MicroSD options, including MLC cards

A few weeks ago I ordered 2 Transcend cards on Amazon US (fulfilled be Transcend) and they arrived in a week. The price was slightly above what I paid for the same about 4 months ago so, I opted for the 300X instead of the 400X but both were available.

Given these other reports I'm not sure what is happening. All I know for certain is that regardless of price, it's only Transcend Premium cards for me as they've been utterly reliable and lasted much longer than predicted.

Phil

Those shipping times for both the Transcend and Lexar 64 GB High Endurance... Are there other reliable places to get these (I'm in Canada) or should I just get in line with Amazon?

FWIW, the Lexar High Endurance 64GB now show "in stock" on Amazon.ca

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered some of these. No local options for me here in the north western Ontario wilderness.

I foolishly bought two San Disk Ultra microSD cards when I bought my dash cam. I've been using premium SanDisk cards in my DSLR cameras and my digital video camera for years without issue. The SanDisk packaging even says "take better pictures and Full HD video". After learning that they are not warrantied and not recommended for dash cams, I'm very peeved with SanDisk. I was going to just use these until they packed it in, but the whole point of a dash cam is to have a record when you need it.

sandisk seem to be fine with other things, i have used a few of them before and never had issued in MP3 players and cameras ASO

All however can fail even the highest end brands / models, at least thats how it have been here at me.

I don't think it's so much a knock against SanDisk as it is people using the cheapest tool for the job and then getting upset if it doesn't hold up like more expensive offerings.

So I had a weird situation happen to me. I ordered one of these because it was recommended. I had been using a 32gb Transcend HE card for the past month but decided I wanted more storage. Was looking for a 128gb card but couldnt find any that were high performance.

Anyway, got the Lexar card, put it in the cam and formatted it. Used it all day on Friday. Yesterday I took the card out and transferred some videos to my computer to save like I normally do. Then I put it back in the cam. When I started driving again it said "memory card error". So I formatted it again and it started working fine. Then about an hour later when I started my car again it said "memory card error". I pulled the card out and popped it back in then it started recording again. The next time I started the car the error popped back up. Frustrated, I pulled the card out and popped it into my card reader for the computer and it came up ":/D directory not found". It couldnt locate the card. I tried formatting the card on the computer and it said it was not a viable disc to format.

Needless to say I put my Transcend card back in the cam and it worked immediately. Issued an RMA on Amazon and they are sending me out another Lexar card.

Those are the kinds of real world experiences that are always interesting. Could be a fluke, who knows, but still. Who was recommending Lexar High Endurance to you? And why would they?

Those are the kinds of real world experiences that are always interesting. Could be a fluke, who knows, but still. Who was recommending Lexar High Endurance to you? And why would they?

It wasnt someone specific. Just a few google searches for "best SD cards for dash cams" and some Youtube vids. They always said the Transcend was the best which is why I went for that first. The Lexar came in second.

...Yesterday I took the card out and transferred some videos to my computer to save like I normally do. Then I put it back in the cam....
Just out of curiosity, what kind of computer? There are many reports of iOS machines not 'playing nice' and causing issues when going back and forth between camera to computer to camera. If yours is in fact a Mac the recommendation is to reformat the card in the camera whenever it's been used in the computer.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of computer? There are many reports of iOS machines not 'playing nice' and causing issues when going back and forth between camera to computer to camera. If yours is in fact a Mac the recommendation is to reformat the card in the camera whenever it's been used in the computer.

Dell laptop running Windows 10 and using media player to view the videos. I have also always been careful to also click "remove drive" before pulling out the SD card.

This thread is only about microSD cards, and the Sony offering along those lines is already referenced in the original post.

Just saw it in the description. It's definitely not double the price of other SD cards and is comparable to Transcend in price minus the ECC. Nothing on lifespan though.

Please provide your link to Amazon. Because what you reference is an SD card, not a microSD, so I need to make sure that there's not suddenly a too-good-to-be-true version out there.

It's infuriating when someone casually makes you go hunting for what they're claiming they've already found. The closest I can find is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00X140GW4
If so, it maxes out at 64GB, says nothing about any ECC, and the offer only a 1-year warranty.

Added it to the original post anyway, just in case.

He's spouting a bunch of nonsense in every direction. Random commenters on random user reviews on Amazon should not be used as a reliable source of information on any topic.

So something I noticed with my new Lexar card. When playing videos consecutively in my media player, theres a very slight pause in between recordings. This wasnt there on the Transcend card, they were smooth and you couldnt tell when one ended and the other began. Wonder why that is.

Back