Massdrop DR500GW-HD for $239

Wow, I and just bought this with the power magic for 333......... And the wifi button doesn't work, the camera doesn't record US license plates properly. Since this Group Buy is for the USA, I would avoid it til the issue is fixed. Unless you don't care about recording the plates.

vbx said:
Wow, I and just bought this with the power magic for 333......... And the wifi button doesn't work, the camera doesn't record US license plates properly. Since this Group Buy is for the USA, I would avoid it til the issue is fixed. Unless you don't care about recording the plates.

I wish i got mine for $239 ;)
For the license plate issue (Canadian plate about same size as US), it does look sharp when another car is right in front of me, when it move to about 3-4 cars length, it start look blurry.

M-Element said:
vbx said:

For the license plate issue (Canadian plate about same size as US), it does look sharp when another car is right in front of me, when it move to about 3-4 cars length, it start look blurry.

keep in mind the lens on a dashcam is fixed focus, there's a certain field of view that will be in focus and as you get further away you'll start to lose focus as objects are outside of that range

this isn't from a Blackview cam but just to illustrate a point if you look further afield you'll see things are not in focus compared to things closer by http://jokiin.com/images/screenshot.jpg

as long as you're within that field of focus is no problem, even doing 100Km/h you can still catch licence plates of vehicles going in the opposite direction (provided you have the bitrate needed to catch the details) once they are within the sweet spot of your field of focus, 3 to 4 car lengths away is where I would reasonably expect things to not be as sharp

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
M-Element said:
vbx said:

keep in mind the lens on a dashcam is fixed focus, there's a certain field of view that will be in focus and as you get further away you'll start to lose focus as objects are outside of that range

this isn't from a Blackview cam but just to illustrate a point if you look further afield you'll see things are not in focus compared to things closer by http://jokiin.com/images/screenshot.jpg

as long as you're within that field of focus is no problem, even doing 100Km/h you can still catch licence plates of vehicles going in the opposite direction (provided you have the bitrate needed to catch the details) once they are within the sweet spot of your field of focus, 3 to 4 car lengths away is where I would reasonably expect things to not be as sharp

Just want to make it clear i am not complaining at all, so far i am happy with my camera. :D
Just try to say due to our license plate design, the letters are not as big and bold like other countries.
Actually everything in the video is quite in focus to me, not sharp only because its getting far and smaller.

^ Yep, just like my cam. 1 car length away and the plates are still blurry.... Cannot clearly see the plates unless the car is about 2ft away.

lol, looks like they removed my post in the group buy.

vbx said:
^ Yep, just like my cam. 1 car length away and the plates are still blurry.... Cannot clearly see the plates unless the car is about 2ft away.

Then my cam is better, i will say the plate still look clear 2 meter away. haha :D

Here is 2 screen grabs from a video taken from the same distance. one from the blackvue and the other from my tablet. And my tablet was farther from the windshield. The car was only a half car length away. Yet it look miles away in the dash cam. lol (due to the wide screen angle lens)

1000815_205023749655100_2002264900_n.png

M-Element said:
vbx said:

Then my cam is better, i will say the plate still look clear 2 meter away. haha :D

Looks like the plates are the same size. Must be something wrong with my camera. Thanks for the vid. I'll show it to the ebay seller.

All this is why I suggested in my post aimed towards Pittasoft is that they revert back to the lens used in the 400 which is not so wide angle and things look realistically closer and the plates can be read more easily.

I still believe that polite dialog rather than rampant derogatory criticism is a far better way to approach this seeing that the Company have appeared and seem willing to listen.

Softly softly catchee monkey Make a big noise and he will run away.

Not exactly politically correct but Im sure the more rational will get the idea.

Yeah the ultra wide angle they went with might show some benefit with a bit of extra info either side, I don't feel the trade off is worth it though

Back