Mobius. Daily use? Recharge daily? Press record every time you start the car?

GoodEnough

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you use it real life?

Do you mount it on your rear view, and press power then shutter record every time you get into the car?

What about charging? Do you take it out of the car every single drive, and recharge it?
Do you hook up a cig lighter charger to it every time you park?

Last edited:
How do you use it real life?

Do you mount it on your rear view, and press power then shutter record every time you get into the car?

What about charging? Do you take it out of the car every single drive, and recharge it?
Do you hook up a cig lighter charger to it every time you park?

Dash cams are often referred to as "BlackBoxes",.....like a blackbox recorder in an airliner, something that runs quietly and automatically in the background recording your journey without your having to think about it most of the time. That is how most of us generally use our dash cams.

If you will be using it as a dashcam go for the optional capasitors, the lipo batteries dont go well with "constant" charging or high summer temperatures.

With most cameras you are able to take them out of the car, but i think most prefer to have ther camera in the car all the time, i do that myself too.

When you have done the setup of the mobius on the computer it just need to be plugged in, then when you turn on the car the PSU for the camera wake up and send power, and that in turn trigger the mobius to wake up and start recording.

Dashcams need to be hands free, otherwise you forget it at home, or forget to turn it on.
So all dashcams will start to record as soon as they get power.

Dash cams are often referred to as "BlackBoxes",.....like a blackbox recorder in an airliner, something that runs quietly and automatically in the background recording your journey without your having to think about it most of the time. That is how most of us generally use our dash cams.

Yea, and I'm obviously asking how the F one accomplishes that.
There is no way I'm charging this piece of junk EVERY time I drive, and even turning it on EVERY single time I drive is not seamless enough.

How does one make Mobious a BLACK BOX

There is no way I'm charging this piece of junk EVERY time I drive, and even turning it on EVERY single time I drive is not seamless enough.

The camera is hardly a "piece of junk".

As has previously been suggested to you, read the Owners Manual. It is all right there plain as day.

Connect the camera to the 12V cigarette lighter in your car using a plug-in USB power adapter and a USB-A to mini-B cable. Then set the camera up using the supplied and downloadable mSetup app on your computer to automatically begin operating when you start your car. Set the camera to power off when you shut your car off.

HINT - see the "Power On - Auto Record" entry in the manual which is followed immediately by "Power-Off Disconnect" .

Mobius_001.jpg

Once set up with mSetup and power connected to your car's switched power source, it'll work as your car's radio does. When you switch your car ignition on, camera turns on. Switch car off, Camera turns off. Just like your car's radio. As you drive, camera will get charged from your car.

Chill dude.

You're supposed to keep it in the car plugged in to the 12v and just forget about it.

Yea, I want to hard wire this, and not have cig lighter cables dangling around.

How do you guys hardwire the Mob to your 12v power source?
I've done this with radar detectors (wired to the fuse box) but not with a USB type of cable.
What sort of cable do you order?

Yea, I want to hard wire this, and not have cig lighter cables dangling around.

How do you guys hardwire the Mob to your 12v power source?
I've done this with radar detectors (wired to the fuse box) but not with a USB type of cable.
What sort of cable do you order?

You don't need to have any cables "dangling around" regardless of how you install your camera. Most of us do a neat and tidy install, securing and hiding all the cables.

Either way, if you wish to hard wire the camera you need an adapter to convert the 12VDC automobile power to 5VDC for the camera, since you won't be plugging an adapter into a cigarette lighter 12V socket. You also need to tap into your car's wiring and protect the camera with a fuse using an "Add-A-Fuse".

The "Add-A-Fuse" looks like this:

addafuse.jpg

The converters look like this:
convert1.jpg

For cable I would recommend a 10 foot USB-A to mini-B 5 pin from Monoprice.
Just cut the USB-A plug off and you'll have what you need. (These 28 AWG shielded cables are what I use and they work well up to 15 feet in length for most applications.)

Note: Monoprice also sells a heavier wire gauge cable with a ferrite bead as well as other lengths. For the quality you get there is not a cheaper, better supplier.

Last edited:
Thanks!

One more thing, can someone post a link to a mounting thing that has the female threaded bolt hole that Mob came with? Would like to maybe just mount via suction cup, etc. Or maybe just Velcro on the dash?

Thanks!

One more thing, can someone post a link to a mounting thing that has the female threaded bolt hole that Mob came with? Would like to maybe just mount via suction cup, etc. Or maybe just Velcro on the dash?

The "female threaded bolt hole" is a standard 1/4-20 tripod mount, so there are many mounts that will work.

Why not spend some time perusing the "Mobius Mounting Solutions" thread" to get some ideas for what will work best for your situation?

One of my 'pieces of junk' has around 200,000 miles of use on it.
Most of the better retailers of the mobius will also sell the suction cup mount. Just get one when you order the cam, and preferably the capacitor kit, and get the mobius in your hands, and working in your car. Play with it a bit. You'll probably come up with better or different mounting solutions when you have it. :)

Back