Mobius ActionCam Wishlist 2015

I too would love to see WiFi and Bluetooth on the Mobius but that won't happen until the camera gets a new chip-set that supports it. Then again, by the time that happens whatever new DSP ends up in the camera will likely support a whole range of new features and specs we'll all be excited about.

You mentioning connecting the Mobius to WiFi and BlueTooth reminds me of an incident a few years ago when I was on holiday and trying to copy the photographs off my iphone onto my Laptop, so booked myself into a session at the local Apple store and expected them to connect my phone to the MacBook using Wifi or BlueTooth. Instead of that the tech lady pulled out a good old fashioned USB cable, which if I'm honest was straight-forward, offered a faster connection and data speed and worked wonders - why complicate things.

So perhaps the answer may be that the Mobius just needs a 2nd USB port for those instances when we just want to copy data to our phone, PC or Mac, or perhaps take a look at where it is pointing.

So perhaps the answer may be that the Mobius just needs a 2nd USB port for those instances when we just want to copy data to our phone, PC or Mac, or perhaps take a look at where it is pointing.

The benefit of wifi and/or Bluetooth is that if the camera is mounted in an inaccessible location, one can still access the camera data without having to have a second cable permanently mounted somewhere.

The benefit of wifi and/or Bluetooth is that if the camera is mounted in an inaccessible location, one can still access the camera data without having to have a second cable permanently mounted somewhere.
Valid point, I hadn't thought about that :cool:

A chipset upgrade would be nice, one makes the mobius solve their startup problems.

I'm using Mobius as a Dashcam at home or in the car to record "moments" for weeks.

My WhishList:

- Long standby / wire free option (using PIR or any 2 wire sensor to stop/start) (like Blink camera)
- No motion detection triggered by cloud/luminosity (more by optical flow) because there is 10% of false positive
- A 3D Print case for 3 or 4 Mobius for 360° video
- A clever way to stick Mobius on walls where suction didn't work
- An easy way to extends Lens (I use extension cable but have to open/plug in/out each time)

A 32Go SDCard records 8.8H of 720P video (on average 2000 files of 12s).
I do FFMPEG on these file to H.264/WebM it reduce the size by 88% ant it takes 1.3x the video duration on a good CPU Gamer PC (so 32Go => 3.2Go for backup)

Here's an idea for an improvement. If a decent quality metal lens surround was used, rather than the most recent plasticky ones that warp when the sun comes out, then a magnetic CPL or circular polarising lens filter could be fitted as and when needed to reduce horrible dashboard reflections. Surely there must be a standard fit magnetic CPL filter that could be used in this instance?

So it's official, Mobius2 is in development with prototypes expected with the alpha test team soon. That must mean the design work is largely finished. I wonder how many of the ideas from this thread will make it into the new Mobius?

If I were betting I would say wifi setup, 1080/60 video and improvements in the mounting options to strengthen the opportunities for Mobius in the dashcam market.

I wonder if they'll stick to Novatwk and their newer chips which seem to run cooler?

Wifi would be cool but I wonder how much weight it would add as I guess they're mainly catering for the RC crowd as first priority?

All interesting times and will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new JooVuu camera as that and the Xiaomi Yi will be taking sales from Möbius in multiple markets

I wonder if they'll stick to Novatwk and their newer chips which seem to run cooler?

Wifi would be cool but I wonder how much weight it would add as I guess they're mainly catering for the RC crowd as first priority?

All interesting times and will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new JooVuu camera as that and the Xiaomi Yi will be taking sales from Möbius in multiple markets

Hi reverend,
We're not competing with the Mobius team, different price brackets, different strategies, different everything really. Yes in theory we are as they are both camera's used for car cameras, but it is like saying Mobius and StreetGuardian are...whilst technically they are...they're not really.

You have also three groups with the camera's you mentioned

1) JooVuu X - Brand new, going to be hard to win people over.
2) Mobius - incredible support, quality, features, updates etc, people looking for an incredibly product with an incredible price - because of this they have a very loyal and vocal following that is growing each hour.
3) Xiaomi - people looking for a bargain, paying virtually nothing for the product but have less product loyalty usually.

So the question is not how will the Mobius do again us and Xiaomi but how we will do against the Mobius. They are the ones to beat and boy do they set the bar high.

Kind regards,

Dan

Minor addition to the Mobius firmware please :)

I wonder whether the option for '1 minute' video cycle time could added in addition to the current 3, 5, 10 and 15 minute options as shown below if it's not too much trouble.

VIDEO MODE
Movie Cycle time=[0];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte,

All of these suggestions I agree with.

My wish is simple, get rid of the overlap between clips. There should be no dropout in recording when a new clip is generated and no overlap. Putting clips together is a real pain with the overlap..

ALL of the file formats with no overlap. I use my cam for long drives (9+ hours). It would be nice to seamlessly join them without having to mess around with them so much.

Long term memory retention (2 x 128GB+ SD cards) for perhaps two to three weeks video recording.

I had suggested previously to allow for an external HDD to be attached to the cam and use it as the storage media instead of SD cards. It was shot down. But I still think that's the way to go. With the new SSD drives, there's no worry about it being jolted. And the drive can be wired into the vehicle to receive it's power instead of drawing it through the cam. 400-500Gb SSD drives are readily available and their prices are dropping. You can buy one right now for the price of 2 x 128Gb SD cards, and you get double the storage.

Some type of WiFi or Bluetooth option to connect to your smartphone would be great. I'd love to be able to play back or copy a video to my phone. That would offset the lack of LCD on the Mobius and would also keep the size down too.

Bluetooth would be better than WiFi in my opinion, but if it had WiFi instead of Bluetooth, I'd still be interested.

I would lastly like to see more 90 degree cables available, and in more lengths. I don't like having lots of extra cable left over that I have to try and hide somewhere. And I would like the option of a 90 degree up as well as down, depending on which vehicle I've got and how I'm going to mount the cam.

cables are no issue, the other things you want are not supported by the chipset

It's interesting that you say that differing lengths of cables and connectors are no problem because I can't source a 3m long cable with a 90 degree up or down connector for my Mobius anywhere (including the manufacturer of the Mobius) and there must be a market for a longer cable than the 2 metre currently on sale which simply isn't long enough.

Do you have the contact details for a supplier of these cables because that would be fantastic to know?

cables are no issue, anything you want is doable, buying one only can be a problem though

what I meant was the cable you want can easily be addressed, the other stuff is not possible due to hardware limitations

cables are no issue, anything you want is doable, buying one only can be a problem though

what I meant was the cable you want can easily be addressed, the other stuff is not possible due to hardware limitations

Fair comment, but what I don't understand is why no cable manufacturer has realised that there is indeed a demand for a longer power cable (say 3 metre) with a 90 degree up or down connector to the camera, because most cars need more than 2 metre currently available with this type of connector, compared to the 3 metre cables on offer with the straight connectors.

Cable manufacturers don't just make random cables and people buy them, everything is built to order, if the wholesale buyer wanted to order then any practical combination is possible

Agree that 2m cables are useless for this application

Hello all.

Here are four cables to look at.
http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-right-angle-mini-b5-male

http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-left-angle-mini-b5-male

http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-up-angle-mini-b5-male

http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-down-angle-mini-b5-male

Molded, angled connector hoods solve difficult connection issues in tight places. Four mold options each for USB mini B5 style connectors are now available. These high quality constructed cables feature USB 2.0 compliant 28 AWG power leads and are finished in an attractive black color.

Up to 5m in length

CABLK90RAB Bulk cable spec (3).JPG

Fair comment, but what I don't understand is why no cable manufacturer has realised that there is indeed a demand for a longer power cable (say 3 metre) with a 90 degree up or down connector to the camera, because most cars need more than 2 metre currently available with this type of connector, compared to the 3 metre cables on offer with the straight connectors.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/ucablecam5b.html

Available in numerous configurations but as a specialty item tends to be rather costly, unfortunately. PTZ's links look to be much more reasonable.

Last edited:
Hello all.

Here are four cables to look at.
http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-right-angle-mini-b5-male

http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-left-angle-mini-b5-male

http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-up-angle-mini-b5-male

http://www.l-com.com/usb-right-angle-usb-cable-straight-a-male-to-down-angle-mini-b5-male

Molded, angled connector hoods solve difficult connection issues in tight places. Four mold options each for USB mini B5 style connectors are now available. These high quality constructed cables feature USB 2.0 compliant 28 AWG power leads and are finished in an attractive black color.

Up to 5m in length

View attachment 14807

Wow, thank you PTZ for the information which is just what I've been looking for, though I've tried placing a few items into the basket and the site just freezes up, with the browser message that the server isn't responding - just my luck!

Back