MEMORY ERROR ON VIOFO A229 USING VIOFO 128GB SD CARD.

nofrills

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hello, I bought my A229 a few weeks ago. A week later I purchased the 128gb memory card from viofo website. Initially, I was using Garmin 66w with a 200gb sandisk ultra (see photo). I used the 200gb old card for about 2 weeks before the viofo one arrived and got 'memory card slow' error 2 times in that period. When the new card arrived I put it in the dashcam and formatted it immediately. On the 2nd day of using the memory card (i.e. today) I got 'memory error' 2 times (with beeping) after starting the vehicle. I am surprised as I thought the viofo card would work well with their dashcam. I have done a speed test and both cards have the same exact speed. How can I fix this? Anyone out there using the A229, which memory card do you use that doesn't have issues?old card.jpgerror.jpgViofo card.jpg

Three possibilities:
1) you got two bad memory cards
2) you have a bad camera
3) possible power issues

My guess is 2 is most likely, but I can't rule out 1 or 3. One thing you might try is to power the camera outside the car with a wall wart (maybe your phone charger?) and see if you still get memory errors. If so, that would eliminate 3. Try other memory cards, if all of them get memory errors, you can eliminate 1.

Mehn thats heartbreaking, saved up for this camera and got a lemon :( .I live in Kenya, so I can't return it lol. Will try shipping sandisk max endurance hoping it wont have issues.

Try the power test first. You probably already have what you need for that test.

I've already raised a ticket, they are yet to get back. I believe the problem is the cards since the errors are not the exact same and the viofo card seems to be more problematic with 2 errors in one day while the old 200gb sandisk ultra only errored twice in the more than week of use while waiting for the viofo card.

I've already raised a ticket, they are yet to get back. I believe the problem is the cards since the errors are not the exact same and the viofo card seems to be more problematic with 2 errors in one day while the old 200gb sandisk ultra only errored twice in the more than week of use while waiting for the viofo card.
We have replied to you with solutions through the ticket. Please rest assured that we will solve the problem for you.

I did a full format with guiformat.exe, worked well for a week and now the 'memory error' is back. I believe the viofo card is faulty because an ultra card of the same 20mb/s speed sometimes gave 'memory slow' message but never memory error. I've ordered sandisk max perfomance with reportedly 40mb/s, hopefully it works well.

I would still try a full format with sdformatter.

Alright I might try it. However, I've googled and seen different sdformatter websites, which is the genuine one?

I did a full format with guiformat.exe, worked well for a week and now the 'memory error' is back. I believe the viofo card is faulty because an ultra card of the same 20mb/s speed sometimes gave 'memory slow' message but never memory error. I've ordered sandisk max perfomance with reportedly 40mb/s, hopefully it works well.
How much video did it record in that week? Was it just enough to fill up the memory card to the point where it needed to start erasing old video? Erasing data is one of the slowest things that happens on flash memory. I suspect that once it needed to start overwriting old data, it was too slow to accept new video causing the error. This is something speed tests don't measure.

How much video did it record in that week? Was it just enough to fill up the memory card to the point where it needed to start erasing old video? Erasing data is one of the slowest things that happens on flash memory. I suspect that once it needed to start overwriting old data, it was too slow to accept new video causing the error. This is something speed tests don't measure.
I'm not sure how full the card is (yet to pop it out) but I doub't filling up is the cause of the error because it started acting up when new and with few videos (20km distance recordings) in it. Honestly, I regret the move to viofo..too problematic. Saving up for another brand. Thanks for the support though. If the new card I ordered also causes issues I'm removing the dashcam.

I was thinking the same but didn't post.

I've seen quite a few posts here over time where full cards have been the issue. Certainly worth checking.

My course of action would be to get a fast write card, not endurance, and give it a go. There are 80Mbps+ write cards available at a low cost these days. My Samsung Evo card is now 4 years old and still going strong. But, I do cut/paste the contents before it fills up and it is on a single channel cam.

Thankfully viofo is sending me a replacement card. I hope it will bring an end to the problem. Their support though is top notch, that's a fact!

Back