Mini 0803 coming

I see this camera advertised with specs that say "WDR support". What is that supposed to mean? I know what WDR (wide dynamic range) is, but support implies that it is not implemented yet. Is that correct, that there needs to be a firmware update sometime in the future before it is implemented?

The latest low light footage was kindly posted by billknow earlier in this thread.... it's pretty impressive.
1080P Night video in city

1296P night video in city:

Video recorded by latest firmware 0416.

Thanks! Can you post still shots showing the difference between mini 0801 and 0803 which shows the advantage WDR in daylight scenes with shadows?

Such shots were posted by Rayman.Chan on another thread. These were with an earlier version of the FW.

I don't have mine yet. Waiting for all the mods to be completed and for FoxOffer to start sending out the production ready version....

sorry someone mistake type the DRIVER NUMBER on mini 0801 to be HEG which should be MEG; maybe the 1.5inch TFT is too small for him/her.
and, please fogive my dirty windshield which effect a lot in night view.
it is cloudy today here in Shenzhen.

all images are captured from videos, at same time point & same location.
original video download: http://video.megcn.com/X34/0801 VS 0803.zip (file size 1.05G)

View attachment 4424 View attachment 4425 View attachment 4426 View attachment 4427 View attachment 4428 View attachment 4429

I bought the so called 0803 on Friday, jokiin is right It's not the real deal.
I've turned off WDR, the picture quality is far better with it off, with it on, there's very strange effects in certain lighting conditions, with it off, the picture is much sharper.

Will wait to see if a future firmware will fix this, if I've bought a fake, I will buy another when It's mass produced...The camera is that good.

I wasn't impressed by those stills. My mini 0801 seems to provide better quality both day and night than what was posted. So he must have had a dirty windscreen, bad headlights, or some other problems.

not that it wouldn't be a real one, bit early for copies already, it would just be one of the early samples, (the samples were intended for people to test, not to sell them, oh well) I have mentioned this multiple times but human nature being what it is, well some people just can't wait ;)

in the earlier firmware versions it does work much better with WDR turned off, there has been a lot of improvement since then though and the mass production spec will differ from what you have now but the firmware 'should' be ok for yours and still offer you a good improvement over what you have now, I say should because you'll have a different lens to what the mass production product will ship with and there will be some minor adjustments to suit the new lens

I bought the so called 0803 on Friday, jokiin is right It's not the real deal.
I've turned off WDR, the picture quality is far better with it off, with it on, there's very strange effects in certain lighting conditions, with it off, the picture is much sharper.

Will wait to see if a future firmware will fix this, if I've bought a fake, I will buy another when It's mass produced...The camera is that good.
It's a bit naughty you've been sold an early pre-production "sample" that's meant to be for testing purposes before going into production!

EDIT - I see that jokiin has already made this exact same point!

I wasn't impressed by those stills. My mini 0801 seems to provide better quality both day and night than what was posted. So he must have had a dirty windscreen, bad headlights, or some other problems.

I'm not sure why people decided to post sample pics and video before the product was finished, 3 months ago the results were very poor, it has progressed a lot since, particularly in the last week

not that it wouldn't be a real one, bit early for copies already, it would just be one of the early samples, (the samples were intended for people to test, not to sell them, oh well) I have mentioned this multiple times but human nature being what it is, well some people just can't wait ;)

in the earlier firmware versions it does work much better with WDR turned off, there has been a lot of improvement since then though and the mass production spec will differ from what you have now but the firmware 'should' be ok for yours and still offer you a good improvement over what you have now, I say should because you'll have a different lens to what the mass production product will ship with and there will be some minor adjustments to suit the new lens

Even as it is, It's still a stunning camera, if the firmware does not fix it, I will install this one in the rear of the car and buy another for the front.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not sure why people decided to post sample pics and video before the product was finished, 3 months ago the results were very poor, it has progressed a lot since, particularly in the last week
Agreed, the latest low-light videos from billknow are particularly impressive. How have you been involved in it's development, jokiin?

Last edited:
Agreed, the latest low-light videos from billknow are particularly impressive. How you been involved in it's development, jokiin?

That's the effect I'm getting with WDR switched on.

That's the effect I'm getting with WDR switched on.
Seems to be quite infrequent, hopefully will be resolved with updated FW before release.
Keeping my fingers crossed updating the FW will work for you too.

What's a reputable company to buy from for the authentic 0803? Fox?

What's a reputable company to buy from for the authentic 0803? Fox?

Hi,
You can also get it from www.JooVuu.com we're based in the UK/EU and as such can easily ship to you and is easier for customer service etc.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi,
You can also get it from www.JooVuu.com we're based in the UK/EU and as such can easily ship to you and is easier for customer service etc.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Your having a UK presence is an attractive benefit - but your price is 66% higher than the one currently quoted on Fox (£99 vs £60 at present).
I appreciate that delivery from you would be quicker, that it may be cheaper to return if it goes wrong, and that there may be customs duty to pay - BUT - 66% is a lot to pay for those possible benefits.
I for one will wait to see what happens to the price on Fox after release before making a decision.

Your having a UK presence is an attractive benefit - but your price is 66% higher than the one currently quoted on Fox (£99 vs £60 at present).
I appreciate that delivery from you would be quicker, that it may be cheaper to return if it goes wrong, and that there may be customs duty to pay - BUT - 66% is a lot to pay for those possible benefits.
I for one will wait to see what happens to the price on Fox after release before making a decision.

Dear Pewe,
I understand that, however, we have to pay VAT and 20% corporation tax, as well as national insurance contributions and everything. Unfortunately 90% of people will go to the cheaper one as they do not understand why the price is higher but it's just because I refuse to have a race to the bottom and so pay a living wage, provide good customer service, and I refuse to operate from a low tax country in order to avoid paying higher tax. I see it as a moral obligation that business should benefit society rather than exploit it. When we have finalized pricing for the mini 0803 we may be able to drop the price.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Back