Country
China
Dash Cam
mini0806, mini0806S, mini0903/0905, mini0906, mini0808
mini 0806 (mini 0803 pro) demo video

day time video:

night video:

0806 specs ?

I might be wrong, but I have a feeling its with OV4689 CMOS ?

It needs a polarizing filter and the window glass needs a serious clean ;)

When will it be available?

The text for the time has grown - big improvement :)

Does it come with higher resolution (4MP)? To be honest, I do not see a real benefit of any resolution higher than 1080P. Just my personal opinion.

Likewise, I see more value in 1080p60 than just higher resolutions

I believe 30fps is sufficient as we do not use it as a action cam. In order to record an incidence, 30fps is more than enough. If 60fps is available without additional cost, i would take it. However, it would use more storage space. Again, my personal experience. :)

Does it come with higher resolution (4MP)? To be honest, I do not see a real benefit of any resolution higher than 1080P. Just my personal opinion.

For sure there is a benefit in higher res. CMOS, but it doesnt mean that for example all 1296p dashcams are better that 1080p. There are many other factors involved, like data processing, CMOS sensitivity, CMOS pixel size, etc.
If 1296p CMOS sensor individual pixel size is smaller ( or same size ) than individual pixel size of 1080p CMOS, then of course there are no benefit of 1296p for dashcam use.

For dashcam use, where many difficult ( not readable to 1080/30 ) scenes are recorded on high speed, - we need more FPS. I would prefer having more FPS. Like @jokiin said 1080/60, or even better 1080/120 ! :)

About 4MP CMOS OV4689, - it can do 1080 / 120 Fps.
So, there is nothing wrong to have 4Mpix ( OV4689 ). Most important is how to use it's potential ;)

The kind of heat generated in this model already I think makes resolutions greater than 1080p30 unsuitable, higher frame rates I'm sure would also be a challenge to do with high reliability

The kind of heat generated in this model already I think makes resolutions greater than 1080p30 unsuitable, higher frame rates I'm sure would also be a challenge to do with high reliability
I run my 0803 at 1296p and it runs reasonably cool, I know some people have heat issues but they do seem to be exceptions, maybe it could automatically degrade the resolution if it finds itself being baked by full midday sun? A more advanced chip with a higher resolution might well use less power anyway if it uses the next generation of silicon. Could always give it an aluminium case so the case becomes a heatsink instead of an oven...

I would use a higher resolution if it was available, sometimes you want to zoom in and see detail and with a wide angle lens that becomes more important - a higher resolution allows the use of a wider angle lens without loosing detail. I don't see any point in higher frame rates, unless you are going 100mph+ there are enough frames at 30fps for road use. There is an advantage in shorter shutter speeds, 60th of a second has half the motion blur of 30th second, people seem to be confusing these two issues. A faster frame rate means less data per frame unless you can also double the data rate which is unlikely and would also half the size of your storage card when measured in seconds. If it can manage 50% higher data rate then I would rather use it to improve the quality of the 30fps through less compression than go to 60fps and loose quality because there are then less bits per frame.

I believe 30fps is sufficient as we do not use it as a action cam. In order to record an incidence, 30fps is more than enough. If 60fps is available without additional cost, i would take it. However, it would use more storage space. Again, my personal experience. :)

I can think of countless times in my last two plus years of using dash cams where I would have liked and in some cases badly needed to accurately capture the license plate numbers of oncoming or fast moving vehicles but couldn't because of slower than required frame rates. Sixty frames per second would make a huge difference in the fine details that get captured by dash cams that would otherwise get lost to motion-blur. If a dash cam isn't in essence an "action cam", I don't know what is.

Additionally, depending on one's circumstances, an "incidence" is not necessarily a motor vehicle accident.

I can think of countless times in my last two plus years of using dash cams where I would have liked and in some cases badly needed to accurately capture the license plate numbers of oncoming or fast moving vehicles but couldn't because of slower than required frame rates. Sixty frames per second would make a huge difference in the fine details that get captured by dash cams that would otherwise get lost to motion-blur. If a dash cam isn't in essence an "action cam", I don't know what is.

Additionally, depending on one's circumstances, an "incidence" is not necessarily a motor vehicle accident.

i FULLY agree

Sixty frames per second would make a huge difference in the fine details that get captured by dash cams that would otherwise get lost to motion-blur.
But frame rate has no effect on motion blur, if a 30fps and a 60fps camera both use a shutter speed of 1/500th second the motion blur is identical on both. Shutter speed depends on sensor sensitivity, not frame rate.

But frame rate has no effect on motion blur, if a 30fps and a 60fps camera both use a shutter speed of 1/500th second the motion blur is identical on both. Shutter speed depends on sensor sensitivity, not frame rate.

Not true! Your statement reflects a common misunderstanding of how the human brain perceives motion in the context of motion pictures and particularly in modern digital video. It also suggests a lack of understanding of the differences between digital and analogue photographic capture. What may seem perfectly logical in the context of still photography or traditional film making regarding shutter speeds does not apply the same way in digital video. Many factors effect digital video capture and unlike in analogue film these factors are also especially evident during playback because of the capabilities of the display or projection platform. As an example, this is why higher end HDTVs feature 120Hz (and higher) refresh rates rather than the 60Hz offered in lower priced sets.

In traditional film making, 24 fps has been the standard now for a century and many directors refuse to use anything else for shooting fiction because it provides the "filmic" (ie: dreamy) look they desire. It is what we've come to know as "normal". In modern digital video this has begun to move to 30 fps for an improved feeling of reality during capture (less motion effects). We first started seeing this in the high definition television broadcasting of sporting events (especially US and British football) for the reason of better capturing the fast motion of athletes and the ball in action.

Some directors like Peter Jackson and James Cameron have recognized the value in higher FPS rates and consider 24 FPS to be an artifact of obsolete 20th century technology. "One of the recognized benefits of the higher frame rates is that fast camera moves no longer cause 'strobing,' and individual frames are sharper. Action scenes are definitely smoother and more lifelike". The first commercially released feature film was Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" followed by "The Desolation of Smaug". In the future we will very likely be watching all feature films at frames rates as high as 120 fps. Peter Jackson says of using 48 fps, "Film purists will criticize the lack of blur and strobing artifacts, but all of our crew--many of whom are film purists--are now converts. You get used to this new look very quickly and it becomes a much more lifelike and comfortable viewing experience. It's similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs. There's no doubt in my mind that we're heading towards movies being shot and projected at higher frame rates." Jackson goes on to say, "the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok--and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years--but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements, and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or 'strobe.' "

See Peter Jackson's Facebook entry for the complete full text of his above quoted remarks and his explanation of higher frame rates in digital film production.

See THIS article for some further discussion of the future of frame rates in feature film making.

RED Digital Cinema, manufacturers of the RED cameras (one of Peter Jackson's favorite tools) provides an excellent article on higher frame rates in THIS article.

An excellent interactive online demonstration of the difference between various digital frame rates and other factors can be found at https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
(This is a "must visit" link if you wish to better understand this issue and see frames rate differences in action. Here you can select, view and compare different video frame rates and their associated motion blur in real time.)

Finally, consider reading up on frame rates at Wikipedia.

The following images are from the above referenced RED Digital article which are prefaced (in part) in the article by the statement, "Everything else being equal, one can also extract sharper and more precisely positioned stills with HFR (high frame rates)".

10 fps
15fps.png

24 fps
24fps.png

60 fps
60fps.png

Edit: The value and potential of higher frames rates was recognized by professional filmmakers long before the advent of digital technology. During the late 1970s and early 1980s Douglas Trumbull, the groundbreaking special effects genius recognized for his seminal work on Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and other well known films developed the 60 fps cinematic process called Showscan which used 70mm film.

When this technique was first demonstrated, a showing was arranged in a theater outfitted with the technology and members of the media and investment community were invited to witness it publicly for the first time. During the first few minutes of the movie the film appeared to melt, stutter and completely break down into an apparently embarrassing disaster for the Showscan developers. A spokesman walked out on stage in front of the screen to apologize and explain what had happened but after speaking for awhile it suddenly began to dawn on the audience that the whole thing was a hoax and the "spokesman" was actually on screen as part of the movie along with the apparently broken footage and this was just the tongue-in-cheek introduction to the still running and increasingly jaw dropping 60 fps film demo they would continue to view. People who attended couldn't believe that the whole thing looked so realistic they couldn't tell what was real apart from what was being projected in front of them.

Trumbull and several others received an Academy Award for this technological achievement but the concept proved not to be commercially viable until the advent of digital technology due to the high cost of the vast amounts of film necessary for this process, although the Showscan technology was used for some years in some rather thrilling theme park "rides". Alas, I was an early investor in Showscan and so have been following the "higher frame rate" question for some time now.

Last edited:
Must be using Ambarella's A7LA70 processor. Could this processor run more efficiently and use less power and generate less heat than the 0803's A7LA50?

a simple example, press "pause" 1:30
frame rate = image per second
shutter speed = exposure (and sharpen) of each frame
25 frames per second vs 50 frames per second (press pause) 1/4000 almost no difference
Dashmellow, explain 18 and the 22nd second of this video
where there is no difference
trust the eyes :)

Last edited by a moderator:

+1 For 60FPS !

Dashmellow, explain 18 and the 22nd second of this video where there is no difference
trust the eyes :)
Maybe because the GoPro is an action camera not a movie camera? A movie camera will blur the difference between frames to ensure that the viewer sees smooth motion instead of stepped motion and in that case a higher frame rate would result in less artificial bluring. I would expect a dashcam to behave like the GoPro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back