Mini 806 Capacitor Model?

or modify the housing mold with a bulge to fit the capacitor.

I wonder if a capactor model would still be called 0806 or they will change the model number.

or modify the housing mold with a bulge to fit the capacitor.
No need, the 0806 batch 3 housing has already been modified to fit the capacitor.

No need, the 0806 batch 3 housing has already been modified to fit the capacitor.
What do you mean by that? Is the manufacturer really planning to create a capacitor model of 0806 in their 3rd batch?

What do you mean by that? Is the manufacturer really planning to create a capacitor model of 0806 in their 3rd batch?
It appears that it will be an option at some point, although probably some time in the future, the 3rd batch must be about to be shipped.

3rd batch differences:

HOUSING:
rework the rotating ring and housing, to avoid the GPS cable cutting
remove the unwanted plastic materials to fit in a super cap battery

If I bought mine from gearbest.com and it was shipped Apr 7 2015, what batch is that from? Will there be a tutorial for DIY people on how to switch from battery to capacitor?

If I bought mine from gearbest.com and it was shipped Apr 7 2015, what batch is that from? Will there be a tutorial for DIY people on how to switch from battery to capacitor?
Pretty sure 2nd batch.
3rd batch hasn't hit retailers yet.

So I'm assuming batch 2 is not compatible for a capacitor mod...

If you can find a small enough cap that fits in there, possible.

If you can find a small enough cap that fits in there, possible.

I can say from personal experience that usable super-capacitors that small are unlikely to be found. The way to do a DIY mod like this would be to mount them externally. This may or may not work however depending on the camera and how its firmware is configured but a DIY capacitor can indeed work in some circumstances even if the firmware is not programed to accommodate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main issue is the shutdown time, you will want a modified firmware before an internal capacitor will work whatever the batch, with a modified firmware it can probably be made to work satisfactorily whichever batch.

Has anyone actually removed the battery from the mini 806 and ran it without a battery or supercacitor. If so has this helped with the over heating issues?

It needs one or the other to save the last file when power is cut. I also don't think it would help overheating issues other than having more space inside the case. If that's your goal, just mount the battery or cap externally.

While testing my super cap mod, I did power up my 0803 via USB without a battery or cap installed.

Or just plug in directly and remember to stop recording before turning off the car.
It starts auto so just the stop part is to take care of.

Back