Memory Cards Confirmed Working/Not Working?

My A229 has not been tested or installed yet, but I have two questions:
  1. Is anyone using a Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB that works? This is the card I have, so I'd like to know if I need to get something else.
  2. How long does the initial formatting in the camera (Viofo recommends) take? I'm seeing posts stating 5 - 7 hours. How do I keep the camera powered for that long?
  3. Or should I just format using a computer?
Formatting in the camera only takes a few seconds.
There have been way too many issues reported with that card. I would stick with what VIOFO recommends. The SanDisk Max Endurance card seems to be very reliable in the A229.

I had nothing but trouble with that card. Return it and get the Sandisk Max Endurance card.

Formatting in the camera only takes a few seconds.
There have been way too many issues reported with that card. I would stick with what VIOFO recommends. The SanDisk Max Endurance card seems to be very reliable in the A229.
Thanks, guys. I just ordered the SanDisk Max Endurance 256GB.

There are a couple of ways to format a storage devise.
One is a full format, and this will clear all sectors and the FAT, and so it will take a while depending on how fast the storage are and of course how big it is.
A fast format on the other hand, that will just clear the FAT and so any data in the sectors are actually still there, just ready to get overwritten by something, so if you look at the devise it will say empty as that is all the cleared FAT know, but as the sectors have not been cleared the data are actually still there, clearing the FAT just take seconds.

This is why you want to be careful if you throw out / sell something with a storage device in it, that be modern electronic storage or even a old spinning hard disk, if not properly formatted your personal data could still be there and so retrieved.

When i put in the new PNY memory card today, the A229 just popped up with a MSG saying press the OK button to format it, and so i did. And 15 seconds later i was up and running.

Last edited:
I've decided to be dumb and purchased another Samsung card even though I knew it wasn't recommended to do so... Think the Viofo A229 might have broke the Samsung Pro Plus 512gb lol - trying to do a full overwrite with SD Formatter and takes forever to get 1% done, similar issue to the Pro Endurance 256gb I had a while back.
1670562380157.png

Slowly having to manually restart recording on the Sandisk Ultra 200gb. Have a Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb on the way - hoping not to have any issues anymore.

I've decided to be dumb and purchased another Samsung card even though I knew it wasn't recommended to do so... Think the Viofo A229 might have broke the Samsung Pro Plus 512gb lol - trying to do a full overwrite with SD Formatter and takes forever to get 1% done, similar issue to the Pro Endurance 256gb I had a while back.
View attachment 62957

Slowly having to manually restart recording on the Sandisk Ultra 200gb. Have a Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb on the way - hoping not to have any issues anymore.

Formatting the card will take around 6-7 hours. Don't look at the %. On my laptop, it also stayed at 1-2% for a long time but i let it run overnight and the other morning the card was fully formatted and got back on the full speed capabilities.

by the way: I used guiformat, not sdformatter.

Formatting the card will take around 6-7 hours. Don't look at the %. On my laptop, it also stayed at 1-2% for a long time but i let it run overnight and the other morning the card was fully formatted and got back on the full speed capabilities.

by the way: I used guiformat, not sdformatter.

Running a MacBook Pro - not too much options and I do know it takes 6 to 7 hours or even more; but after 2 hours, it was only at 3 or 4% and now the card can read only and write extremely slow when copying a ~400mb file over. Took about a minute or two to write a file.

On windows I didn't like the sdformatter tool. In guiformat I could manually set FAT32-65K cluster size. It seems during format the % varies (at a certain moment it was 4% and after a while it was 2% again. So don't look at the % only. Just wait....

My A229 has not been tested or installed yet, but I have two questions:
  1. Is anyone using a Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB that works? This is the card I have, so I'd like to know if I need to get something else.
  2. How long does the initial formatting in the camera (Viofo recommends) take? I'm seeing posts stating 5 - 7 hours. How do I keep the camera powered for that long?
  3. Or should I just format using a computer?

Thanks, guys. I just ordered the SanDisk Max Endurance 256GB.
FWIW, while waiting for the SanDisk Max Endurance to arrive I installed the Viofo A229 with the Samsung Pro Endurance. It's been a week and it's working just fine.

FWIW, while waiting for the SanDisk Max Endurance to arrive I installed the Viofo A229 with the Samsung Pro Endurance. It's been a week and it's working just fine.
Im glad to hear you're not having issues with the Samsung card. Personally i dont trust it though, (tbh im now extremely off-put by Samsung sd cards in general now).

Can you confirm what settings you're recording with? And if youre using both cameras?

Im glad to hear you're not having issues with the Samsung card. Personally i dont trust it though, (tbh im now extremely off-put by Samsung sd cards in general now).

Can you confirm what settings you're recording with? And if youre using both cameras?
Dual channel. Settings are max bitrate and 3-minute loops. Parking mode (low bitrate) works great with the Cellink Neo.

Just switched out the Sandisk Ultra A1 200gb with the Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb. My settings I've been using is normal bitrate, 3-minute loop, parking mode w/ low bitrate on Cellink Neo.

So far the Viofo A229 destroyed two (2) Samsung cards (Pro Endurance 256gb and Pro Plus 512gb, working on RMA or just toss it). Sandisk High Endurance 128gb only worked 50% of the time from initial testing.

Too early to judge or make any conclusions.
You seem to be the only one in this entire thread that this card worked for on the A229.

Too early to judge or make any conclusions.
You seem to be the only one in this entire thread that this card worked for on the A229.
I know. I'm very special! I'll keep you all posted as time goes on. I've got a brand new SanDisk ready and waiting if the Samsung goes kaput.

I know. I'm very special! I'll keep you all posted as time goes on. I've got a brand new SanDisk ready and waiting if the Samsung goes kaput.
Which Samsung Pro Endurance? The new white and blue ones or the older white and black?

Which Samsung Pro Endurance? The new white and blue ones or the older white and black?
256GB was never made in the older black and white version. Blue and white only.
Black and white version maximum size was 128GB.

Not sure I should post this - my camera might be listening!

Also bought the Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB for my new A229 Duo - had it running a few weeks now - shshsh............ working just fine!

Not sure I should post this - my camera might be listening!

Also bought the Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB for my new A229 Duo - had it running a few weeks now - shshsh............ working just fine!
I resemble that remark! 10 days and mine's still working fine. Knock wood.

Back