Looking for time-lapse (or low framerate) with GPS

sigmoid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dash cam that can record low frame rate geo-tagged footage. It seems most dash cam options offer time lapse mode only for parking mode, but I'm looking for somewhere between one and several frames per second while driving, along with up-to-date GPS coordinates. This will be primarily for urban infrastructure surveys, but anything that would work for a geo-tagged "road trip" style time lapse would likely also work.

Any suggestions from the community? Getting a bit overwhelmed by the number of options out there. Thanks!

Well there is the hyperlapse recording in gopro cameras, which also have GPS on board as far as i know.
But hyperlapse as i understand it are not timelapse as in X FPS recording, but played at normal speed a hyper lapse recording get things done fast.
I think maybe one / some Garmin dashcams can record timelapse when driving.
You could also force a dashcam in parking mode, but to be honest i dont know if the GPS stuff are also going while in parking mode.

I also saw on TV a program on innovation in Africa, some guy made a APP that used the phones mootion sensors to log dirt road conditions, and the users could then submit that to get their road fixed / graded.
But of course that app did not use the cameras as such though i do think the user could take a pic and attach that to his submission to get road repaired.
but pretty smart instead of having to pay people to constantly survey the country's road conditions, who can do that better than the people using the roads every day.

I'm looking for a dash cam that can record low frame rate geo-tagged footage.

I have an orignal A119 (2016) and A119S (2017), both still functioning. I don't have the cameras handy at the moment, but as I recall, both have time lapse modes for 3 or 4 selected settings which functioned outside of parking mode and they have a GPS available. In fact these cameras had this function before parking mode was introduced to the A119 in the newer software upgrades. Not sure if that was carried over to the current version (A119 V3). Perhaps @CaptureYourAction or an A119 V3 user can shed more light on this subject.

Last edited:
Yes, the new A119V3 has the same features as the A119V2 and A119S series did. Time Lapse options outside of parking mode are still there.

And to your knowledge do the A119 options include GPS data with the time lapse mode? It seems some cameras that offer GPS data don't include it w/ time lapse footage. Thanks again for your help.

I assume it does, but have never tried it. I don't use GPS, so maybe someone who uses the GPS mount with theirs can chime in.

I tested it my original A119 which has firmware version A119_180913_V4.01 (the latest version I think) with GPS (indoors). The Time lapse mode does function outside Parking Mode and does imprint GPS data (lat, long, & speed) onto each image if the proper settings are enabled. I think the files are recorded as 30 fps videos, so action is speeded up dependent on the Time lapse setting. Settings are given in terms of time, which I assume is time between images, which produces a fast motion video with no sound. Setting selections are: Off; 100, & 200 ms; 1, 2, 5, 10 &, 30 Seconds; 1, 5, & 10 Minutes. So the frames per unit time should be the inverse of the setting selections. The Loop Recording setting doesn't function. Loop recording time is a function of the Time-lapse setting. I don't upload videos but find below a frame captured from a video made during the test. The Time lapse setting was 1 Second which yielded 1 frame per second of real time.

I think the A119S functions similiarly for the Time-lapse mode. Can't say for sure for the A119 V3.

A119_Time_lapse_1Sec.JPG

This is great, thanks so much for testing that. Worst case I could just buy an original A119 if the v3 doesn't end up working for this. :)

Back