Mini 0803 coming

I just found this one: http://eeyelog.en.alibaba.com/produ...lack_Box_Camera_with_1920X1080_60FPS_GPS.html

Looks like A7LA50+ AR0330 is capable for 60fps even with 1080p...

From point of view of finer details reading there is no valuable diffetence in todays dashcams 1080p / 30fps vs 1080p / 60fps. The only advantage of 1080 / 60 is smoother video playback, but it does not give better numberplates- or other details reading than 1080 / 30. Frame by frame its all the same, no difference.
At the moment technology, or data processing used in dashcams 1080 / 60 is not exactly the same as it used in other video industries where 2x of FPS gives 2x result.
Those conclusions I have made on side by side test of two latest dashcams, both based on A7LA70D, have same CMOS, one was 1080p 30Fps, other 1080p 60Fps. Analyzing data I didnt see any useful difference in fine ( numberplates ) data reading / recording.
Probably need different approach in firmware on how 1080 / 60 records, but it early to say yet what exactly need to be done.
I will continue my tests and when time is right, I will post results.

Test video by 0803 0510V1 FW with new lens:

Download video:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/video/0803/0803_new_lens_1.MOV

I compared it with another A7 camera with OV4689 sensor, it seems it is better than 803.

0803 video screenshot
View attachment 5169

A7 camera with OV4689 sensor
View attachment 5170

OV4689 has big potential and I think its the right choice to go for A7 based dashcams. At least I have positive impression about initial video tests of OV4689. We will see how technology and production evolves.

Since there have been complaints about running hot, I'd like to know how much current it draws in 1080p and higher 1296p, with and without the LCD on? We already have this for 0801 in 1080p.
Unfortunately I did not have the camera long enough to have enough time to measure power consumption..

But theres something else I recognized: The camera did not log GPS data with my 0801 gps bracket. It didn't create a GPS folder on the SD-Card an no GPS logs. Didn't test with the shipped one though.

How old is your 0801? The early GPS mount used different hardware but almost a year since those have been used from memory

Bought it in Oct-2013 but the PCB has 2013-04-?? printed on it. (Don't remember the day)

Unfortunately I did not have the camera long enough to have enough time to measure power consumption..

But theres something else I recognized: The camera did not log GPS data with my 0801 gps bracket. It didn't create a GPS folder on the SD-Card an no GPS logs. Didn't test with the shipped one though.

QuickTime files are used to store QuickTime movies, as well as other data. If you are writing an application that parses QuickTime files, you should recognize that there may be non-movie data in the files.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/quicktime/QTFF/QTFFPreface/qtffPreface.html
I guess, GPS data from now on included in the .mov files.

Last edited:
So you say that the GPS data could be in the .mov files?

Just a thought, the first thing that crossed my mind.

I'll just ask my colleague if he has a gps-folder on his card when he arrives at home (he is using the shipped one I didn't use) :)

Oops, folder structure is the same as 801, set of circumstances led to this stupid mistake I made (brandnew class 10 card, containing .mov files created without GPS mount), please accept my apologies.

Last edited:
It would be extremely helpful if they named their preferred suppliers by geographical regions, areas or countries.
it will be a long list, and it will discover the customer business information. please understand the situation.

In 'fairness' (?) he'd suggested @aabs buys from a UK reseller online, which is a little odd. I wonder who that might be!;) Not sure how 'fair' that is for any of their non-UK online resellers.:p
this is because i saw @aabs live in UK, he can get a new camera from UK reseller in eariest time.

Reading between-the-lines, perhaps the Mini 0803 is being manufactured by other companies under license too?!o_O
yes there are other factories which share the patent authorization also. so there is competition which will serve customers better. (solo manufacturer will be price monopoly.)

Just thinking there could be FW updating issues:(
the A7LA50D version mini 0803s from different manufacturers have same hardware, this is under regulation. and factories share the bug reports together to improve the camera better. so the FW is universal. (but you must check your camera spec first, because some OEM mini 0803s is Amba A7LA30D chipset.)
more customized features/functions are applied on different OEM customers of different factories. that is the real difference between different manufacturers.
Just like the feature "add the BEEP VOLUME adjustment and BLANK in driver number" we are working on, but you can upgrade our firmware to other manufacturers' 0803 also because the hardwares are exact same, this can't be prevented.
But anyway, we are doing our best to satisfy customers' requirement.

but I prefer AE metering lower than center (yellow square) because of the bright sky effect. A built-in menu function would be great to move AE area (red arrows).
when it is called CENTER, it can't be moved in any direction because it is exact CENTER. this is same as a DSLR.

Anyway, is anyone knows, the 'speed' of internal memory please? I put a 32GB Class10 Kingston as external card, and works flowless.
C6 or C10

Looks like A7LA50+ AR0330 is capable for 60fps even with 1080p...

Amba A7LA50/A7LA50D only support 1080P 30fps. if you want 1080P 60fps it must be A7LA70/A7LA70D.
we know the trick clearly: "yes it is 1080P and 60fps, but 1080P 30fps and 720P 60fps".

From point of view of finer details reading there is no valuable diffetence in todays dashcams 1080p / 30fps vs 1080p / 60fps. The only advantage of 1080 / 60 is smoother video playback, but it does not give better numberplates- or other details reading than 1080 / 30. Frame by frame its all the same, no difference..

1080P 60fps is used on sport cameras as GoPro. but the price is much higher.

I've just ordered my mini0803 from FoxOffer and I hope to receive it in a couple of weeks. I did check with them first what version of the cam they would be shipping and this is what I got for a reply :

1. The mini 0803 come with a stable firmware version newer then 20140510V1. --> I think they mean version 20140510V1, although it could mean a newer version is out right now. If so, has anyone seen it yet?
2. If there is any update about the firmware , we will give clients a link to download the latest firmware. --> that's something I required
3. The mini 0803 we sell now is the second production version. --> no preproduction models here anymore apparently
4. Mini 0803 work flawlessly with the 32GB Memory Card more than class 6. --> A class 10 should work fine as is in other words.

I'll let you know when I get my brand new dashcam and read up on more info here in the mean while.

Back