Looking For A Good WiFi Enabled Dashcam

rayj00

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the initial phases of developing an app that involves a WIFI enabled dashcam.
I'd like to find a dashcam that supports

• HD and the h.264 and (wish list: v8 codec)
  • It should do at least 30fps.
  • A built in microphone is a must also.
  • It should be able to store a decent amount of video. What's decent now a days?
  • Battery supported is also a good thing but not required as long as it is powered by the car.
  • Good area video coverage
  • Some sort of feature to smooth out rough rides and steady the video?
  • Overall video/audio quality should be good to awesome.
  • Price should be reasonable.
I've never owned a dashcam, so pardon my requirements. I realize a lot of them are probably supported by default. Also, perhaps you could list my requirements that would be common to all dashcams?

And is there a source I can research to see what is new or planned in dashcams for 2016 and beyond?

I appreciate your recommendations.

Ray

Welcome to forum !

Transcend DP200 should cover most of your needs what you have listed.

Thanks, but their "Best Dashcam" does not support WIFI, my #1 requirement.

Why you think it does "not?" Support WiFi?

I am in the initial phases of developing an app that involves a WIFI enabled dashcam.

I've never owned a dashcam, so pardon my requirements. I realize a lot of them are probably supported by default. Also, perhaps you could list my requirements that would be common to all dashcams?

Ray

I'm very curious to know the motivation for someone who has never owned a dash cam and seems to not know much about them to be developing an app that provides this functionality.

I dont know any wifi dashcam ( other than DP200 ) which would has huge positive feedback on realibility and which would be within listed requirements:
  • Overall video/audio quality should be good to awesome.
  • Price should be reasonable.
The only big drawback of DP200 to me personally is form-factor ( design ).

T
I'm very curious to know the motivation for someone who has never owned a dash cam and seems to not know much about them to be developing an app that provides this functionality.
The app is something that is already available for use on a home webcam. I would just be implementing it for
use while traveling.

T

The app is something that is already available for use on a home webcam. I would just be implementing it for
use while traveling.
Interesting idea.

You are avare that there is a masive lag on the wifi signal ?

At least thats the case with my X cam, but i think its the same with all other dash or action cameras with wifi.

use while traveling.

I see, thank you.

Virtually all wifi enabled dash cams come with their own proprietary apps for this. I'm not even sure if a universal wifi app could work on such cams and if they did, I would think you would need to provide some sort of unique, compelling functionality that a camera owner doesn't already have for your proposed app to have any marketability.

As @kamkar1 points out, bandwidth is a major bottleneck f0r a dash cam, especially when compared to webcams and desktop applications. I guess, this was one reason for questioning why someone with no dash cam experience would want to develop for the platform.

In any event, I'd very very curious to know more specifics about what you have in mind and I wish you luck with this endeavor.

You are avare that there is a masive lag on the wifi signal ?

At least thats the case with my X cam, but i think its the same with all other dash or action cameras with wifi.

Wouldn't say the lag on my BV 650GW is massive when I view the live footage through the cloud app.....(when being the key word as it's still a huge PITA to get working!)

Well assuming 1/2 seconds doesn't constitute as 'massive lag' anyway...?

I have run some tests using one of my tablets and it's camera while on the road. The results were very acceptable. The WiFi is actually not that much of an issue as the connection was from the tablet to a wifi hotspot (my cell phone) which was not be more than 3 feet apart. From there it's up to 4G to deliver.

I have run some tests using one of my tablets and it's camera while on the road. The results were very acceptable. The WiFi is actually not that much of an issue as the connection was from the tablet to a wifi hotspot (my cell phone) which was not be more than 3 feet apart. From there it's up to 4G to deliver.

I see what you have in mind. I'm not much of an expert in this but I believe the functionality with dash cam wifi is rather different than what you are talking about with a tablet as I believe it requires access to the dash cam chip maker's SDK.
Perhaps someone with actual knowledge and experience with these things such as @JooVuu could offer a comment?

Last edited:
I see, thank you.

Virtually all wifi enabled dash cams come with their own proprietary apps for this. I'm not even sure if a universal wifi app could work on such cams and if they did, I would think you would need to provide some sort of unique, compelling functionality that a camera owner doesn't already have for your proposed app to have any marketability.

As @kamkar1 points out, bandwidth is a major bottleneck f0r a dash cam, especially when compared to webcams and desktop applications. I guess, this was one reason for questioning why someone with no dash cam experience would want to develop for the platform.

In any event, I'd very very curious to know more specifics about what you have in mind and I wish you luck with this endeavor.

Nova/Ambarella/SunPlus/Anytek etc will not give their APIs up for free. You'll need to pay about 20,000usd or more for the APIs - but even worse than that, unless you have a working product with sales and a track record developing a similar product they won't give you them at all.

Even if you have unlimited 4G your signal will vary massively as you move depending on where you are, speed, height, and what objects are around you, so a 180mb file uploading (one of the smaller sized files) could take anywhere from 30mins to 4 hours or more.

WiFi is another problem - most cameras (joovuu x included) have a small basic wifi chip that transmits and receives small data. Transmitting a 180mbs video files via WiFi if moving will be horrendous - when stationary you may have more luck. We've developing a similar function and trust me - it's not easy - the principle is easy but the implementation and feasibility is now.

The best thing to do personally would be to start with an app that uses the phones/tablets camera as a car camera (there's a lot available so can give you some good ideas).

If you want a bit more detail - creating a specific app for our camera has taken about 7 months of solid development - and that's with 12 people testing it daily. That's also on our own APIs not worrying about other cameras.

Just some friendly advice - really think about this, really think what you will be bringing to the market, transfer a 180mb file from your phone to your computer via wifi whilst moving around (just walking) and do the same over 4G. If you want more help I can provide you some guidance (we won't give out any APIs or code etc) but I genuinely do not think you realise how big a task you will be undertaking.

Cheers,

PS
Buy a WiFi camera (maybe Xiaomi?) and 'hack it' and build an app that way - that will give you a taste.

Nova/Ambarella/SunPlus/Anytek etc will not give their APIs up for free. You'll need to pay about 20,000usd or more for the APIs - but even worse than that, unless you have a working product with sales and a track record developing a similar product they won't give you them at all.

Even if you have unlimited 4G your signal will vary massively as you move depending on where you are, speed, height, and what objects are around you, so a 180mb file uploading (one of the smaller sized files) could take anywhere from 30mins to 4 hours or more.

WiFi is another problem - most cameras (joovuu x included) have a small basic wifi chip that transmits and receives small data. Transmitting a 180mbs video files via WiFi if moving will be horrendous - when stationary you may have more luck. We've developing a similar function and trust me - it's not easy - the principle is easy but the implementation and feasibility is now.

The best thing to do personally would be to start with an app that uses the phones/tablets camera as a car camera (there's a lot available so can give you some good ideas).

If you want a bit more detail - creating a specific app for our camera has taken about 7 months of solid development - and that's with 12 people testing it daily. That's also on our own APIs not worrying about other cameras.

Just some friendly advice - really think about this, really think what you will be bringing to the market, transfer a 180mb file from your phone to your computer via wifi whilst moving around (just walking) and do the same over 4G. If you want more help I can provide you some guidance (we won't give out any APIs or code etc) but I genuinely do not think you realise how big a task you will be undertaking.

Cheers,

PS
Buy a WiFi camera (maybe Xiaomi?) and 'hack it' and build an app that way - that will give you a taste.

Wow. I appreciate the advice. First off, I am very green when it comes to video camera internals and architecture.
Maybe I underestimated the effort a little...:)

Anyway I have been dabbling in WebRTC lately and thought hey, if I can use my Webcam at home to send video over the internet without using any plugins or installing any downloads (besides the webcam software), why not a dash cam?

Back