Mini 0805 - Or something else???

DashCamMk2.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Mini 0805 to be rear-facing in the car. It would be mounted on the ceiling and face 90 degrees outward.

I was just wondering, for £43.11, is there anything better I could get than one of those?

I like it because it's compact and thus discreet, so anything bigger is a no-go really. Is there anything the same size or smaller I could be getting a better deal on?

(A118C isn't an option as my window is almost vertical so the angle would be wrong)

I tried 2 806's and they are wonderful when they work. I had 2 problems, one was the overlying humm that went away when I turned off the car. Much like the problem in the '70's from car alternators causing noise in the stereo. I put a capacitor filter on it but it didn't go away. Second problem which is a little more severe is they both just died. This is an example of the noise problem and can you hear it stop when I turn off the car. I really did like these cameras but reliability wasn't there for me.

Thanks Dklein! Weirdly enough, that's what my A118-C does all the time!

Hmmm, I've read that 0806's are less reliable than the rest of the 080 series, but I'm a little worried now about getting one...

I wonder if anyone else can sway me either way?

Thanks!

I bought mine on Amazon so you could just try it and if it didn't work, send it back. That's what I did.

Thanks Dklein! Weirdly enough, that's what my A118-C does all the time!

Hmmm, I've read that 0806's are less reliable than the rest of the 080 series, but I'm a little worried now about getting one...

I wonder if anyone else can sway me either way?

Thanks!
I think these days the 0806 reliability is about the same as the 0805, maybe a little better. Austin TX is a bit hot for their batteries in mid-summer, might have been Dklein's problem but they seem OK in the UK, make sure you buy from a UK, or at least European supplier just in case it has to go back.

The 0806 image quality is definitely better than 0805, especially along UK country lanes.

This was mine yesterday, been in use since last October.

my mini 0805 has been pretty solid. I do get the electrical noise. most likely because the power cables are not shielded sufficiently. the only instances where I've encountered problems were with bigger cards (64GB+) that I failed to format FAT32. oh, and of course the vibrating mount which seems to be dependent on the car it's installed in but that's easily fixable.

it's battery powered but it seems to do fine in several days worth of heatwave here in California. and this is running 24/7 for me via a BDP device.

overall, it's been one of my favorite cameras. excellent daytime video and very adequate night recordings as well.

Yes get it from Amazon or a UK supplier, I got my first from “Amazon fulfilled” , make sure its not being supplies/shipped from China or you’ll have the same issues as getting it from Ebay if there are any issues.

I had to return my first two due to focusing issues, but my third mini 0805 is superb, I can’t fault it.

I’me very pleased with image quality it captures, which is number the one priority on par with reliability, (for me anyway) in some very difficult lighting conditions,

it picks up the engine sound or radio/the music on my SD card very good too, overall I’m as much if not slightly more pleased with my (third) mini 0805 than I am with my mini 0806, I also have my 0805 rear facing too

I’m on a very slow internet connection here on holiday so am showing only screen capture here

night capture, with good street lighting

in very strong sunlight

noticeable is screen reflection but I’m driving a soft top with the top off, so you should not have this issue, also I have a CPL filter to help with some of the reflections

over all, very pleased with this mini 0805, as for reliability, I’ve only had it for around 5 or 6 weeks so to early to tell

Last edited:
I would go as far as saying "anything else". I bought THREE 803's "with heat sync" retrofits and two have failed on me. Still have one unused in the box. Also made the mistake of recommending one to a friend, which has also failed.

My three year old Winycam X100FHD has turned out to be a real gem. Zero problems with it and produces excellent video. Knock on wood.

Thanks all. Some quite mixed messages there regards the 0805. I'm definitely in two minds about getting one, now!

I have the A118C on the front. Maybe I should just buy another for the back and mount it on a wooden wedge or something to angle the camera down.

Any other alternative cameras £50 or below that people would recommend over the 080 series?

TY

why on a wedge?
It would be mounted horizontally on the ceiling of the car as my back window is almost vertical. The up/down adjustment on the lens wouldn't go far enough to point out of the rear window too much, it'd end up with mostly sky, so on a wedge it would aim down slightly :)

I would go as far as saying "anything else". I bought THREE 803's "with heat sync" retrofits and two have failed on me.

it seems like the 0803 has suffered the most when it comes to heat issues. the 0805 has more ventilation for sure and maybe a better heatsink internally. the 0806 seems to be quite reliable now from what I read although a lot of the promised "features" like dual card slots and parking guard never came to fruition.

+3 Mobius.

Thanks all. I think Mobius is a good move!

I've seen quite a few different sellers. Some from China, some EU, some UK.

Where do people recommend I buy from? Any particular shop or seller?

Links appreciated.

Thanks!

someone on the approved sellers list

Thanks. Where can I find said list?

Also - I've seen a "basic" model, and a "basic w/wide angle lens" model...

Is the basic suitable for a rear-facing dash cam, or do I need to make sure it's wide-angle?

Thanks

Back