Mini 0906 + Lukas LK 290 - Not Going To Parking Mode

Skanob

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo Plus, Mini 0906+Rear. 128GB Sandisk MAX Endur
Hi everyone,

I am in desperate need of help. I've updated my sig for the equips and settings that I've got and has connected it to my 2013 Outlander ES.

I just received the Mini 0906 dash cam (came with a Hardwire Kit, but is not a voltage protection), and Lukas LK 209 (Type A with one Cigarette Lighter Socket) (hyperlinked from where I bought them from ebay), Mini Fuse holder taps.

I would say that I've got a bit of an idea of what I'm doing when it comes to soldering stuff in the car and I am in the IT industry too (still studying), after all, I was able to install parking sensors to my 2006 Mitsubishi Colt, amongst friends' too.

But I just couldn't figure out why the Mini 0906 does not go to Parking Mode.

My Setup - Detailed
I think I could explain my setup better with a diagram:
4500Untitled.png
So I've removed the cigarette lighter socket and soldered straight to the Hardwire Kit's connection (since its just a positive and negative connection).

The connection above was set as per instruction in the booklet and internet, (couldn't find now the link of someone on an Outlander 2013/2014 connecting theirs' on the Hazard Flasher as the constant power).

I was able to finish setting and connecting up everything (coupling/hiding the cables properly behind the trims and all) last night and finished at midnight, and said to myself that this should work and test it until the morning.

Issue:
I woke up this morning and immediately had a look on the Dash Cam, lo and behold, it is still recording as per Loop Recording settings. I already had a hunch that the Parking Mode didn't kick in, so I turned off the LK290 from its switch, the camera went off, pulled the micro SD, and had a look on my PC. It has confirmed my doubt that the Dash Cam was recording ALL NIGHT!!

Troubleshooting that I've done:
- The LK290 will go to constant blinking red light when the engine is ON. Once the engine is off, the light will be blinking slow for a few seconds, then it will start blinking constantly again (even if the engine is off).
- I read somewhere that there's a possibility that the BATT and ACC are swapped, I've tested switching the ACC and BATT connection and confirmed that they are correct. Once switched and the engine is OFF, then the LK290 will be switched off as well since the BATT isn't getting a constant power.
- I confirm that the ACC Cigarette Lighter is turned off once the engine is off since I've got a car charger and tested on my phone.

Wanted to achieve:
1. The Dash Cam should go to Parking Mode if the Engine is off (regardless how long it should take to kick in)
2. Parking mode is set to Motion Detection
3. Then it should do Normal recording as per settings once the Engine is started.

I am not entirely sure what I've done wrong why the Dash Cam wouldn't kick in to Parking Mode.

I am starting to think that I may have the wrong Hardwire Kit??? I am not entirely sure which of the Dash Cam or LK290 is not doing what they are supposed to...?

Can somebody please tell me of what I am doing wrong to achieve above? T_T

P.S.
How quick/slow does the Parking Mode kick in as soon as the Engine/ACC is turned off?
And is the Lukas LK290 supposed to be doing what is mentioned in Troubleshooting above, first line?

Last edited:
You may need the specific Mini 0906 hardwire kit with the Parking Guard functionality - as you have it with the LK290 it thinks it's running the engine constantly - the Mini specific Parking Guard kit exposes the permanent and switched wires to the camera to tell it when it should go into Parking mode.

Last edited:
You may need the specific Mini 0906 hardwire kit with the Parking Guard functionality - as you have it with the LK290 it thinks it's running on ACC constantly - the Mini specific Parking Guard kit exposes the permanent and switched wires to the camera to tell it when it should go into Parking mode.

I am very close to thinking to that I need its own specific hardwire kit. Cheers mate.

Has anyone in here had any experience with it? I am worried about its capability of cutting power at 12.4v (if it does it properly).

To be honest, I've based getting the Lukas LK290 from here in dashcamtalk. Seeing that it is highly recommended.

Isn't there any other way for me to make the LK290 to work?

It won't help you in Aus but this is the one I picked up here locally in the UK:

http://combi.org.uk/products/129/High-End-Digital-Hard-Wire-Kit

They just work slightly different ways to do what they do - the LK290 gives constant power regardless of whether the car is started or not and leaves it up to the dashcam to do motion detection to work out whether it's in parking mode or not.

The mini 0906 kit with parking guard just exposes that ACC trigger signal to the camera - I guess not the raw 12v output but just pulls that USB pin up or down regarding on whether the ACC voltage is detected.

The older cameras like the Panorama with the Zoran / CSR chips were good for this as they did prebuffered parking mode so with the Lukas they would run constantly and when you'd parked up it would realise that from the motion not changing.

With the Novatek and Ambarella cameras the developers keep coming up with workarounds to get to the same end game.

You've done everything right there, but the 0906 just needs that parking guard signal to trigger the camera into parking mode which it doesn't get from the Lukas.

I have that same Lukas in the parents car with the Street Guardian version of the Panorama and it's been absolutely bullet proof - I'm hoping this Mini kit lasts that long in my new car.

@Rayman.Chan does the 0906 work with this sort of kit with just motion detection or does it absolutely require the parking guard signal?

It won't help you in Aus but this is the one I picked up here locally in the UK:

http://combi.org.uk/products/129/High-End-Digital-Hard-Wire-Kit

They just work slightly different ways to do what they do - the LK290 gives constant power regardless of whether the car is started or not and leaves it up to the dashcam to do motion detection to work out whether it's in parking mode or not.

The mini 0906 kit with parking guard just exposes that ACC trigger signal to the camera - I guess not the raw 12v output but just pulls that USB pin up or down regarding on whether the ACC voltage is detected.

The older cameras like the Panorama with the Zoran / CSR chips were good for this as they did prebuffered parking mode so with the Lukas they would run constantly and when you'd parked up it would realise that from the motion not changing.

With the Novatek and Ambarella cameras the developers keep coming up with workarounds to get to the same end game.

You've done everything right there, but the 0906 just needs that parking guard signal to trigger the camera into parking mode which it doesn't get from the Lukas.

I have that same Lukas in the parents car with the Street Guardian version of the Panorama and it's been absolutely bullet proof - I'm hoping this Mini kit lasts that long in my new car.

@Rayman.Chan does the 0906 work with this sort of kit with just motion detection or does it absolutely require the parking guard signal?

Aww. I should have done my research more before getting the Lukas LK290. :(

The only one I've found that is "meant" for the Mini 0906 here in AUS is this. But I don't know if they are the official ones? I mean, are there any "official" Mini 0906 hardwire kit that supports the parking signal?

There are two micro usb sockets on the Mini 0906's mount, I've got it connected on the "rear" (the one facing backwards towards the inside of the car, refer to picture on OP) of the mini 0906. @Rayman.Chan does those micro usb sockets make a difference? I hope they do.

Last edited:
That's the one you want from Australia and the same as the one here - no worries about the LK290 as you could always use it for something else in the car or just sell it on.

I think Meg made that unit and it will most likely get picked up and made by various factories over time who'll nick the same idea!

That's the one you want from Australia and the same as the one here - no worries about the LK290 as you could always use it for something else in the car or just sell it on.

I think Meg made that unit and it will most likely get picked up and made by various factories over time who'll nick the same idea!

I guess this already puts the final nail in the coffin? I don't have any choice but to get that hardwire kit. :(

Now, is anyone up for a Lukas LK-290? :D

Back