Mini 806 Capacitor Model?

There are numerous examples of dash cam videos capturing important details after impact.
Yes but I'm pretty sure camera was getting power after impact in most of those videos.
I've seen crashes where engine was on the road outside while blinkers and wipers still working so it's very rare where impact results to instant power loss in everything.

Last edited:
Yes but I'm pretty sure camera was getting power after impact in most of those videos.

Not the case. Many have reported losing power from their camera after an impact.

I've seen crashes where engine was on the road outside while blinkers and wipers still working so it's very rare where impact results to instant power loss in everything.

This is basically rationalization and misses the point. You really want to bargain that your electric system will still be functional after an accident that bad? Additionally, there have been many instances where the camera simply becomes unplugged due to an impact from an accident.

Actually, what is your point? You seem to be suggesting that having a camera that can record a number of seconds of video after losing power isn't a good idea or wouldn't be desirable during a serious accident.

Last edited:
There is obviously potential for the 10 seconds to be useful, not convinced that it is likely though.

A modern car has a number of important safety systems that need the battery, such as the system that triggers the correct airbags with the correct timing depending on lateral g-force and yaw rate sensors, not to mention anti lock brakes and electronic stability control which should be trying to get a spinning car back under control. As a result the batteries are well protected and very firmly attached. In a modern car it is rare to find a battery mounted where it is in my car - directly behind the headlight thus almost the first thing to be impacted!

I'm getting very worried about super capacitor dashcams now, they seem like a safety hazard :D

A modern car has a number of important safety systems that need the battery, such as the system that triggers the correct airbags with the correct timing depending on lateral g-force and yaw rate sensors, not to mention anti lock brakes and electronic stability control which should be trying to get a spinning car back under control. As a result the batteries are well protected and very firmly attached. In a modern car it is rare to find a battery mounted where it is in my car - directly behind the headlight thus almost the first thing to be impacted!

This long winded explanation sounds absurd. You really think anti-lock brakes or traction stability control could keep a car from going into an uncontrollable spin after a serious impact at speed or than any of this technology would could prevent a cigarette lighter or miniUSB plug for coming loose under such circumstances? This too sounds like rationalization. It also ignores what may be happening with the other out of control vehicles involved in the accident which you or your vehicle could do nothing about. Additionally, your explanation ignores any potential road conditions like wet weather, ice or snow. There are numerous contingencies that the technologies you cite can simply not overcome. You sound like someone who has never witnessed or been involved in a serious collision. Many here on DCT have regularly reported losing power to their cameras for far more benign reasons than a serious vehicular accident as well.

biggest single problem with most cameras in a big hit is they come flying off the mount due to inertia

Reactions: Mtz
Personally, at one time I had occasional issues with a miniUSB plug working itself loose from vibration (living on a rural road). It still worked but was apparently at risk of disconnecting in an impact. Twice it actually did disconnect the camera. This experience indeed has made me a little paranoid about what might happen during a serious accident. It also has made me pay more attention to mounting cameras as securely as possible. (as did an accident reported by @BobDiaz awhile ago)

Last edited by a moderator:
biggest single problem with most cameras in a big hit is they come flying off the mount due to inertia
I guess the video isn't of much use then as they are pointing the wrong direction and in the wrong location!

This long winded explanation sounds absurd. You really think anti-lock brakes or traction stability control could keep a car from going into an uncontrollable spin ...
The whole point of these ESP systems with yaw sensors to detect rotation is to halt a spin and bring the car back into line and back under driver control, even if you knock the front wheels off the ESP can still steer the car back on line by selectively applying the rear brakes. Of course there are limits to what it can achieve and it does need electrical power to operate the sensors and hydraulic ABS valves but can certainly change the final outcome.

The whole point of these ESP systems with yaw sensors to detect rotation is to halt a spin and bring the car back into line and back under driver control, even if you knock the front wheels off the ESP can still steer the car back on line by selectively applying the rear brakes. Of course there are limits to what it can achieve and it does need electrical power to operate the sensors and hydraulic ABS valves but can certainly change the final outcome.

Perhaps when these systems become more universally available but at this point in time a great many vehicles on the road do not have them. Either way, this seems to me like a highly tangential subject to drag into this discussion.

electronic stability control is mandatory on all new cars in Australia also, as pointed out though the majority of cars on the road don't have it, in years to come as the numbers increase I'm sure it will make a lot of difference

electronic stability control is mandatory on all new cars in Australia also, as pointed out though the majority of cars on the road don't have it, in years to come as the numbers increase I'm sure it will make a lot of difference
You keep your old cars on the road for so long in Australia that it will take some time!

We have had ESC on a lot of cars for years now, it may be a few more years before the majority have it but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority on our motorways already have it.

Maybe the USA is behind the times, but in Europe stability control systems are mandatory on all new vehicles: http://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-safety/the-ratings-explained/safety-assist/esc/

"Behind the times?" Hardly. You just can't seem to refrain from your constant digs at the USA. Fact is that unlike the nations in Europe, this is a very big country with a huge numbers of vehicles on the road. It takes a bit more time for new technologies to become ubiquitous here.

Please, all return to the subject of this thread ie super capacitor on Mini 0806 or this dasm camera will turn in an ABS ESP DO IT ALL DASH CAMERA. Thank you.

Not the case. Many have reported losing power from their camera after an impact.

This is basically rationalization and misses the point. You really want to bargain that your electric system will still be functional after an accident that bad? Additionally, there have been many instances where the camera simply becomes unplugged due to an impact from an accident.

Actually, what is your point? You seem to be suggesting that having a camera that can record a number of seconds of video after losing power isn't a good idea or wouldn't be desirable during a serious accident.
The point is there is no magic number.
10 secs is not a magic number nor 20 secs nor 30 secs.
If you are that worried about footage after impact, you need to record for a lot longer than 10 secs.

1st issue here is that dashcam's battery is horrible in most models so it's never possible to count on them.
2nd is when we are talking about caps in dashcam, your logic of after footage nowhere.

So what's the magic number?

True, there is no magic number and I'm not advocating for one or the other. This whole discussion started because I simply attempted to answer Nigel's question - "I have never understood why it keeps going for 10 seconds, is there actually a reason?"

There is another reason, it avoids a hole in your video when you restart your engine and the power, or just voltage, is cut for a second or two.

WOW! I missed a LOT over the last few days... Most of it was almost good to miss, but the below is really interesting!

my supper CAP mini 0806 works great on my car from last month, since I changed the battery and reworked a short power off delay firmware.
and my mini 0806 stand there behind my rearview mirror for 4 monthes. I left the boot sound ON so I know it is working.

Will this firmware be released soon? Or could it get leaked? ;)

The super cap (or lack of) is one of the biggest reasons I have started looking into different cameras. I like the mount of the Mini's and the 0806 seems to have up'ed the picture so it's really only missing the super cap.

Edit: Also I think the Mobius cap is just two 5F 2.7V caps in series therefore providing 2.5F at 5.4V. I used something similar on my 0803 just without the wire leads. They are the Eaton Bussmann super caps, specifically the P/N: PHV-5R4V255-R.

Last edited:
There is another reason, it avoids a hole in your video when you restart your engine and the power, or just voltage, is cut for a second or two.

IMHO that is the good one ! That is why I think that 5 sec super caps won't be sufficient without a second power source as permanent lighter socket or hardwired kit

I am definitely interested in a capacitor model of 0806, but don't see how a capacitor can fit into the small case.

Back