

Last edited:
the biggest challenge with wearable cameras as I see it is with movement, keeping the shake and judder out can be done to some extent with image stabilization but that does soften the picture a little, even if you overcome that though you're generally moving about all over the place so it can be a bit motion sickness inducing to watch, they might have a place but they're not ideal for all situations, they do have some interesting ideas with this one though and good to see some innovative thinking and not just a 'me too' product

You are quite right about camera movement. I've been experimenting lately with a Mobius, just walking around in public with it running. Any footage shot while walking and holding it as steady as I can is still really rather useless.

the biggest challenge with wearable cameras as I see it is with movement, keeping the shake and judder out can be done to some extent with image stabilization but that does soften the picture a little, even if you overcome that though you're generally moving about all over the place so it can be a bit motion sickness inducing to watch, they might have a place but they're not ideal for all situations, they do have some interesting ideas with this one though and good to see some innovative thinking and not just a 'me too' product
I would imagine framing would be an issue as well. In the video link the woman at the playground would not have filmed much good clear footage.
I have learned that some of the best footage is to have a stationary camera on the side, as if you were there watching.

The product brief (pdf) from Ambarella is interesting, especially in regards to motion blur. jokiin, do you know what MCTF means?

I wonder if this Ambarella solution is indeed what the meMINI is based on?

• 3D MCTF noise reduction for clean video with minimal
motion blur

Advanced 3D electronic image stabilization and horizon
correction

Horizon tilt correction

Many advanced spatial noise reduction filters

High Dynamic Range (HDR) capture and processing

Dewarping support for small factor, wide angle lenses

Last edited:
Interesting project, but I am wondering if perverts and peeping toms may abuse them?

not sure about MCTF, not something we have in the car camera products, not sure what solution they use as there's not really enough info to be able to work it out

So called all-in-one type recording products are no good for long time use and no match to purpose built dash camera for "us" ( dashcam users ). The issue is battery. In some stage it will get weaker and die and fail to record accident at that very important moment you need it.
The only so called all-in-one "universal" action camera that can be fully welcome for us, is Mobius. Due to developer started listening to us and offering now capacitor based version. Also @Isoprop made corrections in FW for capacitors to be used in this action-camera along with many other interesting features that are usefull for us ( dashcam users ).
I would rather support / backup Mobius new project ( if they think to go in that direction ) based on A7LA series + maybe wifi / bluetooth / LCD screen etc., but of course it will be build from scratch. However seeing how hard that small team work and what result they give us for such a short time, I believe in Mobius they could produce a promising result.

not sure about MCTF, not something we have in the car camera products, not sure what solution they use as there's not really enough info to be able to work it out

Well, I've been able to at least find out what the acronym MCTF stands for - motion-compensated temporal filtering which gives us a clue that it has to do with exposure timing. Apparently, a new specification is already in the works for Ambarella's new A9 chip with "improved" MCTF and advanced sharpening.In any event, some of these A7LW features seem like they could be very appealing for dash camera use, like horizon tilt correction, motion blur reduction and lens dewarping.

Front rear synced over Bluetooth:

Back