Mobius 1.20 Firmware Discussion Thread

Thanks hilts! :)

Well, FW 1.20 is no good for me. it has the same low light issues like v.0.57:
1. Light flickering when switching between low and high light
2. Slow motion movement caused by the low light issue

this is mainly visible when driving on roads that have road lights.

See here, you can download the original clip without re-encoding::
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PjYmho9VxzaFF6cjRyYzljZ0E/edit?usp=sharing

im going back to FW 1.13 until low light issues are fixed.

WDR = on
Low light = off
Ok Low Light testing done and setting removed. WDR Low Light is still causing flashing and stuttering. When it works, it amazing, yet the flashing make it very unusable.

Which leads me to a question for all Mobius users here: What firmware do you feel had the best low light? I have heard a few different answers, most seem to say 0.59 some say 0.47. The team has been working hard to improve the low light abilities of this sensor, yet was it better in a previous firmware?
I did the same: downgraded to 1.13 without changing any settings and the flickering is gone.
Does anybody now if this was reported on the RC thread or to the developer? I haven't read the support thread recently... @russ331? @Isoprop?
OK gents, I owe you all an apology.... I have just done exactly the same route (at the same time of night) for two nights on the trot with FW 1.20 and then FW 1.13 with super quality movie recording and HDR/WDR On, respectively. I have to agree that there is some flickering with oncoming headlights, off some road signs and with some streetlights when using the latest FW 1.20, whereas when using FW1.13 it is much more stable and there is no flickering present.
@Isoprop, sorry I am also going to keep using FW1.13 for the time being after seeing the difference tonight. Did anything change between FW 1.13 and FW1.20 with regard to WDR/HDR??

Last edited:
@Hilts How is FW1.13 HDR/WDR On during the day?
I have never had issues with "WDR on" in daylight. It was "WDR low light" that burned the image. (standard lens)

@Hilts How is FW1.13 HDR/WDR On during the day?
I have never had issues with "WDR on" in daylight. It was "WDR low light" that burned the image. (standard lens)
I agree, the daylight footage I have recorded with FW1.13 with HDR/WDR On has always been great (as it also is with FW 1.20 BTW).
I believe the additional "Low Light" setting came in with FW 1.17 (as a Beta FW attempt to fix SD card compatibility) and this is now called "Enhance Light" setting in FW1.2o. There was only ever HDR/WDR On or Off in FW 1.13 as far as I am aware.
For me the best 'all-round' Firmware is FW 1.13 for the variable driving conditions I encounter.
I have yet to try FW 1.20 with HDR Off though.... maybe I'll run that tonight.

I've changed directions so many times recently that I am thinking of becoming a politician... once I get out of this Cooler that is!

Last edited:
I believe the additional "Low Light" setting came in with FW 1.17 (as a Beta FW attempt to fix SD card compatibility) and this is now called "Enhance Light" setting in FW1.2o

It's still 'Low Light' in v1.20 ...

Global Recording Settings.jpg

It's still 'Low Light' in v1.20 ...
I was referring to what it has/is being called in the SYSCFG.TXT file... In FW 1.17 it was called 'Low Light' in FW 1.20 it is now called 'Enhanced Brightness' (not 'Enhance Light' as put above - Doh!). I am getting on a bit in years, so my memory (and my eyesight) isn't quite so sharp these days!

Being a "Bapple" user (as the Minions might say) I was using the SYSCFG.TXT file to change my settings, until I found http://www.mobiusgui.com, which is somewhat easier to use, many thanks to Iacopo Boccalari.:D

EDIT:
Here's the relevant line from the various FW's SYSCFG.TXT.
FW 1.13 - Movie high dynamic range=[1];set movie high dynamic range,0 off,1 on,
FW 1.17 - Movie high dynamic range=[1];set movie high dynamic range,0 off,1 on,2:Enhanced Brightness.
FW 1.20 - Movie high dynamic range=[1];set movie high dynamic range,0 off,1 on,2:Enhanced Brightness.

I stand corrected, it looks like it's always been called Enhanced Brightness. The GUI you are using has chosen to call it Low Light.

Last edited:
O.K. so I've just given FW 1.20 another go with Super Movie Quality & HDR Off. In terms of the flickering it is better than having HDR On, but the nighttime picture is not as stable as it was when using FW 1.13 with HDR On.
I'm joining others in going back to FW1.13 with HDR On for my journeys until the next FW is released...

O.K. so I've just given FW 1.20 another go with Super Movie Quality & HDR Off. In terms of the flickering it is better than having HDR On, but the nighttime picture is not as stable as it was when using FW 1.13 with HDR On.
I'm joining others in going back to FW1.13 with HDR On for my journeys until the next FW is released...

After doing some night driving myself tonight I'm also having the flickering issue. The night time video quality is also much, much worse for me on 1.20. The picture itself is good, as long as it still. As soon as movement is introduced, it's not smooth, really choppy video, kind of looks like one of those really old, cheap dash cams.

On 1.13 I had really smooth nighttime video, so I'll be going back tomorrow I think.

I updated my Mobius B to v1.20 on Sunday. GUI settings...

Basic Settings.jpg Global Recording Settings.jpg Video Mode Settings.jpg Advanced Image Settings.jpg

I've uploaded a couple of video clips ... each of 1 minute duration...

Sunlit...

Raw Video Clip... https://mega.co.nz/#!0JU1VJbA!Og7rgGI7X3zVy88FUHY8oO6KiuEFMwWCHMB-TUQdxjg (107MB download)

Streetlit...

(Don't forget to click on the 'cog' & select 1080p. Better still, download the RAW video below)

Raw Video Clip... https://mega.co.nz/#!1Y0lESAT!mmcif4PabWXqmq8bNdgj-Cso0R1WuSDZ8Gx06wJbSbw (107MB download)

The Streetlit clip is noticeably brighter than the actual conditions. I'm impressed with the 'Low Light' setting, & will be keeping it enabled.

Firmware v1.20 gets the thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
I updated my Mobius B to v1.20 on Sunday. GUI settings...

View attachment 4569 View attachment 4570 View attachment 4571 View attachment 4572

I've uploaded a couple of 'raw' video clips ... each of 1 minute duration ... each a 107MB download...

Sunlit... https://mega.co.nz/#!0JU1VJbA!Og7rgGI7X3zVy88FUHY8oO6KiuEFMwWCHMB-TUQdxjg

Streetlit... https://mega.co.nz/#!1Y0lESAT!mmcif4PabWXqmq8bNdgj-Cso0R1WuSDZ8Gx06wJbSbw

The Streetlit clip is noticeably brighter than the actual conditions. I'm impressed with the 'Low Light' setting, & will be keeping it enabled.

Firmware v1.20 gets the thumbs up from me.
Best of luck with it!
I suspect that once you start looking at scenes with no street lights (oncoming cars, signs, etc.) and lit areas (with downward projection street lights) that you'll notice the slight flickering with FW 1.20. It's not bad, but not as stable as with FW 1.13.

Being a relatively new Mobius user I must say that I am extremely impressed with it. What it can do for the price and size is amazing. The FW developments that have been made and those that are proposed are superb. I also think that this Forum is great, with so many people looking to help/inform others of their findings.
Thanks to everyone for their input!:)

Last edited:
I suspect that once you start looking at scenes with no street lights (oncoming cars, signs, etc.) and lit areas (with downward projection street lights) that you'll notice the slight flickering with FW 1.20. It's not bad, but not as stable as with FW 1.13.

Objectively, I want to see video that's been shot simultaneously by 2 Mobius cams, one with v1.13 & the other with v1.20.

Subjectively, I think that v1.20 delivers improved video clarity at night (Low Light setting enabled), relative to previous firmware releases. At least with Mobius B. Mobius A may perform differently? I think that v1.20 provides clearer evidence in the event of an accident at night.

If the price is a little flickering, I'm willing to pay it, though I haven't personally experienced it as yet.

Objectively, I want to see video that's been shot simultaneously by 2 Mobius cams, one with v1.13 & the other with v1.20.

Subjectively, I think that v1.20 delivers improved video clarity at night (Low Light setting enabled), relative to previous firmware releases. At least with Mobius B. Mobius A may perform differently? I think that v1.20 provides clearer evidence in the event of an accident at night.

If the price is a little flickering, I'm willing to pay it, though I haven't personally experienced it as yet.
I agree if it only a little flickering, Low Light is amazingly better at night. I was really amazed at how great it was. Unfortunately for me, the flickering was a lot and very distracting to watch.

Bad news, flickering appears also with WDR on. I installed 1.20 yesterday and had a long night drive with Mobius recording continously for 7 hours with standard video rate. No issues except for the flickerings, which don't appear so often in steady ambiental light (city street lights). Take a look at this video, no processing done. Also, note that only the low beam was used.

I have same issue with v1.20.
Didn't had it with earlier FW-s

I have same issue with v1.20.
Didn't had it with earlier FW-s
Is that Lens A or Lens B, niko?

Just looked at your Side by Side Comparisons.... how many cameras do you have???!

I have also a flickering,

Mobius B-lens FW v1.20,
AWB
1080p-W,
WDR ON,
15Mbps bit-rate

I will test soon 18Mbps + Low Light, - maybe this will help ?

I have also a flickering,

Mobius B-lens FW v1.20,
AWB
1080p-W,
WDR ON,
15Mbps bit-rate

I will test soon 18Mbps + Low Light, - maybe this will help ?
Wow, that's way more frequent than I was getting. I also have Lens B but was using 1080P-Narrow setting.

Is that Lens A or Lens B, niko?

B-lens.

Just looked at your Side by Side Comparisons.... how many cameras do you have???!

I don't even remember, hard to say ... maybe around 25-30 pcs different dashcams models I have in hand ( I keep best ones ) and another 50-60 different models I sold from the past I was testing them.
So, for sure I have them more than I have socks in my drawer ... I mean CLEAN socks, not the ones which are waiting for laundrette-time, LOL :D

Last edited by a moderator:
.....I don't even remember, hard to say ... maybe around 25-30 pcs different dashcams models I have in hand ( I keep best ones ) and another 50-60 different models I sold from the past I was testing them.
So, for sure I have them more than I have socks in my drawer ... I mean CLEAN socks, not the ones which are waiting for laundrette-time, LOL :D
Holy smokes!!:eek: Good going, puts my two to shame....

OK, maybe I'm on the right thread this time...

Ver 1.20 shuts down my Mobius 20 seconds after I put the car into drive.

I could be mistaken but I replaced 1.20 with 1.17 and my problem went away. I'm clueless as to why the 2011 Ford Explorer spits out the Mobius 20 seconds after the car is placed in drive but it is consistent. The Mobius will continue to run while the car is in park or reverse but the Mobius quits after the car is placed in drive. I've operated the car for the past two days on Ver 1.17 and camera worked flawlessly. I'm willing to work on this if someone wants to offers some suggestions. Otherwise I think 1.17 will be my last update.

Steve

Back